Getting involved and suitability?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
atomicjade
Super Bully

Getting involved and suitability?

Postby atomicjade » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:07 am

I was wondering... how do you tell what kind of sport your dog would excel most/enjoy? I've always wanted to do something with Odyssey but just never knew what or how to go about doing so. I did consider Dock Dogs as she loves the water but alas, flat out refuses to jump off the side of anything :tongue: . So how did you become involved in your dog sport of choice and why is your dog best suited for it?

nic
Forum Junky

Re: Getting involved and suitability?

Postby nic » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:13 pm

I chose agility because I like it best.
But because my dogs love to work for a toy,with the right training they could enjoy ay sport I think.
My dogs are fast,and agile,which obviously helps with agility,but I'm starting back to working trials (bit like schutzhund) next week with Shady,and I'm sure he'll be just as good at that.So long as they are motivated to work for you,you can try any sport.
Find out if there are any clubs in your area,and ask to go along and watch a session or two,and just try. :)

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby abbybaby2011 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:10 pm

ok well i am in the same boat, well sort of. Abby & Petey are both extremely enerjetic, and live to please. I believe they would do well in a sport, but i kont know what to do with them either. Plus it does not help that I live in a very small town, and I have searched for things in or around my area and nothing comes close.

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:28 pm

I think the best way to pick, is to go and see events first!
And then pick by affordability(traning facility etc), and then just DO IT! ;)
There are sports/activities that doesn't require a training facility, or teachers, you can do it on your own.
So no matter where you live.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:13 am

I chose to get involved initially in Rally, since it seemed more relaxed and 'easier' Martin has had both knees repaired, so agility was out (though, in reality I think a SUCCESSFUL venture into any of the obedience based sports, including Agility are based on the same type of foundation) We are having a blast in Obedience now, and I love, love, love the reception he gets at shows.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:07 pm

I got Xanny to be a show dog, but she let me know that it was too dull. So I started to look around for something else to do. We played at lots of things, but her passion was bitework. I think she'd fire up now at 13 if she saw a decoy or a sleeve.
I got Soleil to do RingSport, but she's way too man soft. She is drivey, so I did serious weight pull w/her for a few years. But, I really fried her on that, she was very good for a while, but then found it increasingly frustrating. So we switched to agility 3 years ago, which we both love. She's just getting better, so I think we've found her niche.
Scheme is bred to be a weight pull dog, but her breeder chose her for me based on her temperament, knowing I would do other things w/her as well. We're doing foundation for wp and also agility, and it's going very well. If she should wind up too dog aggressive for agility, I'll try Ringsport w/her.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:46 pm

See what's out there, see what interests you, and then give it a try and see what your dog's response is. I got my Border Collie to be an agility dog. We suck at agility. I had no interest at all in flyball, but got talked into trying an intro class. He learned the game in three and a half months and ran a 4.0 his first time out, so we've stuck with that. He thinks it's the best game ever and I've learned that it's far more interesting to train than it looks from the outside.

I think the best way to figure out where you belong is to try it and see if you like it. If that doesn't seem like the right game for you and for your dog, try something else. I never thought I'd enjoy training traditional obedience more than agility, but gosh I totally do. I didn't expect to be a hardcore into flyball, but my dog loves it so much it's hard to not be excited about it.

abbybaby2011
Adolescent Bully

Postby abbybaby2011 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:40 pm

anyone know of a good website that i can go to, to research the diffrent sports i could get into with my dogs, and how to get started?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:11 pm

You can start with this post:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=133601

Return to “Dog Sports”