Dock Dogs Questions

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Dock Dogs Questions

Postby Shutterwolf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 am

I was wondering about this as well as the agility, so i might as well ask people who know. Whats it take to get into dock diving and also how does your pit bull deal with the cold water? Mine shivers just from a bath outside with cold water in the hot summer heat, so i can only imagine cold water in the cooler temps. Not sure if all dock competitions use cold water, but the one i saw at the pet expo did so thats what was making me wonder...

My girl isnt nessecarily a water dog, but if her toy is in the water she doesnt care... i have pics of her playing fetch at the ocean on a warm day and she did fine there, but that wasnt jumping off a platform. i would imagine its pretty easy but ive never looked into it till now. Sorry to keep asking soo many questions, but its nice to have finally found a place like PBF :)

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dock Dogs Questions

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 am

My gal isn't a fan of water, we're working on building a positive association with water at the moment, so I can't give input on my dog's reaction first hand. (And my boy is a Lab/GSD so no issues with the cold) The Pit Bull in our club wears a vest and I've never seen him shiver. On colder days his owners bring towels to dry him off.

there are a few members that could probably give better input on that, and for me the hardest part of dock jumping was getting my throw decent. (It's still bad lol )

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:14 am

Depends on the dog my boy loves loves the water which is why we even started this sport. How ever he has no body fat he its all muscle and he doesn't like cold. He jumps in senior division under normal weather but in cold weather he jumps short or won't jump at ask as a few members here have seen*cough* Peanut at nationals was horrible because of the weather.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Shutterwolf wrote:I was wondering about this as well as the agility, so i might as well ask people who know. Whats it take to get into dock diving and also how does your pit bull deal with the cold water? Mine shivers just from a bath outside with cold water in the hot summer heat, so i can only imagine cold water in the cooler temps. Not sure if all dock competitions use cold water, but the one i saw at the pet expo did so that's what was making me wonder...

My girl isn't necessarily a water dog, but if her toy is in the water she doesn't care... i have pics of her playing fetch at the ocean on a warm day and she did fine there, but that wasn't jumping off a platform. i would imagine its pretty easy but I've never looked into it till now. Sorry to keep asking soo many questions, but its nice to have finally found a place like PBF :)

Mine loves the water. It's actually ALL about jumping and swimming for him and he will not track a toy. In fact, we had to train to actually bring back a ball when it's thrown into the water.

The pool is typically filled with either a fire hydrant that the local Fire Department opens for them or a big water truck. So it is cold to begin with and can really stay cold if it's just up for a weekend.

My lurcher doesn't care but my pit bull wears a custom wetsuit vest to stay warm. Otherwise, he will jump much shorter than he usually does.

Dock Diving is pretty easy if you are just out there having fun but once you get serious there's a lot of training that goes into it. Stuff like striding, toy tracking, form in the air, etc.

There's a lot you can do outside of the water like teaching her to sit/stay and wait for a release of you throwing the toy (mimicking the experience of the dock) and lots of conditioning work. It's helpful if you can get to a dock and work on both having the water be 2 feet below AND clear water. Many people have dogs that jump into the ocean with a nice gentle slope or jump into lakes and pond that aren't uber-clear like the pool is.

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:06 pm

FransterDoo wrote:My lurcher doesn't care but my pit bull wears a custom wetsuit vest to stay warm. Otherwise, he will jump much shorter than he usually does.

Dock Diving is pretty easy if you are just out there having fun but once you get serious there's a lot of training that goes into it. Stuff like striding, toy tracking, form in the air, etc.

thank you for the reply! where can i find doggie wetsuits or vests to keep them warm while swimming?

also i never woulda imagined you could teach a dog form in the air since you cant exactly tell one to hold their paws a certain way when jumping....or can you? O.o

Team Peanut wrote:Depends on the dog my boy loves loves the water which is why we even started this sport. How ever he has no body fat he its all muscle and he doesn't like cold. He jumps in senior division under normal weather but in cold weather he jumps short or won't jump at ask as a few members here have seen*cough* Peanut at nationals was horrible because of the weather.

sounds like that woulda been farly entertaining to see. there was a dog that made it to finals then refused to jump in durring finals at the match i saw. the crowd loved it but im sure the owner was probly a little annoyed haha.

my girl is the same with all muscle and not really any body fat, and shes not interested in the water itself, but anything that involves playing fetch with a toy shes all over it, so if theres a toy in the water, shes doin anything to get at it :P

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 pm

yeah Peanut did that to me pretty much all of nationals. he would run to the end of the dock and put on the breaks he even did a no jump :( the crowd enjoys it and it is funny but it can be frustrating while you are up there and you know what they are capable of and at the same time you understand that water is COLD i know i wouldn't want to jump in it so i don't blame him for not wanting to jump in. now when the weather is nice he is all about jumping.

fransterdoo makes the custom wetsuits!! they are really nice too. once Peanut breaks his current one down i know that i will contact her for a wetsuit. i borrowed Levi's at nationals and it fit Peanut like a glove!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:25 pm

yeah, we really couldn't find a wetsuit that fit a pit bull body well enough to actually do its job. I happen to be married to a fabrication McGyver so she made him one.

Levi at Dock Dogs ISE Las Vegas by silly_wicket, on Flickr

and more here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=152191

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:46 pm

FransterDoo wrote:yeah, we really couldn't find a wetsuit that fit a pit bull body well enough to actually do its job. I happen to be married to a fabrication McGyver so she made him one.

Ahh cool, how much would ya charge for one of these out of curiosity? can see my girl in the pictures section as well as my icon. shes roughly 50 pounds and definately a mutt. not quite a pit bull build, but not quite a dane or lab either.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 am

Not sure about other parts of the country, but in Houston, Texas they hold Dock Dogs in the dead middle of summer in a park with no trees around the pool area. It's scorching hot so the water is very welcoming even though it probably warms up to about 80 degrees give or take. They even set up little kiddie pools in the shade with water hoses while the dogs wait to dive.

I'd say practice in the middle of summer in a lake or pond. The water won't be as cold as from a faucet so it will be more enticing. Plus, baths can make dogs shiver even when the water is warm. I bathe mine inside with warm water and some of them still shiver like weenies.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:26 pm

we just did an outdoor event and it was maybe 60 degrees outside for most of the weekend. Peanut jumped better then he did in november (it was held at the same location) but he was still jumping short of his normal distance but it is better then he did this time last year. I am ready (and i am more then sure Peanut is ready) for some warm weather events.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm

These dock dog events are held in the wrong part of the country at the wrong time. They should hold it in Houston and other hot southern states in the spring or fall and in cooler parts of the country during the summer. But what do I know? :dunno:

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm

i would like to do an indoor event though :)

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:24 pm

That would be nice for the climate control, but bad if the pool broke. :wow

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:15 am

Team Peanut wrote:i would like to do an indoor event though :)

Indoor in LV at the beginning of the month and the water was still cold! Really, if the venue is 65-70 degrees, it will take a long time to bring that much water up to "room temp"

Adrianne's been suing her suits to exercise the dogs in her own pool because the water's so cold.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 pm

that is still better then outside pool temps over night :) brr we just did the one at bass pro that friday was nice temps but the rest of the weekend was cold, i pulled Peanut out of a few waves it was like mid 50s to low 60s.

how do the dogs do with jumping indoors though? does it make a difference?

Return to “Dog Sports”