Questions about agility and training

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Questions about agility and training

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Hello, ive been curious about agility for a while now, and at a recent pet expo i went to, they had a small course set up that anyone could use so i took my girl out there and she did great walking across the ladder i believe its called, but was a little skeptical of the a frame and a few of the other obstacles. i was wondering whats the best way to train them for this at home... i dont have a vehicle and transportation is a bit lacking for getting anywhere, let alone the cost of real classes is something i just cant afford right now especially since it may only be something for fun, not competition. On that note, what is a competition like...is it something thats pretty easy to do, and what type of prizes do you win? I know nothing about it other then what ive seen in videos so cant really decide if i would wanna do competition or not at this point.

A little about my girl, shes fairly well trained for sit lay down shake and usually stay, but when theres new people or new dogs around, or even her tennis ball, she seems to become highly ADD or ADHD and its hard to get her to focus and stay for any period of time. Shes my first dog, and ive had her for going on 3 years now. shes almost 4 (best guess being a rescue dog) but still shows interest in learning, loves to play, and she can have a very high energy play drive when she wants to (thankfully shes the type that i can also tell her to go lay down and relax and she does!)

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Questions about agility and training

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:39 pm

What I've really learned from the Agility 1 clas we did last year is, a bunch of those things you talk about her being especially the 'not so patient' etc. you really focus on in the class. I would hasten to say, no matter what you do, you should take an Agility 1 course somewhere. Because you are 'forced' to be in a classroom setting, your dog learns more than just really cool ways to go through stuff.

to be around other dogs
to focus on you
FOCUS
learns to listen to what you want them to do
learns to TRUST other objects and trust you telling them to touch, use, etc. other objects
gets a lot of energy out

Things that you'll learn is:
timing
focus on your dog AND the environment you're putting them in
how to handle your dog around other dogs >even if you think you're good
how to ask for help in getting your dog to do certain things
AND
you also can get info on different ways to get your dog to do things they don't want to do.

For instance, there is a wobbel board we practiced with, Flower could have cared less that this thing moved, she just wanted the treats I was dolling out
HOWEVER, my friends timid little thing, was petrified and it took a long time to get her out of her shell. Once she did though, there were awesome lessons learned by both her and her dog on trust AND how to work with a dog that no way in hell wanted to get on that board OR that crazy A frame but did it because they worked on thier relationship.

I'm sure there are ways to do agility at home, but as our instructor was saying and I tend to agree, if you learn the right way first, IF you decide to get into this as a competitive thing, you don't have to break bad habits (for both YOU and your DOG) and have a solid education.

...needless to say, Agility 2 starts in 4 weeks :nana: can't wait!

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:24 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:What I've really learned from the Agility 1 clas we did last year is, a bunch of those things you talk about her being especially the 'not so patient' etc. you really focus on in the class. I would hasten to say, no matter what you do, you should take an Agility 1 course somewhere. Because you are 'forced' to be in a classroom setting, your dog learns more than just really cool ways to go through stuff.

to be around other dogs
to focus on you
FOCUS
learns to listen to what you want them to do
learns to TRUST other objects and trust you telling them to touch, use, etc. other objects
gets a lot of energy out

Things that you'll learn is:
timing
focus on your dog AND the environment you're putting them in
how to handle your dog around other dogs >even if you think you're good
how to ask for help in getting your dog to do certain things
AND
you also can get info on different ways to get your dog to do things they don't want to do.

For instance, there is a wobbel board we practiced with, Flower could have cared less that this thing moved, she just wanted the treats I was dolling out
HOWEVER, my friends timid little thing, was petrified and it took a long time to get her out of her shell. Once she did though, there were awesome lessons learned by both her and her dog on trust AND how to work with a dog that no way in hell wanted to get on that board OR that crazy A frame but did it because they worked on thier relationship.

I'm sure there are ways to do agility at home, but as our instructor was saying and I tend to agree, if you learn the right way first, IF you decide to get into this as a competitive thing, you don't have to break bad habits (for both YOU and your DOG) and have a solid education.

...needless to say, Agility 2 starts in 4 weeks :nana: can't wait!

