Skinny Dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
staydubbin
Newborn Bully

Skinny Dog

Postby staydubbin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:57 pm

I have a male red nose, he is about 3 years old. and about 70lbs or so but skinny, both of his parents were very thick and muscular. he has lots of muscle but in his ribs are skinny. I have tried everything from cheap food to expensive high protein food. the thing is his stomach is sensitive and the only thing that doesnt give him the runs is the inexpensive food. (when i switched foods i went through 3 bags of 45lb bags each) so i let his stomach try to settle.... any advice would be great! i tend to not take him out in public with lots of people because they think he is starved... i feed my dogs twice a day, about 2 cups per feeding, sometimes more if he is still hungry...

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Re: Skinny Dog

Postby Kahlie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Can you show a pic?

staydubbin
Newborn Bully

Postby staydubbin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 pm

this is the only pic i had on my phone kinda hard to tell i will try to get some when i get some. of the side

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:43 pm

A pic of him standing up, from the side would be best. Keep in mind most pet dogs are kept overweight, this breed is meant to be lean, although it sounds like yours is quite a big boy anyways but a few ribs should be showing and a nice tuck, with a waist you can see from the top. Hip bones/spine protruding is usually a sign a dog is too thin, although a roached back dog will show some spine.

staydubbin
Newborn Bully

Postby staydubbin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 pm

GoingPostal wrote:A pic of him standing up, from the side would be best. Keep in mind most pet dogs are kept overweight, this breed is meant to be lean, although it sounds like yours is quite a big boy anyways but a few ribs should be showing and a nice tuck, with a waist you can see from the top. Hip bones/spine protruding is usually a sign a dog is too thin, although a roached back dog will show some spine.

here is a pic, its hard to see his ribs in pics because of his brindle..

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 pm

"I have a male red nose" red nose is not a breed name, only the color of his nose.

and to me he looks good, but as you said it may be hard for us to see because of the lighting and the brindle.
but i'm also not an expert.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm

He doesn't look that bad in that pic, it's hard to say.
Has the vet tested the dog for illnesses? Has he been dewormed regularly?
What brands have you tried thus far? What's he eating now?

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:34 pm

I can kind of see his hip bones a bit in that picture, and his stomach is pretty sucked in. He certainly doesn't look starved to me - but I also don't think a few pounds would make him over-weight, either.

You might want to increase his food even by 1/4 cup a day.

We recently took our Beagle in because she'd lost some weight since we got the puppies. She did become too thin (I know, a Beagle that's too skinny? I didn't think it was possible!) - The vet said to increase her food for two weeks and re-weigh her. If she hadn't gained anything we would then do some testing. She didn't need to gain a lot, she just needed to show some weight gain. She did gain, so we've left it and she's now back to a healthy weight.

You might want to increase his food consistently for about a two week period and re-evaluate, if you feel he hasn't gained anything you can go to the vet and let them know you've already tried a food increase and need to pursue medical testing.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:01 am

I wouldn't add anything, personally. He looks fine. My dogs usually show a bit more rib than that, at times. I prefer to keep them lean, as they should be.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:05 am

I wouldn't add anything either.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:11 am

X3!

We're too used to seeing over weight dogs that we don't recognize a healthy weight anymore. I think he looks great. I keep my guys lean, just so that I am able to see the outline of their ribs. Less stress on joints, and I am paranoid about one of them tearing a cruciate!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:15 am

I wouldn't add anything to be honest, just as others had said. I would add some muscle tone, make him more defined.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:41 am

Yeah he looks fine to me as well. You can't make a dog "thick", he would just be overweight which is not a healthy state to be in.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 am

From what I can see on those pics (side, top view are best for analysis)...he looks good.
But I'd also like to echo what others suggested: deworm, if he hasn't been already.

What were the 'expensive' foods you tried? How long was he on them for? Did you try adding yogurt before (helps stomach), and have you noticed ingredients that may have been a trigger? (may be food sensitivity).

He's still young, and likely has a good metabolism. I personally am not a fan of the "thick" (aka overweight) dog...this breed is meant to be athletic, quick moving, not a brick ...lol

I've heard the argument many times over that if you can see/feel the ribs, the dog is too skinny.
This, frequently, comes from those who think that a 'thick', 'beefy' looking dog (of any breed) is healthy.

For this breed, (as well as many others) that's not the case, I'd suggest.

Look in the Gallery section to see some other dogs, that would compare to yours, and see their size/shape...
His parents may well be overweight, with the owners thinking that's healthy (I've seen it ALLLL too many times).

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 am

While he "looks fine" if he's getting diarrhea from his food, there's a problem.
If it's true diarrhea where he cannot control his BMs, that's an issue and should warrant a trip to the vet to discuss why he's getting it.

Return to “Health Issues”