Info about weight pulling?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Jenniii
Newborn Bully

Info about weight pulling?

Postby Jenniii » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Im curious about how much is too much weight, how to start her back with out hurting her,..just generally more about weight pulling. Her previous owner did it but had her pulling a four wheeler; I thought that was too much, but then again, Im no professional. My son has a smaller ATV that I could have her pull, but I just want to do it to help keep her in shape and burn energy, no competitions or anything. Shes a very high energy dog and Im sure it would help. Shes a short stocky pup, about 14 months old if that matters.

:grin:Thanks in advance!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Leslie H

Re: Info about weight pulling?

Postby Leslie H » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Before she pulls anything, it's important that she have a correctly fitted weight pulling harness. They're not that expensive, and it makes all the difference in the world. Just like you wouldn't want to go for a hike, or dance, in shoes that didn't fit.
I do pull competitively, and I'm training a young dog almost the same age, and I'd never ask her to pull something like that. But I understand that you just want your pup to have fun and burn off energy. Different surfaces that your dog pulls on make a huge difference in the resistance. Wet grass, soft ground, frozen ground, rutted, heavy grass, everything has a big effect on how much effort it takes to move something.

Shutterwolf
Matured Bully

Postby Shutterwolf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 am

Leslie H wrote:Before she pulls anything, it's important that she have a correctly fitted weight pulling harness. They're not that expensive, and it makes all the difference in the world. Just like you wouldn't want to go for a hike, or dance, in shoes that didn't fit.
I do pull competitively, and I'm training a young dog almost the same age, and I'd never ask her to pull something like that. But I understand that you just want your pup to have fun and burn off energy. Different surfaces that your dog pulls on make a huge difference in the resistance. Wet grass, soft ground, frozen ground, rutted, heavy grass, everything has a big effect on how much effort it takes to move something.

Where can you get these harnesses and how much are they?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm

The only place I'll buy a harness is Brown Dog Designs www.weightpullharness.com I do pull competitively, and have for a number of years. My youngster had her first competition pull today in fact.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:06 pm

Cost of a harness depends on where you get it from.

pulldoggies (google it, all one word) has great beginner info and lists several harness makers.
Personally I'm a huge fan of BDD (Brown Dog Design) harnesses, and her site has a lot of great info too. I have several harnesses from her and love them. Beautiful and they last seemingly forever. That's what Vi wore the year we had our all star run.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:47 am

Another vote for Brown Dog Design. Superb quality harnesses. I'm waiting on a new one now, for my young dog.

Return to “Dog Sports”