Info on lure coursing?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
jamielvsaustin

Info on lure coursing?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:42 am

On the 29th of January we'll be taking Trooper and Bailey to participate in a fun run. I'm somewhat nervous and not sure what to expect. And insight? Here's the site: http://lurecoursebrevard.com/

I'm not looking for our dogs to be professionals at it, but I think it'd be something fun for them to do. It isn't expensive and I at least want to go and try it. There are two things that make me nervous. I'm most nervous about other people not being responsible with their dogs. We'll have our guys properly leashed, and we'll bring crates for them when they're not running. I plan to let them run by themselves. And the second thing that makes me nervous....what if Trooper doesn't stay on the course?

We have a basket muzzle (Baskerville Ultra) for Trooper (that so far he loves) but I don't know if it'd be safe for him to run in (it's not like the one on the gorgeously tannish/red dog who's name I can't remember) . He can eat treats through it, and drink water...and pant...but when Trooper really pants his mouth is opened very wide. Would it be okay to let him run in it and then when he's finished take it off so he can cool down?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Info on lure coursing?

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:27 pm

I've done some fun runs with my dogs, and Tess has participated in an AKC CAT, so I know a little. A lot of it depends on how it's handled by the people organizing it. I looked at the link you posted, and it sounds as though they take owners controlling their dogs seriously, so if they live up to what they state, that should alleviate your concerns. They do specifically say that dog aggressive dogs are allowed if the owner controls them, so it sounds as though they do try to keep dogs away from each other.

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing enough about your dogs. Is Trooper particularly DA? My own opinion is that fun as coursing is, it's not something I'd be comfortable doing with a really DA dog. A reactive dog should not be a problem, since they'll be focused on the lure. But if a dog is likely to want to go out of it's way to attack another dog, I'd consider it a bit risky. They may have a set up that allows the dog to run without seeing any other dogs, in which case that wouldn't be an issue, but the events I've been at, the other dogs are standing around waiting their turn. Not right by the course, but not super far, either.

Your dog should be able to run in a basket muzzle, when running in pairs, some dogs do run muzzled. (I've only done it with dogs running singly)

The main thing I would remember is that the dogs tend to be keyed up and excited, so you do have to be extra vigilant. At the CAT I took Tess to, I got careless waiting for her first run (I didn't get her out of her crate until it was nearly her turn, because I knew how excited she would be), and my grip on her leash slipped, so she got away from me and ran out onto the course while another dog was finishing it's run. :oops: It was okay, since Tess was entirely focused on the lure and not interested in the other dog, which was also not that interested in Tess. And the sighthound people who were running the event were used to naughty dogs, so they were pretty nonchalant about it (someone just said "nice catch!" when I finally managed to snag hold of Tess, who'd been trying to avoid me so she could stay with the lure). But definitely a wake-up call to be extra careful around the lure!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 pm

i took tucker for a fun run here in orlando, and it was a lot of fun ... but it didn't quite click with him. at one point, the lure took a sharp turn in one direction and tucker just kept running straight ahead and then just ran wherever he wanted. kind of hilarous, but cute.

it was fun, and the people who ran the course only ran dogs together that they had already worked with and knew how they responded to the lure, which was cool. limited the opportunity for dogs to get bratty with one another, though it is a super-exciting thing for the dogs to do ...

have fun! hope your dogs are more in tune with the lure than tucker was! roflmao

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Sarah wrote:IYou'll have to forgive me for not knowing enough about your dogs. Is Trooper particularly DA?

I think Trooper is more reactive than aggressive. I say that because we have him around other dogs without issue (dogs that we've dog sat and he is slowly introduced to), and not every single dog he sees does he act like he wants to eat it. But he's rude...and I think that's because we've prevented him from interacting with a lot of dogs. So when he gets the chance to greet another dog he is so interested in smelling their butt he will lift the dog off of the ground. In addition to that he will not put up with a correction from another dog. If he smells a dog and lifts it's butt and the dog snarks, Trooper will snark right back.

We can have him in public and focusing on us while other dogs are around. I can see it's hard for him-but he does it (like when we had him temperment tested). I'm just worried he won't be interested in the lure enough to not be distracted by other dogs.

I've talked to the lady a few times over email and it sounds like they're looking for a new location for this months run, and if it works out the course itself if fenced off.

