Vaccination protocol

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Vaccination protocol

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 am

Do counties write laws? I thought it was just city and state.

I would send your vet a letter with the law enclosed, and voice your disappointment. It's entirely possible that he heard something incorrect from another vet. There is a persistent rumor here that you have to give a 1 yr vaccine if you are late for your booster, everyone believes it's true because everyone does it- there is no such law in my state...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby gooeydog » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 pm

The place I work at still does yearly DHPP, and 1 or 3 year rabies at the owner's discretion. We require those and bordetella for dogs being "entered in" for surgery, boarding, grooming, etc, but they are not required for an office visit, only recommended. If a dog being entered has medical issues (extreme age, health, etc) a doctor will often waive the vaccs, or in a younger/healthy dog, the owner can do titers for distemper and parvo if they ask about it before (have to be sent out). Bordetella is yearly, as are lepto, influenza, and lyme if the dog is at risk (we see >10 cases a year of suspected lepto, and some nearby areas have bad rat issues).

I talked to my manager and some co-workers last year and we ordered a tray of 3 year DHPP for us to split for our dogs, so I did Bus (who was 7) and my grandmom's dog (who was 6). Will probably do both again in a couple years, then no more after that. Annie last had a DHPP vacc when she was 8, her chronic snot issues started that same year I think, so I've only done rabies since then- not that I think the vacc caused it, but her immune system is already freaking out without adding more foreign material lol. Sometimes I think that I should booster her since it's been 8 (!) years since she had it, but I suspect she gets some natural exposure from going to work with me and me tracking germs home on my feet.

We do the 3 year rabies vacc, and it's set a good way apart from the DHPP. Due to the laws in my area, I would be reluctant to not get it at all, as if your dog gets into a tussle with a critter of unknown rabies status without a current vacc, that may mean a long quarantine period. We have a lot of feral cats in my neighborhood, so I keep it up to date.

We see vaccinated dogs get KC still (sometimes, I think it's because the owners don't do it until they have too, so not enough time for adequate immune response, but others have history of regular vaccination for it- it doesn't cover every strain), and in most cases, KC is pretty self limiting, so I don't bother with it. I also don't do lepto, lyme, or flu, either because I feel my dogs aren't at high risk, have concerns about vacc reaction (lepto), and/or have concerns about duration/narrow range of efficacy of the vacc.
gooeydog
Regulator

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am

Erin, that's insane. And really disappointing. Regardless of whether they heard differently from another vet, they should be keeping up to date with current research and recommendations. I'd be leaving too, but not before making sure they understand why.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Sydnops » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm

I know on the rabies vaccine, it says 3 years on the label. I think that it could stay in their system depending on what type of dog, how big of a dog, how healthy, yadda yadda. Let's just say you have a great dane and you're giving about 1 ml or so (which it's the same amount for every dog no matter how big or small) then I would assume it wouldn't stay in their system as long as it would a chihuahua so the vet is probably trying to avoid the possibility that it would pass through after the year has passed and your baby gets attacked by a rabid raccoon. Then your dogs gets rabies and you try to sue the vet you're going to because you think that the vaccine didn't work when really, the vaccine passed through their system. I'm not saying you're that type of person at all I'm just saying if someone happened to be that way, the vet could get in trouble. Plus they want to make sure that your baby is good and healthy and if you have any concerns about her, it's the perfect time to bring it up. It's a possibility.
Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Sydnops wrote:I know on the rabies vaccine, it says 3 years on the label. I think that it could stay in their system depending on what type of dog, how big of a dog, how healthy, yadda yadda. Let's just say you have a great dane and you're giving about 1 ml or so (which it's the same amount for every dog no matter how big or small) then I would assume it wouldn't stay in their system as long as it would a chihuahua so the vet is probably trying to avoid the possibility that it would pass through after the year has passed and your baby gets attacked by a rabid raccoon. Then your dogs gets rabies and you try to sue the vet you're going to because you think that the vaccine didn't work when really, the vaccine passed through their system. I'm not saying you're that type of person at all I'm just saying if someone happened to be that way, the vet could get in trouble. Plus they want to make sure that your baby is good and healthy and if you have any concerns about her, it's the perfect time to bring it up. It's a possibility.

Size doesn't matter with vaccines. The immune system is designed to pick up small numbers of infectious agents, it works on a "per body" standard, not per pound. Horses get a 2ml rabies dose, but they are hundreds of times larger.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sydnops » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Oh I didn't know. Haha I was just saying what I thought. It sounds reasonable doesn't it? I wasn't trying to sound rude either...When I reread what I typed it sounded a little snotty!
Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues