Chopper : nervous peeing

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jrowephoto
Super Bully

Chopper : nervous peeing

Postby jrowephoto » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Chopper has always been a timid little soul. I've had him since 8 weeks old, and to my knowledge he's never had a bad experience. Since I've had him he'd get a little nervous when i'd say "no" sternfully...and would pee a little. When he did this, he would have his ears back, look very timid if that's a way of saying it, and would be squirting out pee continuously. I didn't scold him, i didn't want to add to it. i'd put him outside, and clean it up.

that hasn't happened much lately, it's been great. today i took chopper to the vet b/c he had splotches where his hair was missing. i knew it had to be red mange, lucy had it :( he has it. I left him with them to dip him and picked him up after work. when we left the vet, there was a little pomeranean (sp?) that growled at him...he pissed everywhere. he gets to the car, i ask him to sit, he sits and pees. i get him home, lucy comes up to him and smells him, he pees. i hate seeing him like this.

I know he's just stressed out b/c he has never been through a medicated dip, or bath, before...but what's the best thing to do? i'm at a loss...and I hate it for him. lord why do these dogs have to be like my kids...it breaks my heart seeing him like this.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. I know cane corsos from what i've read are known to be big timid babies and are known to be "submissive urinators" at times, but any help from you pros on here that can give me any pointers would be really great.

Thanks in advance

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Chopper : nervous peeing

Postby starrlamia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:40 pm

I wonder if the Cautious Canine by Patricia McConnell would help?

I would recommend going for the ivermectin treatment over the dips. From what I have read/heard the dips are a lot more taxing on dogs then getting the ivermectin.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:46 am

Kind of similar but Nero didn't submissive pee the month we had him until he went in for his neuter, when we picked him up he peed on the floor and from then on out peed when people came over, especially men, peed whenever James came home. We made sure to make entrances boring and ignore him at first, no leaning over him, his wasn't so much with raised or mean voices just overexcitement but I think the same general rules apply, ignore and clean up and he should get over it. I would probably look into a trainer or a fearful dogs class type of thing, build some confidence in him if you can.

And I agree with starr, dips are pretty hard on dogs, puppy demodex is so common, if it's just a few spots I would just do the oral meds and try to boost his immune system, add fish oil to the diet, etc.

jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby jrowephoto » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

he naturally just quit...but i'm pretty sure he'll do it again after the next dip :( red mange sucks, so expensive to treat.

i'll check w/ the vet to see if he recommends any alternate forms. What were some of the names of some you have used before? Ivermectin work very well, and is it as expensive?

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Postby afrikaPB » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Ivermectic works SO well and since Chopper is a pup his dose might be low enough that it won't cost too much.
A 50ml bottle costs $50ish on amazon.
My adult foster is 55 pounds, and got 1ml orally of Ivermec daily (his dose increased slightly as he put on weight to 1.4ml per day), for two months, and I spent +/- $100. It's worth it, imo, at least for generalized cases.

Return to “Health Issues”