When did weight pull with bull breeds catch on?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Bullseye

When did weight pull with bull breeds catch on?

Postby Bullseye » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Haven't posted for a while, just wondering when weight pull with bull breeds (or any breed for that matter really) caught on? I know it started in the 80's in England, but sactioned weight pull has only been here since 2005, its a great sport and I have to say I prefer to compete under the sanctioned rules (no baiting no touching ect..) I compete under the UPFUK but its now catching on in the Irish Republic too (first UPF pull in Galway August this year) Ok I'm running on a bit now lol... yeah.. when did it start and does anyone on here have any pics from WP 'back in tha day'?

Thanks in advance.

~John~

Bullseye

Re: When did weight pull with bull breeds catch on?

Postby Bullseye » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:55 pm

bump

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Actually, I was trying to search and see what I could find out. IWPA doesn't have their archives up. They were started as a sled dog organization, but they allow all breeds to pull. ADBA doesn't have any WP history listed. I'd guess the 80's. I've only been involved for about 10 years, so that doesn't help any.

I'm going to ask this at the risk of sounding like a complete snotty ass. How is the pulling in Ireland? With very, very few exceptions, the WP I see from outside of the states looks bad. Lots of baiting, dogs banging and sling-shotting.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Thank you Leslie :)

Well the only WP I've had anything to do with in Ireland is sanctioned by the UPF, which don't allow baiting of any kind.. similar rules to APA... UPF is the org that Bullseye (and soon Maisey :) ) pull under in England, they're also in Germany as well.. yes I agree it really makes me see red when people bait their dogs.. That's why I only go the sanctioned pulls now :)

ellie@ny
Matured Bully

Postby ellie@ny » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Well I can only tell you what I've heard, it can be true or not..lol
The first wp's were held at sled races, just for fun, obviously involving only the sled dog breeds.Started around the 1970's..
Then a couple of people had decided to create the first official wp association(1984?), called IWPA.(International weight pull Association).They were open for all breeds with no registration needed.
First the sled dog breeds were the popular ones, then the other breeds started to come out and take over..(*JK!!! lol but it IS true!!! lol )
I believe the ADBA had started around the same time,but only for ADBA registered dogs.
The UKC had created wp around 2002-03?(Leslie should know this!),and I believe APA had to start around that time as well, not sure about that one.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info Ellie... :)

Sagebrush
Newborn Bully

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:50 pm

ellie@ny wrote:The first wp's were held at sled races, just for fun, obviously involving only the sled dog breeds.Started around the 1970's..
Then a couple of people had decided to create the first official wp association(1984?), called IWPA.(International weight pull Association).They were open for all breeds with no registration needed.
First the sled dog breeds were the popular ones, then the other breeds started to come out and take over..

I have IWPA newsletters from 1987 thru about 2000.
IWPA started out most strongly in the Rocky Mountain area, with well-attended pulls in Denver,Greeley, Casper, Montana, Canada, put on by the sled-dog people. It branched out from there.
The very first Pit Bulls were seen in the Denver area with Mark Landers' dogs and my Am Staf in the mid 80s.
Edgar Eddington arrived on the scene in Greeley, CO in December of 1987 and promptly took the sport to a whole new level. His training methods were embraced by Mark Landers who went on to dominate the lower weight classes with his Pit Bulls for many years.

Maybe it's the way I was first exposed to it (snow-pulling), but I'll take a good snow-pull any day over any other kind. The dog has to deal with so much more than the weight. The pulling pad changes constantly and can go from a slick, fast surface in the morning to a slushy, melting one by afternoon. The dogs have to deal with so much more. Strategy becomes more a part of the game. Watching a good snow dog (mostly the Huskies) dance back and forth across the snow, looking for the best footing and then backing up to break the runners loose with that first lunge is fun to watch.

And I have to say the best pulling dog I ever saw bar none was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. He could pull on any surface and was at his best when the surfaces got tore up or slushy. Good ol' Dakota!

I wonder who might want these magazines. Definitely lots of info here for IWPA and would want it used by that organization, not to disappear in someone's personal collection.

Carla

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:09 am

Sagebrush wrote:Maybe it's the way I was first exposed to it (snow-pulling), but I'll take a good snow-pull any day over any other kind. The dog has to deal with so much more than the weight. The pulling pad changes constantly and can go from a slick, fast surface in the morning to a slushy, melting one by afternoon. The dogs have to deal with so much more. Strategy becomes more a part of the game. Watching a good snow dog (mostly the Huskies) dance back and forth across the snow, looking for the best footing and then backing up to break the runners loose with that first lunge is fun to watch.

I haven't seen snow, no desire to, until this. It sounds really fascinating to watch.

Return to “Dog Sports”