Neuter queston

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
The Dukes dad
Newborn Bully

Neuter queston

Postby The Dukes dad » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:18 pm

What is a good age to have my male pit neutered? Duke is currently 7 months old. The vet suggested waiting until a year old so that he would fully develop Duke isnt very aggressive or humping alot so I may wait.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:31 pm

I got my male Duke neutered at 1 year. I think it's better to fix males before they start having issues like marking, humping, etc. because they will be less likely to start those behaviors if they are already neutered.

True_Pits
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby True_Pits » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:03 pm

I would wait until 1yr minimum. Preferably 2yrs. I rarely neuter males anyway. Mine don't generally mark at all, especially not in the home and outside maybe here or there. Usually they just go out and potty, half the time they squat and other times they lift their leg, do a big puddle then come back inside. I've a male that is 6 and a half yrs old and never mounted my females. Not all males are sex driven fools.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:14 pm

I actually had this discussion with a vet friend of mine. And she said that her prefence is 18 to 24 months. Unless, there is a arise of issues, that warrant it sooner. Do you have plans for him, like as in a working aspect?

By the way Bluemountainbullies, I like that last line.. roflmao

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 am

A year would be fine....I neutered my ole Man Jake at 2 years though...that was a looong time ago, lol. He lived 17 long, healthy, and sports injury free years!

As for marking, territorial stuff....that is more a personality issue, and best dealt with through training.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:38 pm

L Boogie wrote:I got my male Duke neutered at 1 year. I think it's better to fix males before they start having issues like marking, humping, etc. because they will be less likely to start those behaviors if they are already neutered.

x2
A year would be fine but I'm on the "fix problems by preventing them before the occur" bandwagon I guess ;)
Once he starts peeing all over the house it might be more difficult to get him to quit.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:35 pm

I have a male that's been neutered since the age of 6 months - he started lifting his leg about a year ago(he's 3 years old) and he doesn't do it to mark, he will stand there and empty his bladder on whatever he's targeted, with his leg hiked in the air. lol

True_Pits
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby True_Pits » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 am

msvette2u wrote:x2
A year would be fine but I'm on the "fix problems by preventing them before the occur" bandwagon I guess ;)
Once he starts peeing all over the house it might be more difficult to get him to quit.

I'd imagine a 7 month old should be house trained by now? He should have stopped peeing in the house not started.

The Dukes dad
Newborn Bully

Postby The Dukes dad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:42 am

He has never really pissed in the house. We do still crate him at night and when we're not home. I really want to get away from that though, but he still likes to get ahold of things he shouldn't. As a matter of fact he got out of his crate while I was at work and destroyed my $500 motorcycle helmet yesterday. It was in a protective bag so he probably thought it was a ball.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:10 am

At some point just about all boys begin lifting their legs in the house.
Neutered or not, oftentimes.
It seems however that neutering does play a role in the ease of training later on, if they begin to do it after neuter, or sometimes neuter eliminates the start of leg-lifting completely.

I don't see lifting the leg to pee in the house as a "housebreaking" incident entirely, it's more of a behavior thing and completely natural to males of most species, it's more of a marking their territory thing.

At any rate, intact males who come here almost ALL do it, some never do, but I'd say a good 95% of intact males have peed somewhere in our house upon entry into the house - we then of course address that, but once neutered, the rate of them doing it declines. It is easier to stop them once they are altered, that is.

We, at one point, took care of an intact male Keeshond, who was incapable of being a house dog, because he was a show dog and thus intact. Awesome dog - but he peed everywhere in the house.

Now, remember, I consider peeing to go potty, and leg-lifting to mark territory two distinctly separate things.

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 am

msvette2u wrote:At some point just about all boys begin lifting their legs in the house.
Neutered or not, oftentimes.
It seems however that neutering does play a role in the ease of training later on, if they begin to do it after neuter, or sometimes neuter eliminates the start of leg-lifting completely.

I don't see lifting the leg to pee in the house as a "housebreaking" incident entirely, it's more of a behavior thing and completely natural to males of most species, it's more of a marking their territory thing.

At any rate, intact males who come here almost ALL do it, some never do, but I'd say a good 95% of intact males have peed somewhere in our house upon entry into the house - we then of course address that, but once neutered, the rate of them doing it declines. It is easier to stop them once they are altered, that is.

We, at one point, took care of an intact male Keeshond, who was incapable of being a house dog, because he was a show dog and thus intact. Awesome dog - but he peed everywhere in the house.

Now, remember, I consider peeing to go potty, and leg-lifting to mark territory two distinctly separate things.

I think it's more like when they go to a "different" house/place. Inuyasha marks OUTSIDE a lot. He pees in every tree If I let him. Inside our house though, he has never peed, and he never tries to. He is housetrained, so he knows the house is not to be used as a potty or a marking territory spot, eitherway.

Brenda

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 am

msvette2u wrote:

And this how so? I don't think my dog is a freak of nature, but Inuyasha ALWAYS lifts his leg to pee. I mean EVERY single time. I know he is emptying his bladder first thing in the morning, for he pees for a long time, and this is with his leg UP in the air, he almost falls sometime, trying to keep balance for so long lol . I don't consider peeing and leg lifting two different things being that my dog pees this way ONLY.

Brenda

Razors_Diesel
Matured Bully

Postby Razors_Diesel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:33 pm

True_Pits wrote: Not all males are sex driven fools.

i think you'll have to come over and convince my pup diffrent.
my vet said wait till 8-12 months.. diesel is 7 months and id like to wait till 12 months but hes already started to rub on peoples legs ( hasnt figured out the humping part) espescially if your legs are crossed over the other.

**sighs* what can you do lol

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 pm

I said "leg lifting to mark terroritory"...meaning he's not taking a leak, he's already done that.
Then he moves on and marks, squirting just a bit of urine, here and there on a vertical surface. Or another dog's pee/poo (my boys sometimes do that).
http://www.dogchatforum.com/dog-marking-inside.htm
(snip)
Dog urine marking is not a toilet training issue but rather an issue concerning a whole range of instinctive behaviors. Your dog may be fully housetrained and would not dream of peeing in the house but to a dog lifting his leg to scent mark is not the same as wanting to have a pee.

RD - it's like a kid with a new car. He's going to drive it A LOT, right? lol
Unfortunately when those male hormones start hitting, they don't let up for a while...that's why, in my home, my boys will always be neutered BEFORE puberty lol

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Razors_Diesel wrote:
True_Pits wrote: Not all males are sex driven fools.

i think you'll have to come over and convince my pup diffrent.
my vet said wait till 8-12 months.. diesel is 7 months and id like to wait till 12 months but hes already started to rub on peoples legs ( hasnt figured out the humping part) espescially if your legs are crossed over the other.

**sighs* what can you do lol

Inuyasha has never humped a human, Some dogs just don't independently if they are fix or not. He humped my female spayed Golden, he was obsessed. However, he never tried to hump objects or us or anybody else in the house. I think humping to humans it's more dominance than anything else, so it should absolutely not be allowed.

Brenda

Return to “Health Issues”