Dock Diving 101

Discuss Agility, Disc Dog, Dock Diving, Fly Ball, Lure Coursing, Schutzhund, Tracking, Weight Pull, and other Dog Sports here!
Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dock Diving 101

Postby Zagari » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:34 pm

I just talked it over with my aunt. :) She agreed to go with me to the event.

Here's the link to the event. http://www.dockdogs.com/index.php?optio ... &extid=971

I read a pretty good informational site and I learned a lot from that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be asking a lot of questions when I get there. The practice starts at 5 pm but I've read all of the DD forum that you can only get one or two jumps in. There are only two heats tomorrow and the rest and finals are on Saturday. I get off work at 1 pm Sat so I thought I'd come back for the 3 pm heat. I'm still a little nervous and unsure of MYSELF. The dog will know what to do. She has experience jumping (at the park pool) and at home. We've got a huge pond but no dock.

Oh course I go to an event when my camera is in the shop.... :crybaby: I gave away my memory card for my old camera but I still have it.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Glad you are going! Leave your expectations at home ;) Jumping off the two feet dock into the clear pool is very different for dogs, even if they are used to jumping into the natural bodies of water and pools. I see so many people leaving disappointed and getting mad at dogs... But it just takes some coaxing and practice to get them in, and more practice to have them jump without hesitation or slowing down at the edge. So maybe practice time first, and if he goes in - enroll into the wave.

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:23 pm

That's what I'm planning. :) I think I'll just do the practice tomorrow. If she likes it, I might do the last wave on Saturday before finals. Not really a big deal. I know she'll hesitate at the edge, she does it going into the pond. I wish there was a dock around here we could use but there isn't. Oh well.... I just want both of us to have fun and I'm sure we will.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Awesome! Look forward to hearing about your experience and photos.

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Well I got there at about 5:25 pm. We kind of got lost... thanks to my good ol' GPS. I was scared that we were too late. The lady at the computer kind of pressured me to either come back tomorrow or enter the event. I was like... What the hell! 8) I'll enter her. We actually got in quite a few practice jumps. There was a guy there with his bulldog, Sportster, and he gave us a lot of advice. Sportster is a high flyin' dog! He was glad to see another bulldog breed. Everyone was great to talk to. There were only 14 dogs and I was shocked that almost all of them were first timers like myself.

Emily did better with every practice jump. When the actual competition came around, she hardly hesitated at the end of the dock. Her first jump was 8'4" and her second jump was 9'3". I was so proud of her! All I asked of her was to get better each time and she did! I think I'm hooked on this sport. I knew my dog would love it. People loved her drive. She cries and screams until she gets up to the water. She put on a good show for the audience. lol Staff members were great! They were very helpful and supportive.

Emily got a second place Novice ribbon. The lady said that as of right now, Em's in the finals. But there are like three more waves tomorrow so we don't know if she will still be in the finals after all those. I'm not sure if I'll be going back. Entering the Marion County Fairgrouds was quite expensive... We both had a lot of fun! I wish I had more pictures but my camera is in the shop. I had to use my ancient digital camera and most pics are blurry and far away.

Overall, it was a great time. Sometimes my dog got a little too excited and barked at and pulled toward other dogs. Especially if they had a toy. I was slightly embarressed. But, I did my best to keep her attention elsewhere. No one said anything about it. :) I see more obedience training in someone's future.

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:57 pm

The rest of the photos can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138500

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:26 am

Fauna just had her first jump at a Fun event on Saturday. Despite being surrounded by docks and water, they're mostly private, the public one are super high or over rougher water, so this was literally her first time going off a dock. Very proud of her!

She is 9 months old. Jumped 7.0, then 7.4. I know she jumped further in practice before the crazy hordes of people arrived, but I don't know how far

She really enjoyed it, she nearly killed me going up the stairs each time after her first practice, and we'll definitely be doing more of this when we can. :thumbsup:

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 am

Is it considered inappropriate to come to an event as a complete novice, without first having practiced with a club? They're having dock dogs at the Pet Expo later this month, and I'm toying with the idea of registering Bus and trying it with him, but don't want to be the clueless a-hole who makes it difficult for everyone else lol . It says on their website that they recommend getting there very early in the day if you need to practice/haven't done if before, I was hoping to do one of the later in the day waves because I'll be going with my aunt and cousin, who are always late! I'd like to practice a bit before, but don't really care how he actually does (he's like 9" tall at the shoulder, not much reach/extension there!), I just think he'd like it... he's dying to get in the 40 degree water when we go to the beach :) He's always going off the pier/bulkhead in the summer and is crazy toy driven, so I don't think he'll have much trouble getting in the water, though he could surprise me. I'm going to email the hosting group to see what they recommend, but was just looking to gather more thoughts/experiences....

