Excessive drooling

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Excessive drooling

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi everyone!

I tried to see if there was already a topic on this. I apologize if I missed it, and I'm creating a duplicate. :\

My 2 yr old pit mix started drooling excessively all of a sudden Thursday evening. She's not a drooler; this is unusual. She's keeping her mouth slightly open more times than not instead of just closing it. She's acting like she's drinking A LOT of water, but when I go to check her bowl afterwards most of the water is still in the bowl and filled with saliva! So I doubt she's barely actually drinking much water at all, it must just feel good to have water in her mouth.

She's eating. Seems she eats most of her breakfast, and all of her dinner the past few days. She's peeing and pooping fine. She's NOT vomiting. She has burped a few times which is unusual.

The main/only symptom is the excessive salivation.

I can't find anything in her mouth. Her gums and teeth seem okay to me.

I emailed my vet and this is all they said:

"Excessive salivation is often a sign of nausea but it doesn't quite sound like that's was going on with Jessie since she is eating and not vomiting. Animals will also do this if they are very nervous or stressed. Her appetite is 100%? Is her energy 100%? If you feel that she is a little off, you are welcome to bring her in. Any chance she could have eaten something outside, like a bad tasting plant? I would say if they salivating continues much longer I would bring her in so we can take a look at her."

I really don't think she's nervous or stressed about anything. She's acting normal. She's getting plenty of exercise, etc.

I have no problem bringing her in if that's what I need to do, but if she's eating & pooping fine, I don't want to waste my money. Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts at all?

Bullseye

Re: Excessive drooling

Postby Bullseye » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Well to be honest, if she is pooing & eating ok and don't seem tired, I wouldn't have thought that it would be too serious, there is a possibility that she could have eaten something odd, if your really worried have her checked over by a vet, excitement could also cause drooling, also it might pay to check her teeth, keep me posted :)

~John~

Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Right. That's what I'm hoping. The excessive salivating is SUPER unusual... She's never done this before. However, it's really the only symptom. That's why I'm going to give it a couple more days. If it goes on a for a week, then I"ll take her in to have her teeth checked out (although I'm not sure how they even check for a tooth ache?!? x-ray?). She doesn't seem to be too uncomfortable or in pain... If I thought she was in pain I'd take her in right away.

I don't know what she could have eaten but it's always possible.

Thanks for replying!

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:39 pm

That's ok, as for checking her teeth, have a look to see if there is any inflammation on her gums.

Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Don't see anything. Her gums look like they normally do.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:01 pm

This may sound like a silly thing to say, is there a bitch on heat within the vicinity of where you are or where she walks? because when a dog or indeed a bitch get a whiff of a bitch in heat they tend to keep their mouth open slightly and even very lightly but quickly chatter their jaws, which would cause a bit of drooling.... just another possibility...

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:29 am

I don't know... I'd be worried over those symptoms. I am not one to take a dog to the vet for nothing but if this drooling started on Thursday and is still going on, I would take her to the vet.

Things that came to mind are... something stuck in her teeth or way back in her jaw hinge, possible poisoning (my old dog was given rat poison yrs ago by a neighbor and it made her drool and bleed internally),or some other problem. Does her breath smell worse than normal?

I hope she is better now and that you don't have to take her in but if she is still drooling, I would get her checked.

Good luck and hope she is fine.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:12 pm

:goodpost: I have to say now thinking about it, you should get her checked over

patty

Postby patty » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:40 pm

How is your girl doing?

Jamie&Jessie
Newborn Bully

Postby Jamie&Jessie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 am

thank you all!

She's doing better! So it started that Thursday night, and the following Tuesday night I decided to try brushing her teeth. The toothbrush got just a little bloody when I was brushing her bottom left side. She's better doing better and better ever since...

Maybe there was something stuck and I got it out? I'm still unsure of what the problem is, but the drooling has slowed down SIGNIFICANTLY, and she's actually drinking her water rather than mainly just drooling in it.

No other symptoms ever came up (vomiting, diarrhea, etc), so I was going to let it go a full week, but I didn't have to. I'm so glad she's doing better!! That was a weird one.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:24 pm

That's good to hear, I was wondering how she was doing then boom a reply :) so it is possible that she had something stuck in there then.... you should get to use some mouthwash too & floss regularly... only kidding.. no seriously, good to hear that she is doing better now :) :hug:

patty

Postby patty » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:22 pm

Excellent!!

Return to “Health Issues”