Lepto vaccine

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Lepto vaccine

Postby FBODGRL » Sun May 10, 2009 10:46 am

I don't know too much about the Lepto vaccine. My vet doesn't give it unless you specifically ask for it. I have opted to not get it for Khan up until now, because I don't want to over vaccinate.

I beleive rats carry this and now I am concerned.

How is it transmitted? Do they have to bite or get bitten by the rat?

I'm trying to decide if I should vaccinate against it. Any help would be appreciated.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:53 am

Its transmitted through urine. It will be found anywhere there is standing water. Your dog gets it by drinking out of puddles or licking their feet after walking through contaminated water.

The disease is most prevalent in the midwest and the northwest. If you do not live in one of those areas, its probably not necessary. The vaccine protects against the most common 4 of 30+ strains, so it doesn't give full protection anyway.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun May 10, 2009 11:02 am

What about licking feet after walking through grass where there may be urine?

BTW is it fatal or something that is easily treated if they catch it. I may very well be being paranoid, but I know I have rats running through my yard so I want to be caustious too.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:35 am

Lepto causes liver and kidney failure (from bacterial infection) at the same time. They can be hospitalized for 3-10 days, and require up to 3 months of post-illness antibiotics to get rid of any bacteria hanging out in the kidneys (to keep YOU from getting it from your dog).

Its a nasty nasty disease, and kills probably 20% of affected animals even with aggressive treatment. Luckily its not very common.

Ask your vet if he's seen a case recently. If he's had a case within the last 3 years, I would vaccinate. If he hasn't, then don't bother. You can also call your local referral hospital and ask them if they see cases. They are likely to be sent most cases due to the severity of disease and risk to people, so if there are cases in your area, they're more likely to know about it.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun May 10, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks. I'll make some calls tomorrow.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun May 10, 2009 12:47 pm

I get the lepto (and giardia) vaccs for Molly because she likes to drink standing water out of random puddles... The vet I take Molly to gives it as part of their regular vacc protocol but that may also have to do with the fact we live in a big city.

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Mon May 11, 2009 1:03 am

If your pup has allergies they may want to do a test. My parents Bernese Mountain Dog is allergic and the raction can be very violent. But if you pup doesn't have a problem it's really worth it.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon May 11, 2009 6:24 am

I get mine Lepto yearly since it is pretty common here. The sad thing is that even with the vaccine there is a small chance they can still get it. I've seen dogs get Lepto even when they were vaccinated for it. Such a nasty thing!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon May 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Lepto is making a comeback in Michigan, and is in most common Dhllp vaccines. Unless the dog is reactive to it, I would suggest vaccinating against it at this time.
Puppies under 6 months I think is the age, can not have the vaccine .
A vet can better tell you,
Why does the vet not vaccinate agaisnt it?

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon May 11, 2009 1:28 pm

From working at a vet in the OP's area we have seen 2 cases of Lepto from Eastpointe in the past year. It's transmitted through urine and it is possible for humans to contract this disease also. While the vaccine may not be 100% effective the most common strains of it are covered under the vax.

We start the Lepto vax as part of the last 2 of a puppies shot series here(usually at about 12wks). If your dog has never had it before our place does a series of 2.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:33 pm

If you do decide to get your pup vaccinated, make sure your vet uses the vaccine with FOUR types of lepto in it. Most vaccines only have two.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon May 11, 2009 11:53 pm

luvnstuff wrote:Lepto is making a comeback in Michigan, and is in most common Dhllp vaccines. Unless the dog is reactive to it, I would suggest vaccinating against it at this time.

It is not that they don't they do DHPP. If you want the lepto vaccine they will do it.

They are on a 3 yr protocol. When I got Khan(and took him for vaccines) I didn't know about Lepto and at that time the rat issue wasn't known to me.

Reading what Mooresmajestic posted and being not only from Michigan, but knowing there were cases in my city......I'll be calling the vet tomorrow.

I feel like an idiot because I didn't know about it or look into it :frown:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue May 12, 2009 7:00 am

FBODGRL wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:Lepto is making a comeback in Michigan, and is in most common Dhllp vaccines. Unless the dog is reactive to it, I would suggest vaccinating against it at this time.

It is not that they don't they do DHPP. If you want the lepto vaccine they will do it.

They are on a 3 yr protocol. When I got Khan(and took him for vaccines) I didn't know about Lepto and at that time the rat issue wasn't known to me.

Reading what Mooresmajestic posted and being not only from Michigan, but knowing there were cases in my city......I'll be calling the vet tomorrow.

I feel like an idiot because I didn't know about it or look into it :frown:

what you feel like an idiot? :bully: well if you were here before me I would slap you up.
Never feel like an idiot for asking !
Life is confusing enough. I do belive the lepto was all but erridaticted (i know I spelled that wrong) but just like many other evils, it crept back in.
I know at the pound we stopped for awhile buying the vaccine with it, due to the puppy factor (which I am still unclear on) , but now we have both again.
Vaccines are confusing enough in my opinon, and one will say NO you dont need, another says YES YES you do need. And most of us in the middle just say "huh?"

:0 )

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:17 am

Vaccines are confusing enough in my opinon, and one will say NO you dont need, another says YES YES you do need. And most of us in the middle just say "huh?"

No kidding! This seems to be one of the controversial vacs out there. Some info I read said the vac doesn't last a year. I checked, my dogs had the the 2way included in their Dhllp vaccines last ocotber.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 12, 2009 11:45 am

FBODGRL wrote:I feel like an idiot because I didn't know about it or look into it :frown:

You're not an idiot, this stuff is hard to keep up on.

Lepto used to be one of the common components in the distemper combo, it was DHLPP. Then, because leptospirosis was relatively uncommon, and that vaccine caused a fair number of reactions (not that many dogs react to it, or any vaccine), it became much less common to use it. Also, the vaccine was only good against a couple of strains of lepto, so wasn't always that useful.

More recently, a newer vaccine was introduced which was proof against a couple extra lepto strains, including the one most commonly encountered. So, it started making more sense to include it in a vaccine protocol, but only in areas where the dog is likely to encounter lepto, since there's no point in vaccinating for something a dog will never encounter.

Return to “Health Issues”