confused about rice and potatoes.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat May 04, 2013 2:04 pm

OK. Yes, there are other sources of Vit D3, but it is very difficult to consume the volumes of food necessary to move your blood concentrations to + 50 nmol/ml vs spending 20 minutes with the sun on your legs and arms. Watch the video, it explains a LOT of health issues related to Vit D3, where you live, your race, and how much sun time you get... While it is aimed at MDs, the science is well explained and presented in a humorous and easily digestible format.

LMW
User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby starrlamia » Sat May 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Okay I just wouldn't consider 20 minutes in the sun, tanning.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby starrlamia » Sat May 04, 2013 5:49 pm

starrlamia wrote:Okay I just wouldn't consider 20 minutes in the sun, tanning.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Recommendations, 10-15 minutes twice a week... Not worried about my vitamin D levels lol

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat May 04, 2013 7:27 pm

starrlamia wrote:
starrlamia wrote:Okay I just wouldn't consider 20 minutes in the sun, tanning.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Recommendations, 10-15 minutes twice a week... Not worried about my vitamin D levels lol

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2



But...and this is the key...where do you live? If it is North of San Diego, you need to get your bloodwork 2x a year. Context matters in biology and "sunlight" comes in many forms...
User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby starrlamia » Sun May 05, 2013 1:46 am

According to my provincial government what I stated is correct. Studies don't seems to be conclusive anyhow

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 7391
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun May 05, 2013 11:16 am

starrlamia wrote:Studies don't seems to be conclusive anyhow


Yes, didn't I say that..

El_EmDubya wrote:But then again, we get back to the issue that science is a trailing industry. Clinicians see events/phenomenon and researchers hear about it, leading to eventual research.


Besides, no pharmaceutical company is going to make money off sunshine, so how are researchers going to get their studies paid for???

LMW
User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: confused about rice and potatoes.

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:24 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:
El_EmDubya wrote:But then again, we get back to the issue that science is a trailing industry. Clinicians see events/phenomenon and researchers hear about it, leading to eventual research.


Besides, no pharmaceutical company is going to make money off sunshine, so how are researchers going to get their studies paid for???

LMW


And with that scary melanoma stuff, we want everyone inside, all day, every day and avoiding vitamin D at all costs... I wonder if Vitamin D will go up in price 800% soon so they can make as much as possible as quickly as possible...
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10513
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Previous

Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest