Off to the vet in a bit

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Off to the vet in a bit

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Well like a big dummy Khan's mommy thought it would be a good idea to play fetch out in the snow today.

So we played for a while out in the snow. I always say "OK, just a few more" then before the last throw I say "OK, last one". Well he missed the last one so I threw one more. Apparently I should have stopped when I said last one. He came back to me on 3 legs :frown: Of course I thought now his good knee was luxating or ACL. Cause of course you have think worst case scenario first.

We get inside and I start looking him over. One of his nails was all bloody, but not like dripping blood. The nail is not cracked, but it looks like the "meaty" quick part is injured or something :dunno:

I tried to put neosporin on in and wrap it. He was not having me wrap it. He was running on 3 legs from me.

I'm not sure exactly what he did or what the vet can do, but we have an appointment at 4:40. I was going to take him in next month for his heartworm and yearly check up so I will just get that all taken care of today.

He was supposed to go to the groomer tomorrow morning for his nails. Not sure if that is going to happen now.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Sending good thoughts to Khan it's nothing serious. His poor nails :frown:

spammie

Postby spammie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:17 pm

Healing hugs from Missouri :hug:

titan
Newborn Bully

Postby titan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:45 pm

How is khan??

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:32 pm

Ouch! Hope the vet trip goes well.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Well his nail was cracked along the side.

WTF is it with this dog and cracked nails :dunno: I could maybe understand when they were long, but since finding the groomer he has been getting them trimmed every 3 weeks.

The vet said normally what they would do is just clip it back to wear the crack ends. Khan being a "special" case she didn't know if that would work. Both the vet and the tech commented on how good he was being about having his paws handled and nails looked at. The vet said it is obvious how much progress he has made. She didn't want to set that back by putting him in pain (even if it was just a few seconds) and then setting back all the work we have done.

So they used an anesthesia shot which puts them out for a few minutes. Which was enough time to clip that nail back and they did the other ones also (since he was supposed to go to the groomer tomorrow) I also had his heartworm check and got his heartworm meds. I also finally remembered to get him microchiped :yipee:

He was way more awake than the times they used ace and put him under. Plus it was cheaper. I never heard of an anesthesia injection before. He was not groggy at all and they said he could eat tonight too.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:01 pm

wow! that as an expensive play date! :))

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Pitbull-Lady wrote:wow! that as an expensive play date! :))

I know, right!!

I have an appointment for my senior kitty to go in on Thursday for a check up and blood draw, etc. Expensive vet week for this household.......NOBODY else better get sick or injured before then or mommy is not going to be happy!

My mom said.....well you are saving $5 for the groomer tomorrow lol

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:25 pm

good to hear things were all right!

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:33 am

Glad he is alright!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 pm