Pittie tail - possible dock? :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pittie tail - possible dock? :(

Postby Maverick » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:08 am

I don't want to, but it's been 3 years of on and off pittie tail. The doc last month said that if it's causing pain then it would possibly warrant docking.
He's now 8 years old, from what the doc told me, it's not an easy surgery as an adult dog.
The tip pops open and bleeds everywhere. It could be fine for a week, then sitting on gravel and wagging will open it up, or a quick pop of the tail into a table leg. Bandages only work when he's monitored actively. When he's in his kennel he will pull it straight off within an hour, and it's taped up real nice with padding vetwrap, etc.
Aside from the bleeding, the last, more than, half of his tail is like a rats tail. Losing hair, pink skin, and I had to remove bandage tape (gently and with the grain) tonight, and his hair peeled off like nothing.
Overall, the doc says that 'if he's in pain' - well he's a pit bull. But when I need to clean it or wrap it, he definitely fidgets, and is a good boy and holds still, but he does kick back to gnaw or lick if I'm there too long. To me it does seem that he hurts from it.

Here are pics of both sides of his tail on my onedrive...
http://1drv.ms/1kA30OS

Doctor has seen it, I feel like I have a decision to make. It will hurt me to take a part of him, an important part, but I want him to not be in pain.
Thanks in advance
Nick
Maverick
Matured Bully

Re: Pittie tail - possible dock? :(

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:15 am

Ugh happy tail sucks. Amputation is never something that should be taken lightly but it sounds like you're weighing the pros and cons.

I guess my only thought would be that better to do it at 8 years than to wish you had at 10 or 12 years?

Your vet should make sure he's on proper pain protocol post-op.

Good luck to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Return to Health Issues