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 am

I don't know about other places but here we welcome it, we have open dock events to try and get more people interested and plenty of people who aren't in any club but are still active come to jump.

I would highly recommend coming earlier and doing some practice, there's a huge difference between a normal dock and the competition one to the dogs. Dakota flied off docks, no hesitation even when trying him on several different ones. It took a few jumps before he was going off the competition dock confidently, and even more before he was going off at full speed.

Side note:
Norcal Boat, Sport and RV Show
Shasta District Fairgrounds
Anderson, CA
March 2-4, 2012
Norcal Boat, Sport and RV Show
Baymont Inn Anderson, CA
Mention Splash Dogs or Nor Cal Sports Show for Discount group rate

I know it's further up but thought I'd share, it'll be our first actual competition jump.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:48 pm

newcomers are very welcomed.

a lot of people are willing to help out even. feel free to ask someone (pretty much anyone) will help give pointers and advice if you ask. sometimes people will even help you out if they see you having trouble such as getting your dog to jump off the dock. just go early get your dog used to the exit ramp. use the "baby pool" first and when your dog is appearing to gain confidence in the smaller pool come up to the dock. never hesitate to ask someone if you have questions. i have found that people in this sport are very friendly and willing to help out anyway they can. that is one of my favorite things about this sport, the people are really nice.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 pm

gooeydog wrote:Is it considered inappropriate to come to an event as a complete novice, without first having practiced with a club? They're having dock dogs at the Pet Expo later this month, and I'm toying with the idea of registering Bus and trying it with him, but don't want to be the clueless a-hole who makes it difficult for everyone else lol . It says on their website that they recommend getting there very early in the day if you need to practice/haven't done if before, I was hoping to do one of the later in the day waves because I'll be going with my aunt and cousin, who are always late! I'd like to practice a bit before, but don't really care how he actually does (he's like 9" tall at the shoulder, not much reach/extension there!), I just think he'd like it... he's dying to get in the 40 degree water when we go to the beach :) He's always going off the pier/bulkhead in the summer and is crazy toy driven, so I don't think he'll have much trouble getting in the water, though he could surprise me. I'm going to email the hosting group to see what they recommend, but was just looking to gather more thoughts/experiences....

I don't think it's a big deal to not be a member of a club.

The biggest concern with showing up later in the day is that it does get busy and you only get 2 minutes (or even 2 jumps) so you won't have time to acclimate him to the dock. Could you drive separate from the rest of the family and meet up with them?

Many, many, many people come with dogs that jump off of docks into natural bodies of water. I think IME it's about 50% that will jump in competition into that clear pool with a bunch of other dogs standing around, most making noise of some sort.

Plus, as someone who does help out sometimes - I'm much more patient in the beginning of an event. ;)

Also read the rulebook. That can help you get a feel for the process and flow of an event!

Good luck little dude! My friend Andrew's doxie jumps about 3 feet but she's a food-type lady so is much less motivated to go off the dock.

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:19 pm

watch a bunch of videos on youtube that way you can see how things go and how others jump their dogs. that helped me get a feel for what to do the first time.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks, this is all helpful :) I'm going to see if we can get out there early enough to practice, then maybe do one of the first couple waves of the day- would like to see a few people go before us, but would rather go before things get too busy. Will email to to see what they recommend (they had recommended attending a practice session at their club first, which is what had sparked my concern- they're pretty far from us, so that's not very feasible right now) also.

I expect he may be a little distracted and maybe bewildered by all the commotion and the strange setting (he's pretty chill about going places, but that's a busy event), and definitely would like to take a little time to acclimate him to the different type of water/dock. He's adamant about getting into any decent sized body of water (this past summer we had an incident where he decided to charge down a sheer 20 ft cliff to get to a little speck of a beach at the bottom of it... thankfully he was on a long line and I managed to stop him about halfway down and reel him back up, or that might've been his new home lol ), but he's not had a whole lot of experience with pools, nor indoor water activities, aside from baths! Hopefully it works out that we're able to do it, we'll see :)

Team Peanut
Newborn Bully

Postby Team Peanut » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 pm

not sure about the club thing but the best time to try out an event is the weekday portion such as fridays (sometimes thursdays) far less people out there and you can get more practice jumps and the crowd is smaller. if you can get out to an event on a friday you will get more time on the dock.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 am

I am sure I will frequent this thread a lot in the next few weeks.

I have a couple of questions, we are going to a splash dogs event soon. What kind of set up will we need? Do we bring our crate the day of? How do we know where to set up? Mainly I need to know what to pack and bring?

I'm also worried that boss won't jump into the clear water of the pool, I am desperately searching for a swimming pool that we could use to practice in.

Return to “Dog Sports”