Doing good on bad food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Doing good on bad food?

Postby Sariss » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 pm

As a lot of people know, Daisy is on not-so-good food. (Pedigree) I'll call her my dad's dog, since I am moving out and she will not be coming with me. But basically my dad is one of those freaking penny pinchers, and refuses to get better food. I would settle for something even like Iams or Purina, but it's been a no-go so far. Also since our last dog lived to be 14 when the average lifespan was 8-10 years on crap food, he thinks its just a ploy.

Anyways I've always heard of stuff you see with dogs who are on a crap food. Shedding, stinky, big light poops, itchy, bad coat, etc etc. Daisy has none of these. I almost want to say she is thriving, despite the horrid food. Which makes me think, yes.. she would probably do a lot better on a high quality food.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had a dog that did really well on a not so good food?

(By the way, even though I won't be living with her anymore, I will still push to get her food changed. I have my mom pretty much convinced and if I get her 100% convinced she will probably just buy Daisy's food from now on. Which shouldn't be hard, since the Chis are on RAW)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:50 pm

I've seen dogs do great on diets that make me (chicken noodle soup only) shudder. Most of the people here shudder to think that my dogs do well on Science Diet. In general, healthy dogs can do well on just about anything. They just do better on better food.

Your dog will tell you if it needs better nutrition. I live on Wheat Thins and Reisens, and I'm OK...

I wouldn't fight a fight you can't win. I had to start sending home free food to get my parents to switch. Most people just don't think about what they feed.

Sirian
Super Bully

Postby Sirian » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:56 am

My husbands old Lab lived until just shy of 16 and was fed Pedigree her whole life. She was always very healthy right up until the end when she started to go senile and then had a stroke and needed to be PTS :( Every dog does different on different foods, if she does well on Pedigree I wouldnt worry about it.

toledo-kip
Adolescent Bully

Postby toledo-kip » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 am

I personally dont think pedigree is a bad food at all it has 3 or 4 different chunks of kibble in the bag. i think it should get more positive feedback then what it really gets..... I feed kip 1 cup of pedigree and 1 cup natural choice lamb and rice for each meal. and he is very very healthy. he maintains his lean 95lb body with 4 cups a food a day.. only poops twice a day...his activity is still very high as he is only a year and a half...

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:34 am

Some of the ab people used to put forward the "natural dog" theory. This was that the very best dogs could be fed crap food, not trained or socialized, kept on a chain, and be solid temperamented, robust, sound, healthy dogs. It was really an excuse for milling out pups from unproven dogs, however, it does hold true for some dogs. Not justifying the practice, I figure if these dogs were great reared like this, imagine what they could have been.

pitbullcrazy30
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullcrazy30 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:31 am

my husbands first male apbt, lived to be 14 on pedegree, his second dog lived 12 years on it , and i hate to say it but my boy now was on it up till 3 months ago and he did exellent on it, i dont know kinda weird huh?!! but ill tell u this i switched to 3/4 raw and 1/4 kibble and oooooomg.. what a diffrence in his energy level ,he looked great on pedigree but he didnt feel as great as he does now!!!

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:03 am

pitbullcrazy30 wrote:my husbands first male apbt, lived to be 14 on pedegree, his second dog lived 12 years on it , and i hate to say it but my boy now was on it up till 3 months ago and he did exellent on it, i dont know kinda weird huh?!! but ill tell u this i switched to 3/4 raw and 1/4 kibble and oooooomg.. what a diffrence in his energy level ,he looked great on pedigree but he didnt feel as great as he does now!!!

Well... maybe I shouldn't switch. lol I do NOT want Daisy's energy level any worse. A 3-4 hour bike ride at top speed is just her warming up these days. roflmao

Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Melody » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:57 am

My parents & grandparents don't spend a whole lot on food for both cats & dogs. They also do not vaccinate every year. My parents had a cat that lived to just shy of 19 yrs on Meow Mix & 9 Lives food, she wasn't spayed until she was 8, never saw a vet before that. Their dog is 8-9 yrs old and acts like a puppy (their lab/shar pei mix, who is also not neutered & heartworm positive) they also have a pit bull that I rescued, she's really over weight, but I put that on not enough exercise. I talked them into making her a springpole. She is spayed & I bring her heartworm prevention. My grandparents have a 14 yr old chow mix who is not spayed & is heartworm positive, she lives on Pedigree and has no health problems except skin irritations every once in awhile. A dog can live in any food, just like you could live on McDonalds your whole life, but that doesn't mean its the best, or healthy by any means. My dogs eat Timberwolf (and when I can afford it again, raw) and my cats get Felidae & Wellness (canned) foods. I owe it to them to give them the best.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 pm

Well my cats get Felidae at least. :D But they are mine, as in moving out with me when I move.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:04 pm

my vet in oregon had two 17 yr old brother sister GSDs that lived their whole life on kibbles and bits and table scraps :-x

He was one of those country vets.. great common sense and figured if it worked then by golly he wasn't gunna mess with a good thing

My parents also raised a 19 yo PitJack on table scraps and various grocery store brand kibbles...

ofcourse my dogs look like chocolate on anything but the costly stuff :po:

JaystreetsA4
Bully Ambassador

Postby JaystreetsA4 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:20 pm

check out the pics of emilio i have in the gaklllery. he is fed different types of pedigree/purina brand foods.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:06 pm

Some dogs do fine on less than stellar food. And honestly, Pedigree is far from the worst food available. It's not what I'd feed, but it is better than most of the grocery store foods.

pitbullcrazy30
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullcrazy30 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:12 pm

Adrianne wrote:my vet in oregon had two 17 yr old brother sister GSDs that lived their whole life on kibbles and bits and table scraps :-x

He was one of those country vets.. great common sense and figured if it worked then by golly he wasn't gunna mess with a good thing

My parents also raised a 19 yo PitJack on table scraps and various grocery store brand kibbles...

ofcourse my dogs look like chocolate on anything but the costly stuff :po:
hello i was just curious ,what part of oregon are u from? im from oregon too, but i live in ndakota now!!

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Yes, some dogs do OK on less than the best. My childhood dog, a Miniature Poodle, was fed Meow Mix her whole life and lived to be 16. It was probably better for her than Ol' Roy, but...

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:14 pm

up until recently, my mom has ALWAYS fed Pedigree (most often lamb and rice.) Bogart - my lab/newfoundland lived to 13, which I think is pretty damn old for 125lb muttsky with bad hips. Ben - our lab/dalmation was 14, almost 15. Gracie - lab/boxer was 16 when I made the choice to put her to sleep. (can ya tell my mom had a thing for lab mixes?)

None of them EVER had any health problems of any sort (other than old age stuff during their last year) except for Bo's bad hips, and they started being an issue when he was like 3.

Lily and Ralph (lab/aussies) never had any issues on it until shortly after they hit 5 (about 9 months ago.) I started experimenting with different brands, but didnt know what I was doing until I found this site last April. I ultimately switched to Canidae after trying a couple other higher-end foods because Leeroy and Noke (avatar) both seem to have allergies and it was the one that all 4 seemed to be able to eat without problems.

Return to “Health Issues”