Nature's Variety Instinct Duck Meal & Turkey Meal

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Nature's Variety Instinct Duck Meal & Turkey Meal

Postby IloveBlu » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:53 pm

We are having to switch Blu's food again. He's on NB Sweet Potato & Fish and having terrible gas which leads me to believe he may have a problem with either salmon or sweet potatoes. However, he had no stomach issues on Wellness Ocean Core(just lost a ton of weight). So I'd like to try something that's not so heavy on the fish. I'm kind of playing with fire as we don't know what proteins he's allergic to, but I'm avoiding chicken/lamb. What's attractive about this food to me is that it has no potatoes like the other grain free products out there.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/dog/kibble/duck

Any thoughts on the company or product?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Nature's Variety Instinct Duck Meal & Turkey Meal

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:38 pm

If he is allergic to chicken I would stay away from duck and/or Turkey. I'm assuming there is a reason you are avoiding chicken.

The wellness ocean core has both salmon and sweet potatoes in it. How long has he been on the NB?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Can he do the Venison NB?? There is also Bison which is newer.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:34 pm

How long was he on the food? Did you try a pro-biotic like yogurt??

Chances are good it has nothing to do with any sensitivity and the food just isn't working well for him. Just because broccoli gives me gas doesn't mean I'm allergic to it!

Best of luck on your journey to the perfect food!

If the next one doesn't work out, try something thats NOT grain free... I've had amazing luck with Purina Pro Plan... don't read past the first 4 ingredients though, it'll just throw you for a loop. Read your dog, not the ingredients list :D

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:52 pm

He was on NB for about 4 months and did okay but did run into some gas and soft stool issues once in a while. Switched to Wellness Ocean Core for about a month (one 26lb. bag) and he did really well, but lost weight despite feeding him a ton of it. Went back to NB because I didn't know where else to turn and we're about 3-4 weeks in this round.

I agree that it doesn't seem he has an allergy to fish or sweet potatoes per se, it seems that the food is not agreeing with him anymore.

I do hesitate to give him duck but we don't *know* that he has an allergy to chicken. I just avoided it because the vet said it's a common allergen. That said, outside of the NB line, this is one of the only foods that DOESN'T mix their main ingredients with chicken or chicken fat.

Additionally, I think he needs a bit of a higher protein food than NB offers. I've also looked at Orijen and Acana but they're a tad out of our price range.

This seemed to be a decent quality grain-free food, at a decent price, with quality ingredients. But I hadn't heard anything about it on here. I'm trying to tread very carefully here because of his "sensitivities" but I also know that he needs a change.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Beef and chicken are both common allergens (I believe in that order). That doesn't necessarily mean that all red meats or poultry are - for example Oscar can't have beef, but he can have venison. My cat Aslan is allergic to chicken, but not quail or turkey. Duck is not a common allergen. But you're right, chicken or chicken fat is in SO many foods out there! Good luck!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Avoid the chicken, good planning there, but chicken fat should not cause allergic reactions even in dogs allergic to chicken if it is handled and manufactured appropriately.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Well I took the leap. We're on day 4 of a slowwwww transition. And we're having soft stool. A lot of it. I'm giving him plenty of plain yogurt. Ugh. I hate this. I just want a quality food that agrees with him.

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:43 pm

I just picked up bag also for our morning meals. Rhys gets kibble in the morning and I think I've FINALLY found something that agrees with him!! lol. I can't really say anything about it yet since this is only the second day of his breakfast being all Instinct kibble. He seems to tolerate it much better than he did TOTW though. his loose stools have suddenly stopped and I may look into doing mostly Instinct and occasional raw once my raw supply runs out in the next month or so.

I will let you know how Rhys does as we continue on... Hopefully your guy adjusts well!

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm

HELP!

I changed from NB because of his loose stools/gas and these issues are getting worse as we transition to Instinct.

I don't know if it's the old food, the new food, both.....or something more serious :sad:

On Saturday, he had a poop accident, which he has NEVER done before...so I know it's bad.

But I read this food is supposed to be good for stomach issues because of the tapioca. How long do I give it before I stop it? Should I keep transitioning or go completely to the new? Or revert back to the old?

I may try to get him into the vet tomorrow, if I can get some time off work in the afternoon.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Anyone? Poor guy is so sad looking. I have to have a dog walker come twice tomorrow because I don't want him to be uncomfortable trying to hold it/be embarrassed and have an accident. He went to daycare today because I didn't have a dog walker lined up and I knew he couldn't hold it all day while I was at work. I want to give this food a chance but not at the expense of my dog's health.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Have you tried a probiotic in pill or powder form instead of yogurt? It takes a lot of yogurt to make a real difference in his digestive tract. What ratio are you are now with the switch, 50-50?

Molly had loose stools and gas on NV but it's actually one of the foods I want to try her on again. I want her to eat something other than fish from time to time and I was planning on giving her a probiotic in pill form a couple of weeks prior to switching her over. From what I remember of what a friend told me, it can take a little time to build up the gut flora when you give probiotics.

Is he on any meds right now?

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:38 pm

I've tried Fortiflora with him in the past when he had these same issues on Natural Balance. It didn't do hardly anything.

He's taking Atopica (just started month 2), 2.5mg prednisone and 10mg. claritin daily. I stopped all his supplements, including fish oil, for the time being.

Now I'm looking at him and he's freaking licking his paws and having awful gas. Sure, they get irritated on the gravel at daycare, but now I'm thinking he could be reacting to something in the food. Maybe he really does need a limited ingredient diet. The vet loves to suggest Purina Sensitive Systems or some blend of Hill's. Even though he has allergies! And he thinks allergy testing is a waste because it's often inaccurate. And he only does the serum. And I can't afford a derm. right now with his Atopica monthly cost.

I almost tried the Rabbit formula fron NV but it said on the website they source their rabbit from China. No thanks.

I know he's not himself and I feel terribly.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:15 pm

Hmm, Molly licked her feet a lot before we figured out that beef doesn't work her.

I just looked up some possible side effects of prednisone and Atopica – note that I'm using google and I'm not a vet – and both of them list soft stools, diarrhea and gastrointestinal issues as possible side effects amongst other things. Since he seemed to do okay on NB, maybe just switch him back to that?

How long will he be on Atopica and prednisone? I would imagine that both should be fairly short term use due to the side effects?

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:55 am

Well, off to the vet this am.

Woke up at 5 am to a mess in his crate--another thing he has never done. He was crying--I'm so mad at myself for not hearing him earlier. It was liquid and bloody.

Currently, we're trying to wean him off of the pred and onto the Atopica but the vet wants to wait until we hit 6 weeks on Atopica. I tend to think this is all due to the food change--when he was on NB he was okay but still very gassy and had loose stools, but obviously not quite like this.

Return to “Health Issues”