HELP HELP HELP: To neuter or not to neuter?!?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Gunnar
Newborn Bully

HELP HELP HELP: To neuter or not to neuter?!?

Postby Gunnar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:29 pm

I need advise!!

I have a wonderful, blue nose pit named Gunnar. We adopted him when he was 3 months old and now that he's 8 months, alas, he's become a dog. He doesn't have a problem with marking or humping (yet) but has suddenly become very destructive and does not pay attention to me while training. He is an extremely low energy pup, but if he sees another dog or person, he'll do everything he can to go to them. I have always spent an exceptional amount of time training and exercising him, and up until now he has been extremely trainable and well mannered.

Here's my dilemma. When we got him, our intention was for him to be for protection in addition to companionship. After seeing how low energy he is and how affectionate he is, though, I think anything less than professional, expensive training won't be much good. My boyfriend's argument is that if we fix him now, he will become useless for protection and will only become lazier. He is also concerned about his growth and bone health, seeing testosterone aids in development. My concern is that his behavior will only worsen, and unless I hire a professional trainer, he will pick up bad habits and will become a liability. I don't want to keep him in a kennel while we're in our apartment, and I don't want to keep him chained up when we have a yard...

I love my boy, and I want what is best for him. Is he too young to neuter or should we wait until he is a year old? Will he become totally docile when fixed or will he still have a protective instinct?

Thanks in advance!

Bullseye

Re: HELP HELP HELP: To neuter or not to neuter?!?

Postby Bullseye » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 am

Well firstly I have to say neutering will make absolutely no difference whatsoever, it really won't help & yes it will be detrimental to his growth & will make him lazy (potentially) I have to say in my own experience... the others on here will probably tear me a new one for saying this, but the so called "benifits" will be minimal if existent at all, as for it being a shortcut to training... forget it! Many dogs I've seen have the chop & they've put weight on very quickly, as for humping that very rarely works, as a matter of fact it's likely they'll have more chance of continuing to hump things after being neutered, there are many solutions to address this kind of behaviour, but having bits removed, is certainly not one of them....

Hope this helps.

~John~

Gunnar
Newborn Bully

Postby Gunnar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:33 am

Thank you so much for your advise! We discussed it more and we agree...I found a local trainer that we're going to work with instead. I've stepped up his exercise and he's a lot calmer :) I've only ever had fixed male dogs, so I wasn't quite prepared.

Lets see how it goes!

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am

Ofcourse, training is pretty much the answer to most things.. Glad I could help! :)

And last but not least.. put some pics up when you get a moment! :)

~John~

Gunnar
Newborn Bully

Postby Gunnar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Gunnar when we got him at 3 months!

Image Image

Him at 7 months!

He's my little adventure buddy! He LOVES hiking and camping. These pictures are from our trip to Colorado...we're from Texas so he was so cold!!

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Handsome chap indeed.. love his ears! :))

Thanks for sharing!

Gunnar
Newborn Bully

Postby Gunnar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks! I'm so glad his previous owners didn't crop them off...they really add to his personality.

He had his first professional lesson today! He did wonderfully and we learned a lot. The two biggest things we're working on is recall and adjusting to public places (he gets a little nervous)

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 am

That's brilliant, sounds like you have yourself a good dog to work with.. just need to work on the nervousness.. :)

Gunnar
Newborn Bully

Postby Gunnar » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 pm

We start our serious public training on Tuesday...he's an Emotional Support Dog and his vest gets here on Tuesday. We've tried it before, but EVERYONE we pass wants to talk to me and wants to pet him and it sets us back. He's very friendly, but I don't want him to pay attention to other people when we're in public.

He's still doing better with recall. Do you have any suggestions for getting him comfortable in strange buildings?

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Just keep taking him to those places until he gets used to it, it could help if you reward him while he's in those places, but check with your trainer first as I don't want to conflict with their regime :)

Also if you're worried about people touching him while he's in training you could get a collar saying "do not touch" on it, like the ones we make:

Hope this helps! :))

~John~

Gunnar
Newborn Bully

Postby Gunnar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Are those Malinois?? So beautiful!

We've started going to a new place every day and working. I'm actually working towards training him as a service dog, so he now has a vest with 'in training' patches. This really really helps people know not to approach us, and it makes training so much easier!

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:14 am

Yes they are Malinois :) they're not mine, they're some dogs we made some collars for :)

Wow.. He looks good with his vest on :)

Gunnar
Newborn Bully

Postby Gunnar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 pm

I think so, too :)

This is off topic, but my boyfriend and I have been tossing around the idea of a second dog sometime next year...do you think that's a good idea? By then, Gunnar should be fully trained and could really use a friend. I've heard a lot of cons about getting a second dog, though...is it a good idea?

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:51 am

Well it depends on how he is with other dogs, I've got 8 dogs, some are ok with others, some are not, Bullseye, Bonnie, Bill & Tuppence aren't too good with other dogs, so they have seperate sleeping quarters to, it's a precaution as much as anything, Staffs & Pit Bulls can sometimes do ok with other dogs, but they will do just as well solo..

Gunnar
Newborn Bully

Postby Gunnar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 am

Gunnar LOVES other dogs...he plays very well with others. My only concern is that he'll bond with the other dog more than with my boyfriend and I and lose interest in training. Have you had this happen?

Return to “Health Issues”