WOW thanks for all this info! i guess i might just have to wait till i can afford to do real classes then if i ever can..... on that note, anyone in the central cali area want pictures of their doggy? time to raise money! haha :P ....is there a section i can properly advertise my photography services by chance?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:30 pm

I've been bitten badly by the agility bug. It's definitely lots of fun. But, if you want to compete, you really need to know how to train your dog properly. I do spend a lot of money training, my older dog does class twice a week, my pup once a week, and I do what I can at home w/the pup most evenings (too wintery here for anything outside). I'm lucky to live close to a facility w/excellent trainers. Both my dogs really love it. Here's video of my dog at a competition last weekend, we've been competing 2 years.
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=152415
If you don't want to compete, but would like to learn more, there are probably enough videos online that could help you out. There's a lot of foundation work that can be done w/minimal equipment (I've got a plank to teach the position on the contact equipment, boxes I set up as jump standards, and a set of 6 2x2 weave poles). There are things you need to be careful with. Dogs shouldn't get started on contact equipment at full height.
I liked these videos for training foundation skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUmHNOpGrjE

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Leslie H wrote:I've been bitten badly by the agility bug. It's definitely lots of fun. But, if you want to compete, you really need to know how to train your dog properly. I do spend a lot of money training, my older dog does class twice a week, my pup once a week, and I do what I can at home w/the pup most evenings (too wintery here for anything outside). I'm lucky to live close to a facility w/excellent trainers. Both my dogs really love it. Here's video of my dog at a competition last weekend, we've been competing 2 years.
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=152415
If you don't want to compete, but would like to learn more, there are probably enough videos online that could help you out. There's a lot of foundation work that can be done w/minimal equipment (I've got a plank to teach the position on the contact equipment, boxes I set up as jump standards, and a set of 6 2x2 weave poles). There are things you need to be careful with. Dogs shouldn't get started on contact equipment at full height.
I liked these videos for training foundation skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUmHNOpGrjE

Thanks as well for the info! hopefully some day i can afford to take her to at least a beginning class, or perhaps find one we can go and sit in on to see if its for us before spending the money on it. I wish we lived in a world where money wasn't an issue and i could just go do it :P

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Work on basic obedience, and make some equipment out of wood and pvc. Home Depot is your friend LOL. There are plans online if you Google. Also, on APBT NETWORK UNIVERSITY, I have a bunch of things up that can help you get started at home. Competitions are a blast!!! I've won, ribbons, trophies and toys for the dogs at competitions. Have fun!!!

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Work on basic obedience, and make some equipment out of wood and pvc. Home Depot is your friend LOL. There are plans online if you Google. Also, on APBT NETWORK UNIVERSITY, I have a bunch of things up that can help you get started at home. Competitions are a blast!!! I've won, ribbons, trophies and toys for the dogs at competitions. Have fun!!!

thanks for the info, can you possibly link me to that site? if not here then send a pm please... im still not too sure if i wanna do competition, depends how much fun we have with the training, and yea ive heard that ill probably need obedience training as well. Thankfully my roommate can help me with that a little bit as he used to raise and show Australian Shepherds, but beyond obedience, im on my own so far unless i can meet a local or raise money for proper training classes.

Also super cute dog in your icon. LOVE the markings! is that your pup?

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 pm

well tapatalk was a paid app but i found a free one that said tapatalk client or something so testing it out. i know this is off topic but oh well, thanks for the advise lol

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:49 pm

HMM i guess i cant edit a post after some time has passed... disreguard the past post. that was meant for another topic i was on lol

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 am

GO TO WWW.apbtconformation.com and click on PIT BULL UNIVERSITY. GO TO PUPPY AGILITY from there. If you have trouble making an account pm me on here

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:GO TO http://WWW.apbtconformation.com and click on PIT BULL UNIVERSITY. GO TO PUPPY AGILITY from there. If you have trouble making an account pm me on here

Thanks, checked it out and sent you a PM lol

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 am

Agility seems like so much fun. It's really hard for me to work on the foundation stuff now that I finally have a dog that can do it (Martin has bad knees) but I know that it will pay off in the end. The place I train at is hard core. She has to have a very solid obedience foundation in place before we can take the foundation agility class, equipment is a distant dream. She has the attention span of gnat, so it's frustrating roflmao

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:40 am

Kingsgurl wrote:Agility seems like so much fun. It's really hard for me to work on the foundation stuff now that I finally have a dog that can do it (Martin has bad knees) but I know that it will pay off in the end. The place I train at is hard core. She has to have a very solid obedience foundation in place before we can take the foundation agility class, equipment is a distant dream. She has the attention span of gnat, so it's frustrating roflmao

HAHA mine is more like the attention span of a flea :P no idea what she will be like for learning obedience yet, my roommate is gonna help me train that but hes sick right now. shes definitely smart and willing to learn tho so we shall see how this goes

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Clean Run magazine is totally worth the money too. Lots of info, exercises, obstacle training, equipment and tips.

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:21 am

Mooresmajestic wrote:Clean Run magazine is totally worth the money too. Lots of info, exercises, obstacle training, equipment and tips.

hmm never heard of that. will look for it next time im at the store, thanks :)

Return to “Dog Sports”