Just introduced our dogs to BARF tonight (raw chicken dinner

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Just introduced our dogs to BARF tonight (raw chicken dinner

Postby DannyNyce » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:02 am

So after doing a lot of reading and seeking advice from more experienced friends in the subject, tonight we introduced our 2 males, each 5 years young to their first raw chicken dinner.

Even though I was a bit grossed out at the beginning, they both loved it.
I served them a chicken drumstick each. One of the dogs swallowed the entire thing almost without chewing on it. I was a bit scared but it passed. The other one took his time crushing bone and finally ate a huge chunk.

The thing is, one of my cousins, a vet tech, is giving me heat over me doing this.

Anybody else felt nervous when switching to the 'raw side'?

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Just introduced our dogs to BARF tonight (raw chicken di

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Just an FYI.

Ten years later, our vet now feeds raw.

She gave me a 90 minute lecture on our first appointment stating all the "medical rumors" about how dangerous raw is to both animals and people. (This was when I knew she'd be a great vet to partner in health as she'd push me to be the best dog owner I could...)

She REALLY struggled when she crossed over to the raw side. If someone with 30 years of experience in animal health care is struggling (not to mention a doctorate!), you should expect to struggle.

I'd suggest you get a list from the vet tech of all the things they worry about and do your own research. It will be a great education.

LMW

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Re: Just introduced our dogs to BARF tonight (raw chicken di

Postby DannyNyce » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:53 am

Ok. I feel better :nana:

It's been 6 days. They love it. I'm hoping Jaxx drops off a few pounds, gets his lean on :headbang:

Return to “Health Issues”