Tracking & SAR

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Tracking & SAR

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:31 pm

I went to this section today just looking at the sports and enjoying seeing some things that you all do. Some of you do 'Nosework' which I know is its own thing. But what about Tracking and SAR work?

After looking online and our forum about the organizations for each. They seem more diverse than the other sports. I kept finding organizations after organization but does that mean you start out with a certain kind of training and then diversify into an organization's lines?

More info please :))

Adrianne

Re: Tracking & SAR

Postby Adrianne » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 pm

We do IPO tracking, does that interest you?

I would suggest, as has been suggested to me, mastering one type of tracking at a time to ensure the truest grasp.

I do plan to try nosework with Backup so maybe that will teach me more about cross training tracking. We train it at my work frequently I just need a free class, my money is all tied up in obed and agility.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 pm

I really wanted to see what was out there. We have different energy levels but one true 'nose' in this house. I thought he would enjoy some work, but was not sure what groups were out there. I need to make sure the style is right for him. I like the idea of being outside but could easily go to Nosework, but wanted to see what else was out there.

There just was not a lot of info within the sports section and thought people may want to tell what they do and maybe glean a little from why they post.

Thanks for posting yours. I'll have to check it out. Once I get through it, I'll have to ask more. :))

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:36 pm

I do IPO tracking and Nosework with Apollo.

Hopefully LunchBucket will join in this conversation, he does SAR with his Pit Bull.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:36 am

PitBull-Lady wrote:I went to this section today just looking at the sports and enjoying seeing some things that you all do. Some of you do 'Nosework' which I know is its own thing. But what about Tracking and SAR work?

After looking online and our forum about the organizations for each. They seem more diverse than the other sports. I kept finding organizations after organization but does that mean you start out with a certain kind of training and then diversify into an organization's lines?

More info please :))

I do SAR with my pittie Eve. She is nationaly certified in tracking and in trailing. I hope to pass our a national cert for human remains detection in about 2 weeks with her also.

So yes SAR is possible with some of these dogs. IMO what it boils down to first is can the handler fund the training, give the time and all the other sources. We train over 48 weekends/yr and over 580 hours/ year. Almost everything we do it centered around SAR. Because we have people lives that depend on us and put training. I fund all my own gas, seminars, testes, gear, etc and it gets to be quite a bit. You are always reading new books and studying for tests. We the himan have to test on a lot of stuff also and still train the dog to test.

I always like laying that out there. The SAR world is great but is serious stuff so I always tell people you a either 100% in or you could get someone killed. If you are not no biggie you can do some akc trailing or nose work to have fun with your dog

If you still want to do SAR then what I'd suggest is hook up w/ a GOOD team....there are lots of bs teams where egos and politics rule out there. You are in va so hook up with Kevin Koocher he's from Fairfax Va I think and is a great trailing instructor. He does seminars all over thew world. I can fins you a good team thru some friends if you are interested

Get his book
http://www.amazon.com/Train-Police-Bloodhound-Discriminating-Patrol/dp/0578069865/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333808583&sr=1-1

That's wonderful foundation book. Jeff schettler has some great books and is an amazing trailing instructor.

If you want the certs that carry the most weight do North American police and working dog association (NAPWDA) and national Assosiation for search and rescue (NASAR). They are Nims complient and in the top as far as recognized tests all over the country

Remember your dog will tell you what is tis training for. Your dog might not be set up for trailing but might be a great area search dog. Never lock the dog into what you want to do...you fit what the dog wants to do! Otherwise you will ruin the dog and will hate SAR

Eve is certified thru NAPWDA in tracking and in trailing and also thru NASDN. Emmett my boxer is certified in area search with NAPWDA and NASDN.

I hope to pass NASAR human remains detection with Eve in about 2 weeks

Anything you need I am here. We can email chat on facebook, or I can get you my cell number and we can chat.
Best of luck
Lunchbucket
K9 Eve
K9 Emmett

Ps the SAR world can be full of a-holes. Having a pittie makes it worse. Usually if its not a mal, shepherd, dobe, or lab you are an outcast and really have a tough time. I proved myself and then people passed my praises so I broke thru quickly but the are still people that shun me for running a pos pit bill. Hey I have thick skin and my dog rocks so it doesn't bother me...bring it. But some people can't stand it and it really eats at them or you can't find a team that will be willing to help you out. Sad but true

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks! This is awesome because it tells me a bit more about the awesomeness you do! Now I need to look into some of the links you sent etc. I just really needed to hear some more info about it because most of what I've seen and heard is not as direct. ...but we'll talk :)

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:20 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:Thanks! This is awesome because it tells me a bit more about the awesomeness you do! Now I need to look into some of the links you sent etc. I just really needed to hear some more info about it because most of what I've seen and heard is not as direct. ...but we'll talk :)

Read up a little but watch what you read like I said. There are "master traines" that don't know poop but there are great ones too

I'd be more than happy to talk with you or put you in touch with others for mor opinions....whatever u need.

Like I said before do you have the time or the funds...that's first and formost. Then from there its how far do you want or take it and hoe ar can your dog but pushed and trained

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Any update on the route u went with your pup

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:48 pm

lol- don't know if you ever got my PM, but as I was trying to work on getting him a nice distraction... we ended up with SUPER fear of buses and apparent IBS. (still working on that diagnosis. ...then we ended up having a nutty/crazy/wacky schedule this summer and are still recovering from being 'out'.

Now that the boy is actually pooping normally and is acting more normally because he feels better, we might be able to get IN the car to go places. I'm thinking we'll just do some nosework classes for a while. He's amazing to watch in the green world though. He is nose and vision savvy, its just fun to watch!

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Did not get your pm

It sounds like SAR might not be the best option for you as it's a very stressful world working. Nose work sounds like the best option for you

Glad you are back on the up and up. Any question you have just ask

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:Did not get your pm

It sounds like SAR might not be the best option for you as it's a very stressful world working. Nose work sounds like the best option for you

Glad you are back on the up and up. Any question you have just ask

Aww man... it was a good one, I deleted it but I swear, the system chooses to cooperate only when I don't need it too. Yeah, i would be nice having a more solid 'mind' to work with. Poor buddy just can't catch a break. I thought we were on a good path and then things changed. :(

Hey, what about the baby???? We need proof Eve is going to be a big sister! :nana:

Return to “Dog Sports”