choosing food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Graham
Newborn Bully

choosing food?

Postby Graham » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:25 pm

So, I got allergy testing done for my dog and she is allergic to tons of stuff. The company gave a print out of the foods that she is NOT allergic to. This list is VERY small!

I want to make sure that the food I choose does NOT have pentobarbital residue in it. But, the foods that are okayed for her aren't even included in the FDA's survey of foods containing phenobarbital residue. So I am not sure what to do.

We switched to California Naturals Herring & Sweet Potato (because she loves salmon but she is allergic to salmon. We were sticking to the fishy-ness of the food, thinking if she likes salmon, she will like herring). She iisn't really a picky eater but she is making it pretty clear that she isn't crazy about her food.

So, on to more research in trying to pick a food that is reviewed well on the food advisor site and does not contain phenobarbital residue.

Of my choices, what would you do?

Eagle Pack Original Adult Lamb Meal & Brown Rice (3.5 star rating) phenobarbital residue? No idea.

Wellness Complete Health Adult Whitefish & Sweet Potato (3.5 star rating) phenobarbital residue? No idea. (Cost $20 more for a 30 pound bag than Eagle Pack).

I was looking at Nutro BUT phenobarbital residue was found in their food!

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: choosing food?

Postby turtle » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Have you considered feeding raw?

Raw is one of the best ways to feed a dog and I think it is why my 14 yr old dog is still alive, as she cannot eat chicken, beef, nor rice.

You might also read this thread as it has good info --

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158228

And this is a good read about what is in some of the fish kibbles --

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspo ... er-do.html

I would try raw, they usually do very well on it after the initial 3 or 4 weeks to detox their systems.

Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:59 pm

I have never considered raw before. I think because of cost. Are there any reasonably priced raw food diets???

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Raw does not have to be expensive... I did my own raw diet from using grocery store chicken thighs and it cost me right about $1 a pound which was actually less than a premium kibble.

I prefer to make my own raw as then I know exactly what is in it. Most of the pre-made raw pet diets are expensive and many have a lot of fillers in them. I feed mostly chicken, deer, beef, lamb, but no pork. Now that I know more about the dangers of factory farmed meats, I use the better raised meats which raises the cost some.

There is a lot of info on other threads about raw feeding, so you might check those out. Try a search for Raw and see what comes back.

I am lucky in that I can get deer during hunting season and cut it up and fill a freezer. It is all good natural meat and bone and we eat the best pieces ourselves and the dog gets the rest.

Good luck and do try a raw diet, it can work wonders...

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:26 am

We went raw for our 2 boys almost a year ago. It is comparable in price if you shop smart. Plus you will save a lot of money in vet bills and meds.

We did A LOT of research before going raw. Great results shedding some bloat, coat looking shinny and teeth looking clean!
:thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”