Gagging??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Adrianne

Gagging??

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:11 am

Two of my three dogs have been gagging.. not coughing but gagging?

Its not severe but it happens at night when we lay down for bed and in the middle of the night even.

Otherwise they seem in great health, we've been hiking, their appetite is great, energy level great, shiney eyes and coat..

Any ideas?

I'll make a vet appt if needed(which it might be).. I am just hoping a bit of insight might help? Does this sound like allergies? I just broke up with my live in boyfriend of 4.5 years and have taken the dogs with me to a friends house.. could this be stress caused?

As you can tell I'm confused.. :(

Also..
I had a house guest for a month that had just finished his treatment for worms. I check their poop regularly and no sign of any worms at all but this gagging that has just started has me concerned.. I mention the deworming of the house guest because I had been told dogs with worms can gag on worms ?? Is this just silly? I haven't been able to find it on google yet..

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:08 pm

Gagging on worms is rare. It can happen, usually in the case of roundworms, if there are so many worms in the intestines that it gets crowded in there. The adult worms (females especially) can wander away (out the anus, up into the stomach and then vomited, etc). But that is really very rare.

I would be worried about kennel cough or a URI. It could be allergies, but I would think it would be more of a cough.

Because 2 of the dogs have it I would think something contagious or something environmental. Did the dogs get into and eat anything strange?

I'd go to the vet just in case.

~Lindsay~

CALLEN329
Adolescent Bully

Postby CALLEN329 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:45 pm

Could they have swallowed something?

Return to “Health Issues”