Kibble help

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Re: Kibble help

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 am

Kingsgurl wrote:See which works best for the little princess :) Martin sends her smooches..... he's shameless. roflmao

lol

Veronica sends a :smooch: right back at him. Sadly she's not seeing much action of the canine variety these days! lol

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:10 am

oooh, and remember, most places that sell the higher grade kibbles, will keep samples on hand.
So, you could get Princess Veronica ( ;) ) some samples to see which food she likes best.

CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby CinderDee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:16 am

I feed this food and absolutely love it! It's grain free though.
http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:06 am

CinderDee wrote:I feed this food and absolutely love it! It's grain free though.
http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml

I remember when I first got a sample of that I mae a thread on here titled "the most expensive dog food in the world" lol
I alternate every other bag of a few non grain kibble food and ZiwiPeak is one of the foods I use , my dog(s) love/loved every single crumb of Ziwi Peak.
I have a bag now to open once the bag of Arcana is finished this week.

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:24 am

I'm feeding Nature's Variety Instinct kibble and supplementing with a raw meal (currently getting kibble in AM, raw in PM). I tried TOTW but for some reason it didnt seem to agree with Rhys. The Natures Variety seems to suit him better, stable stools and less gas. I was thinking of trying the Prairie, but my vet strongly suggested I stick with grain-free for Rhys.

Really though, it seems to just research, find a good food, and hope your dog likes it and that it agrees with them!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:53 am

Acana sounds great--except for one major concern. The prairie variety has walleye ("caught-wild from cold northern lakes in Canada") as one of its major protein sources. This is a BAD idea. Walleye is a large predatorial fish, high in mercury, and Canada has a fish advisory warning out on walleye: no walleye consumption for anyone who is of child-bearing age or who wants to have children in the future. No more than 1 small meal a month for everyone else. Mercury is no better for dogs than for people, and I wouldn't feed food containing walleye to my dog on a regular basis. Plus, toxaphene often tracks mercury, and toxaphene levels are quite high in northern lakes and in predatorial fish that live in northern lakes. (What is Acana thinking? Everyone knows, or should know, to be very careful about walleye. This makes me wonder what else they're not paying close attention to).

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:43 am

tiva wrote:Acana sounds great--except for one major concern. The prairie variety has walleye ("caught-wild from cold northern lakes in Canada") as one of its major protein sources. This is a BAD idea. Walleye is a large predatorial fish, high in mercury, and Canada has a fish advisory warning out on walleye: no walleye consumption for anyone who is of child-bearing age or who wants to have children in the future. No more than 1 small meal a month for everyone else. Mercury is no better for dogs than for people, and I wouldn't feed food containing walleye to my dog on a regular basis. Plus, toxaphene often tracks mercury, and toxaphene levels are quite high in northern lakes and in predatorial fish that live in northern lakes. (What is Acana thinking? Everyone knows, or should know, to be very careful about walleye. This makes me wonder what else they're not paying close attention to).

Email the company and ask them about it. I'd LOVE to hear their reply.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:49 am

I didn't know about the walleye issue... I'd love to hear their response too!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Here's the email I sent. I'll post their response:

"Dear Sir or Madam:
I have a question regarding a protein source in Acana Prairie Harvest.

I am a professor in forest and wildlife ecology at the University of Wisconsin, researching toxic contamination in northern lakes and predatorial fish. I was quite surprised to see that walleye, "wild-caught from northern lakes", is one of your ingredients.

Walleye is a large predatorial fish, high in mercury, and much of Canada is covered by a fish advisory on walleye. Because of mercury (and also toxaphene), walleye consumption is not recommended for anyone who is of child-bearing age. No more than 1 small meal a month is recommended for everyone else.

Mercury is no better for dogs than for people, and I would not recommend feeding walleye to any dog on a regular basis.

Whitefish, which you also use, is a far safer choice, even though it does accumulate some persistent organic pollutants.

Could you please clarify why you include walleye, or else let us know that you will remove walleye from your food.

Sincerely,
Dr Nancy Langston"

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Hmmm...any response yet?

Also...is it true that Taurine is only available from China?* Do all dry dog foods have taurine and do all dry dog foods need added taurine?

*that's what natural balance said; and by nature said their vitamins & minerals come from Asia. To which, I ask...why?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:28 pm

No, not all dog foods contain Taurine (though cat food does) Taurine is not considered an essential ingredient in dog food, and therefore not required. I prefer to feed a food with Taurine in it. It is good for muscles, in particular the heart.

You should ask By Nature,, they are SUPER friendly and will tell you anything you want to know.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

That can't be true. Taurine comes from (and is beneficial to) hearts. And since I'm pretty sure even non-Chinese beings have hearts, there should be other sources for it.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Amie wrote:That can't be true. Taurine comes from (and is beneficial to) hearts. And since I'm pretty sure even non-Chinese beings have hearts, there should be other sources for it.

That's what I was thinking!!

Not the specific heart part....but the how come an amino acid is only available in China part.

When I emailed Natural Balance; this was their response:

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Natural Balance. Please know that over 94% of our ingredients are from the United States, 4% from New Zealand (Lamb & Venison), less than 1% from Europe (minerals), and less than 1% from Asia (this is because a specific amino acid, Taurine, is ONLY available in Asia). All of our formulas are manufactured in the United States and are tested from start to finish ensuring that there are no contaminants and that they are safe to feed. Natural Balance has a strict testing policy to insure the safety of our products in which we test ALL of our products/batches for nine different contaminates. These contaminates would include Salmonella, E. coli, Ochratoxin, Zearalenone, Fumonisin, Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, Aflatoxin, and DON (Vomitoxin). We post all of our test results online at http://www.naturalbalance.net/PetFoodScreening.tpl for our customers to view. If you should have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us via email or phone.
Have a great day.

Sincerely,
Kristi Choy, B.S.
Manager, Customer Service
Animal Nutrition

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
12924 Pierce Street
Pacoima, CA 91331
(800) 829-4493 x122

And when I emailed By Nature; they said:

Hi Johnna,

Thanks for asking ByNature!

ALL our dry dog food is made in the United States-and ALL our ingredients are USA and CANADA-sourced (not imported), EXCEPT lamb (from New Zealand) and vitamins and minerals (from Asia).

RayD-CUSTOMER SERVICE

BLUE SEAL FEEDS

BYNATURE PET FOODS

BRANDON FARMS PET FOODS

What is up with the vitamins & minerals from Asia???

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Weird. You can buy Taurine in a health food store (it comes in a not-unpleasantly flavored powder) and it might be worth it to get a food with 100% American ingredients and add the powder as you like.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:13 pm

I wouldn't add it to a dog food - but did some googling and found this:
http://www.fetchdog.com/learn-connect/d ... R000010761

Return to “Health Issues”