I definitely want to go. Whether or not Trooper will participate, I guess will depend on what's going on. I'm happy to hear him running in the muzzle isn't a bad idea. I will feel much more comfortable if it is a fenced course...and then if the participating people are responsible.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 pm

BabyReba wrote:i took tucker for a fun run here in orlando, and it was a lot of fun ... but it didn't quite click with him. at one point, the lure took a sharp turn in one direction and tucker just kept running straight ahead and then just ran wherever he wanted. kind of hilarous, but cute.

it was fun, and the people who ran the course only ran dogs together that they had already worked with and knew how they responded to the lure, which was cool. limited the opportunity for dogs to get bratty with one another, though it is a super-exciting thing for the dogs to do ...

have fun! hope your dogs are more in tune with the lure than tucker was! roflmao

Do you think either of your other dogs would have liked it? Are you available the 29th to find out :)

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:01 pm

doc might like it, but he's kinda achey sometimes, so he's not very fast anymore.

i could maybe try tucker at it again ... and i think i am free on the 29th! maybe i'll bring tucker out just for fun ... he LOVES to run, even if he's not really the sharpest knife in the drawer. plus, then i'd get to meet you guys!

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:25 pm

I really enjoy lure sports, but I haven't gotten to really expand on it because most events within my travel range have been for the sighthounds.

I started when Dakota had dog-dog issues and not once did we have to worry about it. And I told them how he was, they said no problems as long as I keep him contained. Most dogs are amped up there anyway, a dog friendly dog could become reactive with all the excitement.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:07 pm

I just got this email:
Hello Everyone,

Great news, the January event is a go! It will be held at the Wickham Park Pavilion on January 29th. Attached is the flyer :) If you haven't ever been to the Wickham Park Pavilion, it is a beautiful location with a HUGE field perfect for coursing! It is right next to BCC's Melbourne campus on Wickham Rd. I can't wait to see how the dogs like the great space.

Sunday, January 29th, 2012

3845 North Wickham Road
Wickham Park Pavilion Area
Melbourne, FL 32935

We are going to try TWO sessions this time to accommodate everyone's schedules and to cut down on wait times, the first will be from 10am - 12pm and the second will be from 1pm - 3pm. Please arrive a little before the session begins so you and your dog are ready to run! Select the session you want on the registration form, or if you have already registered for January, please email me with what session you prefer. You are still welcome to come and register the day of the event.

There are a few important changes that come with the new location:

1.Bathrooms! - The bathrooms at the pavilion itself will be open and available.
2.Parking - Parking is right up front, and additional parking is available at BCC
3.Rules - The leash rule still applies, there are no kiddie pools allowed, but there is water available and I will provide bowls for your dogs.

4.Fencing - We will be using a taller temporary fence for the lure field.
5.Food - We will not be vending any food at the January event (looking into this possibility in the future) but you are welcome to bring your own!
6.Pricing - I have adjusted the rates ($15 for one dog, $10 for each additional) to help offset the cost of field rental and insurance, Wickham has really worked with me to keep rates as low as possible so that this can remain a fun and affordable event for everyone!

Lure Course Brevard ALWAYS welcomes feedback and input. Please email me by responding to this email or admin@lurecoursebrevard.com.

See you all on the 29th!

Meghan Wolfgram
Lure Course Brevard

I figure, we can register both dogs and if I feel Trooper can't handle it than the cost of his runs can be a donation. I'm sure if they make any money from the event it isn't much.

I'm familiar with Wickham Park Pavillion and have been there for a few dog events, as well as the annual Strawberry Festival they have here and though I know nothing about coursing I agree it's the perfect spot. It's a very large area. Now I'm starting to feel excited instead of nervous :))

jamielvsaustin

Info on lure coursing?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:21 am

Both Trooper and Bailey LOVED it!

I'm sad-my phone won't let me upload videos. I've posted them on facebook if anyone is interested. This picture was put up on the lure course website:ImageImage

Only one dog got loose while we were there...and we were by the truck so we just put Trooper up. Everyone helped the lady catch the dog. All the other dogs were on leashes.

Bailey was a little confused the first run, but once she figured it out she was barking like a banshee when the other dogs were running, and her second run was much better.

Trooper HAULED ass! He was the fastest runner out there until a little staffy showed up-she was like a rocket! He wasn't at all distracted by the other dogs (while running) and he didn't mind the muzzle at all.

I'll still never be used to the chocolate people talk. Even though I've been exposed plenty of times, even though I've almost come to expect it, it still...stings. The people involved in running the course were phenomenal. I want to do it again next month. The dogs were absolutely zonked last night...and even still seemed so this morning.

Return to “Dog Sports”