What's The Right Sport For My Dog?

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: What's The Right Sport For My Dog?

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:09 pm

While there are loose dogs in my chosen sport, Flyball, you are right in the area of a very bull breed savvy team. Phoenix Fuzion has a variety of bull breeds and bull breed mixes and terriers.

http://www.phoenixfuzionflyball.com/Meet_The_Pups.html

I'd encourage you to shoot them an email. The put a great foundation of their team. Tell them Tracy and Frances sent you!

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:14 pm

What about dock jumping, does he like the water at all?

I really like agility as well, you work a lot on teaching to dog to look to you for guidance, and it's just a ton of fun.

Lure sports can be fun as well. (Lure coursing, sprint racing, oval track)

Some other ideas:
Freestyle dance
Disc dog competition
Weight Pulling
Triebball

Keep in mind he may have some growing up to do before doing some sports as well. :)

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:38 pm

K9 Nose Work.

The sport is all about the dogs. There are NEVER any loose dogs and if you have a reactive dog (human/dog/whatever) you can request to have the entire area cleared until you enter your search area.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:26 am

With your boys age, I would continue to work Obedience (maybe some Rally) while he matures. A strong obedience foundation is useful in any sport. Use this time to find out more about the other sports and more about what your pup ends up interested in.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:35 am

Kingsgurl wrote:With your boys age, I would continue to work Obedience (maybe some Rally) while he matures. A strong obedience foundation is useful in any sport. Use this time to find out more about the other sports and more about what your pup ends up interested in.

:goodpost:

In agility, there is only one loose dog in the ring at a time. So it's entirely possible to compete with a dog who isn't real fond of other dogs, as long as the dog is under control and is not so seriously DA that it will go out of it's way to attack another dog.

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Sarah wrote:
Kingsgurl wrote:With your boys age, I would continue to work Obedience (maybe some Rally) while he matures. A strong obedience foundation is useful in any sport. Use this time to find out more about the other sports and more about what your pup ends up interested in.

:goodpost:

In agility, there is only one loose dog in the ring at a time. So it's entirely possible to compete with a dog who isn't real fond of other dogs, as long as the dog is under control and is not so seriously DA that it will go out of it's way to attack another dog.

x3 - Rally is SOOO much fun!!!

whtboo1
Newborn Bully

Postby whtboo1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Sarah wrote:

Good advice, however, if you think you might like agility, start getting him used to walking and working with you on both sides. My guide dog washout lab is 7 and still won't work from my right side, even in the agility ring. Makes for some intresting course runs lol.

You could also to look for a puppy or beginner agility class. No hard jumping or anything, usually on leash only (the one in my area is) but it helps introducing them to various obsticles they will eventually have to do...and if you decide you don't care for agility, it's still good socialazation for your boy.

I would say just try a few things and see what you and he likes...just again, keep his age in mind and don't push his body too far.

Return to “Dog Sports”