Romeo is not in love atm

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PinKster
Matured Bully

Romeo is not in love atm

Postby PinKster » Thu May 19, 2016 3:36 pm

I rescued him from the city and we're home in the country, about a month ago and I have been noticing his skin has been having issues.

He plays a lot in the water, so it could just be dry skin, but the longer I've had him I'm starting to wonder if it's something more.

We're gradually switching to RAW and he has a vet appt next week.

Anything I can do relieve ha itching until then?

Pics

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/crykfree/library/Romeo

Bullseye

Re: Romeo is not in love atm

Postby Bullseye » Thu May 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Vetracept or fullmarks knit foam, that's what I have used in the past, apply once a day :)

But I'm in the UK not sure if the same stuff would be available..

petty254
Newborn Bully

Re: Romeo is not in love atm

Postby petty254 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:42 pm

One common cause of itching is dry skin. If you live in a region with low humidity, it’s more likely that your dog will have dry skin, which is fairly easy to recognize. When you part your dog’s hair, you see flakes of dandruff in the undercoat, and the skin itself may be cracked and tough. The slightest stimulation of the skin—your gentlest touch—can provoke your dog to scratch violently.

Dry skin can be influenced not only by environmental factors, but also by diet. Commercial pet foods process out the good oils that contribute to healthy skin and a lustrous haircoat. Dry pet foods have an even more dehydrating effect on skin and hair and also stimulate increased thirst, which only partially compensates for the drying nature of these diets.

If you must feed dry foods, then by all means add digestive enzymes to your dog’s meals. In fact, digestive enzymes are good to use with any type of food. Enzymes improve the release of nutrients, and beneficial probiotic bacteria also assist in the digestive process. (Probiotics also help with allergies, as noted below.) A healthy digestive system absorbs fluids more readily from the food your dog eats, thus improving hydration and increasing the moisture levels of the skin and haircoat.

Return to “Health Issues”