Need help with 3/4 week old kitten.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ams036
Adolescent Bully

Need help with 3/4 week old kitten.

Postby ams036 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:28 am

I know this is a dog forum but I also know that many of you have quite a bit of knowledge about cats/kittens as well. Late this afternoon my friend found a kitten that appears to be between 3-4 weeks old on her doorstep. We estimated her age based on her size and clumsiness and reading everything we possibly could in cat books, so it is just a guess. She found it odd because he was screaming trying to get inside and she lives on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex, so it is obvious that she did not climb the stairs herself, given how small she is and her age. She asked around and it really appears this kitten has been dumped. She had a really scraggly pink bandanna tied around her neck and was as filthy as she was.

My questions are what do we do/feed a kitten this age. We got some wellness core wet food and some kitten formula and mixed the two and fed her until she was full. She definitely has a wormy stomach but I was not sure if a de-wormer at this age was safe so we did not purchase that. She seemed in good spirits after eating and drinking and we even coaxed her to using the litter box without much effort at all. The vets offices were closed so we have not taken her there and did not want to pay the outrageous Emergency Vet prices. Her eyes are a little goopy, her stomach is quite round but other than that she really seems overall pretty healthy. Any advice/recommendations is appreciated, thank you!

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Thu May 14, 2009 4:21 am

Keep feeding what you're feeding (except make sure it's all for cats). It is perfectly safe to worm her at this age. I would only reccomend that you do take her into a vet and get her de wormed, get her shots and have her tested for feline AIDS/ luekemia.

And go from there.

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:58 am

Gatorpit wrote:Keep feeding what you're feeding (except make sure it's all for cats). It is perfectly safe to worm her at this age. I would only reccomend that you do take her into a vet and get her de wormed, get her shots and have her tested for feline AIDS/ luekemia.

And go from there.

Thank you. I was under the impression you would not start shots until she was 6 weeks old and the same with de-wormer, but I will most definitely be calling my vet in the morning to get her in to be checked out. She is probably a little underweight, her pelvic bones are easily felt and if it was not for her longer hair would be visibly protruding, but it does not look like anything that can not be fixed quickly with proper nutrition and just plain food. Both the wet food and kitten formula (KMV) are all for cats, we almost accidentally bought puppy formula but quickly changed that.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 14, 2009 6:35 am

She looks much older than three weeks to me - I'd have guessed six or seven, honestly.

Here's a picture of Fiona at four weeks:

at five weeks:

Six weeks:

Seven weeks:

They really just like lint until about 6 weeks, and then they start developing features. Cats don't get graceful... well, ever, really. She'll be a clumsy kitten for months to come!

And yes, your little one definitely looks wormy to me, so I'm sure the vet will be able to help!

Keep us updated and thanks for helping her out!

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu May 14, 2009 6:49 am

Yup that kitten is at least 6 weeks old. You don't need to do the kitten formula, she can eat kitten food either dry or wet at this point.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu May 14, 2009 10:02 am

Definatly get her to a vet, goopy eyes could be URI.

If you already have formula, mix it with kitten food- it will give her extra nutrients that she prob needs. And it will help the kitten eat the food if it is moistened a bit.

General rule for age in kittens is 1lb a mth.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:34 am

Don't vaccinate until 6-8 weeks (6 weeks for non-vaccinated moms, 8 weeks for vaccinated moms)

Kittens and puppies should be dewormed every 2 weeks starting at 2 weeks of age until 14-16 weeks of age.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu May 14, 2009 12:00 pm

How much does that kitten weigh, in ounces?

It looks like it's pretty solid, obviously still fragile, but not as touch-and-go as the unweaned and tiny TKs. Ten ounces or less are really fragile in my book, some of them are much sturdier between 10oz and a pound while others are sickly or just not thriving.

I usually mix KMR with a pate-style wet kitten food, or just add some warm water to the pate-style wet food and mix it up to make a gruel, for transitional kittens. That kitten looks like it's past the point of needing bottle-feeding every couple of hours and hands-on assistance with defecating. lol So I'd just keep up with the food that she/he is willing to eat, maybe start leaving out a small amount of kibble (there's a TINY kibble, called Royal Canin BabyCat, that we use because the pieces are very VERY tiny for tiny kittens' mouths), bring it to the vet to get those eyes checked and get it de-wormed. If it's old enough to get a first set of shots you can do that then, too.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat May 16, 2009 5:54 am

How's she doing?

Return to “Health Issues”