Dock Diving 101

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dock Diving 101

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 am

Boss*sMom wrote:What kind of set up will we need?

You might need shade. You ask ask on the Splash Dogs FB page or the message board. Most people have portable canopies (aka EZ ups). But if there's shade around you can just set-up there.

Yes, bring a crate! If he's really into it - he going to start barking and pulling. Not fun for you or him. With a crate, you can dry him off, give him some love and then be free to go to the bathroom or meet other people.

You'll see where other people are setting up. You'll want to find a place a little bit away from the dock and you can always ask when you arrive where they'd prefer folks to crate. Tell them it's your first time ad ask for some help.

Also bring: towels, dry bedding for the end of the day, your short leash, what you want to throw for him (we always have extras), chairs for you, water and bowl for him, extra set of clothes for you in the car (yes, I've fallen in), good non-slip shoes like sneakers, snacks and water for you.

I'm sure other folks will have their own packing list!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:04 pm

That about covers it for me. Plus extra money. Our first couple times we would go to jump twice but once the dogs got jumping we'd pay in and jump all day. Nat'ls was the first time we restrained ourselves and Backup jumped his PB and won his class so maybe the advice is don't buy in too many waves, lol, but hey, we had fun doing it!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Adrianne wrote:That about covers it for me. Plus extra money. Our first couple times we would go to jump twice but once the dogs got jumping we'd pay in and jump all day. Nat'ls was the first time we restrained ourselves and Backup jumped his PB and won his class so maybe the advice is don't buy in too many waves, lol, but hey, we had fun doing it!

That's a really good point though. A lot of folks get SUPER excited and jump their dog a whole bunch. Then they go into a wave or the finals and the dog's like "holy heck, I'm tired!" from all the stimulus and travel and jumping, and poops out.

I always try to remember to leave the dog wanting more. Levi jumps one or maybe 2 practice jumps first thing and then jumps in the waves. Sometimes we'll even sit him out one to get him some rest.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:46 pm

I just registered for the event. The trip in general is costing and I didnt know until a couple days ago it is 20$ per wave, so we signed up for 1 wave each day, which also lets us practice for free. That is 60$ so we should be good...

I am so excited! But is it normal for him to be off of his feed day after a hard workout. He is sleeping and bumming around today, not eating much. I'm going to take him to the lake to play but not do the park and walking we did yesterday. I don't want to over work him.

He went crazy his first time on the dock at the lake, he couldnt figure out how to get the toy, growling and barking at the water :wow I had never seen him like that! He was even wilder after he jumped and got the toy! I mean crazy! He was so excited.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm

i have taken a whole day off where i didn't take Peanut to the event even and he still does about the same. I think for Peanut he will do what he is going to do with or without a break. he doesn't seem to care. though i am still going to try going every other wave at our next event to try that again.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 pm

I was wondering about working him too much getting ready, conditioning. Is going to the lake every 3 days with 2 days off too much?

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 pm

that depends on your dog. some dogs can go more and others can go less. just watch your dog and take cues from him if he needs more or less rest.

also, you may want to do other things like running for conditioning too. another important thing to work on is dock obedience. in the off season i have been doing a lot of practice with this. it helps a lot.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 pm

You mean Shamoo is supposed to sit and wait?? LOL

Yes, dock obedience is important, unless you have an old naughty lady. :oops:

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Lol, He has a solid sit/stay when it is just us at home but I can't for anything get him to focus more than a few seconds when other dogs are around. We will work on it! He is such a good boy, i lurvs my boss man.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Something that was suggested to me long ago and that we now practice is to let the dog have some quiet time before a competition.

So if you are competing Saturday and Sunday - Thursday and Friday are fairly quiet. They don't get any running in, maybe even do a little extra crate time. Just build the wiggles a little. Saturday night, is rest time - not run around the hotel room time.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Something that was suggested to me long ago and that we now practice is to let the dog have some quiet time before a competition.

So if you are competing Saturday and Sunday - Thursday and Friday are fairly quiet. They don't get any running in, maybe even do a little extra crate time. Just build the wiggles a little. Saturday night, is rest time - not run around the hotel room time.

good suggestion. I usually start tuesday or wednesday (we always go out on fridays to start) so for Peanut i start with the forced (he will not relax on his own) relaxation early. gets him anxious (for lack of better wording) to get out there and go.

another thing is that i am working on is get him favoring a toy that i will use for him. its been hard to find a specific toy that works best for him. then don't let him have the toy until you are out at the dock. it has to be special that your dog REALLY REALLY wants. its a reward.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Boss has one orange bumper that he goes absolutely flipping nuts for. It floats but not that great, it is supposed to be used to hold scent and make trails for scent dogs says the guy at the outdoors store. I am going to get him a plastic bright orange bumper and see if he will take to that... he is mad right now because he hasnt had his food today. We have to give him a flea pill that has to be taken on a full stomach, he grazes so I need to get him hungry lol.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Splash Dogs just posted another event! This one in Biloxi, MS! I am very excited about that!! I will be able to drive to and from, maybe camp!

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:20 pm

oh it sounds like you are hooked :)

Our only vacations are planned around going to events :)

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Team Peanut wrote:oh it sounds like you are hooked :)

Our only vacations are planned around going to events :)

I am beyond excited... I mentioned to hubby the event this summer coming to the coast. I told him it wouldn't be too far to drive, he said "Well, maybe, but we will see if funds allow for a hotel room." LOL! He is hooked too I think!

I don't think I personally know anyone here, but DD and Boss being an active dog are really a blessing for me. I am obese and very out of shape. Since boss has matured he likes to be VERY active, and I love him so much... I do a lot more outside now, since I cant leave him alone. I have gotten very active, I can do more physically now and more every day than I could in a long time. I have put on about 100lbs since I graduated high school, and I was big then :(

This is good for me, I am being more active every day. And I hope soon to be able to walk to the lake instead of driving. It is 2 miles there but right now I give out at 2 miles, i would never make it back home lol.

Return to “Dog Sports”