False pregnancy...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

False pregnancy...

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon May 11, 2009 9:43 am

I was wondering if any can give me any suggestions to help with my girls false pregnancy. She just started carring her "babies" around the house and is starting to get full milk. I am open to just about anything, I really don't want to milk my dog again!!! This is the 3rd time she's gone through it and I have run out of ideas. She always ends up with full milk and then ends up on antibotics for a couple of weeks while I milk the nasty gunk from her. The vet I work for has run out of ideas also. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. What I have done in the past does works, but it's gross!!!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 am

I have no clue how to deal with false pregnancies, so I can't help you there, sorry!

I assume the dog isn't spayed? Can I ask why you have chosen not to spay? I would think that would help/solve the problem from reccuring (but again, I'm not sure, I haven't dealt with this issue).

Hopefully someone will chime in soon with more experience ;)

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon May 11, 2009 11:40 am

Not much you can do... spaying of course takes care of it, but I know you have plans to breed. Breeding also can help with the hormonal imbalance. I've heard quite a few breeders say that false pregnancies in a bitch are not good and they often have a hard time getting those bitches bred.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:46 am

Tincture of time...

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon May 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Yeah, I heard from her breeder that her mom was the same way untill she had her first litter, but she never had a hard time getting her bred. I was just hoping that there were some remidies for the milk production short of giving her a litter. The first time that she did it I figured it was because I had a litter of bottle fed kittens that she decided to make her babies. But the second time she did it I didn't have any. I guess that I'll be milking my dog again!!!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Can I ask why you plan to breed? Do you show? Weight pull?

Just curious.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon May 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Why are you milking her? She'll produce more milk if you express it. Ignore it, and it goes away.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:31 pm

See if the shelter has any orphan puppies/kittens for your girl to "adopt" again.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Mon May 11, 2009 6:46 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:See if the shelter has any orphan puppies/kittens for your girl to "adopt" again.
That will make it much worse. False pregnancy is actually very bad for the female.

My dog went through a very bad case of false pregnancy once before we could spay her. You can do a lot actually. Cut down on her meals, less carbs, more protein diet, exercise her more, keep her busy to keep her mind off of it, take away ALL her "babys" and don't let her to "adopt" anything else, leave her tits completely alone (no touching and absolutely NO milking), don't baby her, if she will make herself a nest, destroy it, etc. This will help A LOT, trust me.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon May 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Enigma wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:See if the shelter has any orphan puppies/kittens for your girl to "adopt" again.
That will make it much worse. False pregnancy is actually very bad for the female.

What makes you say that?

All bitches go through the hormonal changes of pregnancy after being in season. How they react to it vary. Most go through some level of false pregnancy, in some cases pretty subtle. This time is a high risk for pyometra, but whether the bitch is showing obvious signs of false pregnancy or not has nothing to do with her risk for pyometra. The risk is due to the hormonal changes, and nothing you do is going to really influence those.

My bitch, Tess, is 3 years old, and has had about 6 seasons, every one of which has been followed by a pretty full blown false pregnancy, up to and including the adoption of "babies" when there is something appropriate around to take that place.

I mostly ignore it, usually toss her favorite "baby" into her run with her when I go to work, and she gets over it in a few days. She is completely healthy.

Eclipse
Matured Bully

Postby Eclipse » Mon May 11, 2009 8:03 pm

I have also heard all bitches go through a false pregnancy to some degree after being in season.

My girl Emmie used to everytime she went into season. I always just let her alone and she came out of it all on her own. I also would not recommend milking your dog....that does stimulate them to produce more. One time I found her false pregnancy a little excessive....she produced milk for quite a while and was licking her back nipples and making it worse, I was concerned she may develop mastitis. So, I took her to the vet and he prescribed her progesterone??? I think and it stopped her milk production.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Mon May 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Sarah wrote:What makes you say that?
Because false pregnancy hit my dog REALLY HARD i did my research. When it comes to the point the OP is describing - when a bitch starts producing a lot of milk, that is a bad case of false pregnancy and the owner should do something about it. It can cause mastitis, which left untreated can cause a severe infection and death. Plus phantom pregnancy is very stressful for the female, she's looking for pups that aren't there, most females go through without any bigger problems (like your Tess), but some don't. It's not so common, but a very severe case of false pregnancy can actually cause a false labor. Bad cases of false pregnancy are not something you should just ignore if you ask me.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 11, 2009 8:39 pm

The OP still hasn't answered the question:

Do you plan on breeding your dog? If so, why?

And if not, why not get her spayed asap?

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Enigma wrote:WackyJacki read this thread: http://pbf2.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=119706

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up! :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”