Dock Diving 101

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Re: Dock Diving 101

Postby bully_mommy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeah the pond is huge. The only thing I have around the pond is a low sea wall and grass.

That is an awesome idea about the non-slip mat.

Is there an online store I can look for some good supplies at?? Or can I find them in a reg. petstore for example petsmart?? Or could I look at my feed store.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 pm

what kind of supplies are you looking for? Rubber non slip surface can be purchased at Home Depot or similar large hardware store. Floating toys can be bought at pet stores, or online.

You might want to get him smaller ones to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Wubba-Jr-3- ... 277&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Squeaker-Dum ... 241&sr=1-2

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:30 pm

I meant supplies like the mat and if there are any special toys you may have a preference for.

I will definitely look into getting him the mat and toys.
I have a feed store locally so I will visit them and see what they have to offer in there because they carry tons and tons of different things.

If I dont find anything that I may be interested in I will go to a common pet store.
I will take a look at the links you have provided for the toys..

Thanks again!!!

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:41 pm

I pulled out the wicker basket of toys!!!!

I have those really loud squeaky cuz toys.

Apparently they float. I am going to test them in the sink.

I am crossing my fingers!!!

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Bully-mommy, are they small, puppy size cuz toys, or regular big size? Keep in mind that it will be harder for a pup to grab something round floating in the water, especially if it is too big. It needs to be something he can easily put his mouth over.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 pm

alternatively, any rubber toy should be fine. Like rubber chicken, etc.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:33 pm

We got this for Dakota, for dock diving practice:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3914999
We got the long slender one on the left with a string. He loves it, the bright colors help a lot as well.

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 am

@Siberian

I actually have all sizes of the cuz squeakies!!! From the smallest to the largest soooo it works out!!!

Thanks Celesteandthebullies for your post as well. I will look into your link.

I will be getting some more water toys as well so the other toys you guys suggested...

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm so moving to Cali. lol Red loves dock diving and has done it at the local fair last year...she jumped 9'8" or close to it. That was her first official jumps. She dives off the boat docks all the time. lol lol

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Red Chrome wrote:I'm so moving to Cali. lol Red loves dock diving and has done it at the local fair last year...she jumped 9'8" or close to it. That was her first official jumps. She dives off the boat docks all the time. lol lol

Yeah, I don't see anything coming up in Washington... Of course, you can always organize a Splash Dogs affiliate club, and set up your own events :))

bully_mommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby bully_mommy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:24 pm

I have looked at a couple of websites I have found here and I am going to attend a couple of events in Florida when they are here!!!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Red Chrome wrote:I'm so moving to Cali. lol Red loves dock diving and has done it at the local fair last year...she jumped 9'8" or close to it. That was her first official jumps. She dives off the boat docks all the time. lol lol

Yeah? well Shamoo can jump a whole 7 feet!! LOL Poor old broken lady, she loves it so much though. We're a crack up with her life vest and crazy antics and short jumps. I would love to be competitive with the next dog though!

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Siberian wrote:

Yeah, I don't see anything coming up in Washington... Of course, you can always organize a Splash Dogs affiliate club, and set up your own events :))

I would love to do something like that BUT with a new business, Schutzhund(I'm the secretary and organizer..lol), my own dog's training classes and stuff. There is no way I have time for it, maybe sometime in the future!!

Adrianne- Red loves to jump and to me it doesn't matter if it is 3 feet or 9 cause she enjoys it and it's one of the very last things she can do cause of her legs.

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:32 pm

There is a Dock Dogs event in Indianapolis tomorrow and Saturday. I've had it marked on my calendar forever! I'm beginning to chicken out! I joined the Dock Dogs forum in hopes of finding someone that was going to the event to maybe be my... mentor. I don't know. The forum isn't too active. It's not my dog that I'm worried about at all... it's me. I don't have the slightest clue what to do. Humm.... Should I go? Should I not go?

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Of course you should go! I don't know about Dock Dogs events, but at the Splash Dogs events you can buy a whole day of practice for $20, and try it out between the competition waves. Get there right when the pool opens up and stay all day, to take advantage of practice time. Last day of competition (typically Sunday) is usually finals, and you won't get much chance to practice, so choose weekday or Saturday. Also, there is nothing wrong with grabbing a rangler or some other event employee and asking them to explain you the basics.

But if this is your first event, you start with simply introducing your dog to water off the ramp. Once your dog is comfortable in the pool (swimming), you can try the dock.

But if you don't go, you will not get to try it :)

Return to “Dog Sports”