Dozer's Hives (@ the Dr now)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dozer's Hives (@ the Dr now)

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 am

tia_leigha wrote:What homeopathic allergy remedy did you try? How does it work if you dont mind me asking? And how much did it cost?

I used Eyebright Nettle by HerbPharm http://www.morningstarhealth.com/909173.html

I got it at a local health store, but you can get it online. I believe they also sell a children's formula with no alcohol. I talked with my vet about using a wider-range "allergy" homeopathic tincture, but he said that is a "shotgun" approach. So since I was pretty sure it was grass/weed allergy I used a grass/weed allergy tincture. It's what a person with hayfever would use.

I just put it on his food and the second spring I started before the grass/weeds sprouted and he didn't have any hives/bumps. He occassionally will get teary eyes during full-blown allergy season, but he never got bumps after the 1st year and after the 2nd year I didn't give it to him anymore.

I'm not sure if it will work since we don't know what Dozer is having an allergic reaction to. He's pretty light-skinned are you sure he didn't get a sunburn? I ask because you said it's just on his back. I'm thinking an allergic reaction to grass/weeds would more likely also be on his tummy...but an allergic reaction can be systemic even if it's just to grass.

Also did you use any topical stuff like Frontline? Maybe he had a reaction to that?

Keep in mind I'm not any sort of authority on any of this!!

Here's the website for the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Society: http://www.ahvma.org/

dickybird
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dickybird » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:32 pm

I would defiantely try to determine what he is allergic to and try to control it either holistically or with allergy pills. We adopted Muay 4 years ago and she's always had allergies to many foods, but also has environmental allergies. We used to keep them under control by using prednisone until this past December. She got very sick, which the vet believes was pancreatitis, but it could have started in her liver from the pred. She has had a pred since December 24th and I won't give her them ever again. It is very hard on their system and long term usage can cause a whole host of health issues. I would also give Milk Thistle, 10 days on 10 days off for a few months after stopping pred to cleanse the liver.

Muay gets 10 mg. of Reactin (zyrtec in the US) a day and she's doing well.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:21 pm

We;ve been on 1/2 tab every other day for a few weeks now. The bumps are gone :peace: and hes been playing in the sun all summer so far. We dont have to hide from outside anymore!

While I am concerned with the side effects of the pred, I am watching for any changes very closely.
So far I have noticed the typical increase in food and water. He never ate much in the beginning, so a little extra with all of his exercise isnt hurting him. As for the water, he is drinking an insane amount of water. I always have fresh water available. I am a firm believer in that, but man when he goes out to pee.. we stand there for at least a minute straight while he lunges and pees.

His behavior hasnt changed much either. If anything he is more of a couch potato and hambone then he was before. He has had a very annoying beagle to bother him all week and I havent seen any signs of aggression, although I wouldnt blame him!
LOL

So far we have had positive results. I am thinking of trying these shampoos toward the end of the warm season when we take him off the pred. slowly to keep the bumps at bay.
Im so glad he's comfortable now. I hated those hives, they looked soo itchy.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:25 pm

It's SO nice to read this update!! I'm glad Dozer is hive-free and you can stress less!! :peace:

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 am

Ilovethepits wrote:It's SO nice to read this update!! I'm glad Dozer is hive-free and you can stress less!! :peace:

Thank you! We are very happy ourselves and he can finally enjoy a summer outside with us without baths or being a benadryl druggee. =[ LOL

Return to “Health Issues”