Blue Buffalo food and 9 week old puppy, possible UTI?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Blue Buffalo food and 9 week old puppy, possible UTI?

Postby medic16 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Okay so my girl Lucy is about 9 weeks old. She has been feed milk replacement and properly transferred over to solid food now, we choose blue buffalo because of good reviews, reputation, etc. I also switched my 3 year old pit, Roxy, to blue buffalo adult so once lucy was older they would be eating the same food. Roxy never liked her old food anyway (Nutro MAX). Roxy has had diarrhea for about a week now, about a month after starting blue buffalo diet, as well as nasty nasty gas. She obviously needs to switch and I wanted to take a survey of what everyone here recommends. I need good food, but it also has to be as affordable as good food can be. I don't make the kind of money to be spending $70 a bag.

On another note...my 9 week old has had a sudden onset of excessive urination and what appears to be blood tinged urine. This started in the middle of the day today, literally out of nowhere. She now goes pee 6-8 times rapid fire. Just walks all over my apartment and squats, but the output is minimal, maybe a drop or 2. She seems very uncomfortable. I did get her to drink some cranberry juice (diet, so not as much sugar).

I read the post on here about the consumer reports of blue buffalo food, and a number of them mention bloody urine caused by bladder stones (due to blue buffalo). Has anyone ever experienced blood tinged urine from their pup? What was the cause? Any recommendations?

I will take her to the vet, but can not make it there until Wednesday. Everyone here has helped me in the past with problems that have come up, so I hope you can again. Thanks.
medic16
Newborn Bully

Re: Blue Buffalo food and 9 week old puppy, possible UTI?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Urinary tract infection is very common in girl puppies - that sounds like what she has but it is best confirmed by a vet visit.

Blue Buffalo is a fine food - I have also seen reports of bladder stones from wellness and solid gold - nothing consistent to blame on a single food.

If your puppies parents were over 50 pounds, I would recommend feeding the large breed puppy formula.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues