CGC ?s

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Semper Bull
Matured Bully

CGC ?s

Postby Semper Bull » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:55 pm

I am training Semper to take the CGC. The two parts of the test I think he will have the most trouble with are the meeting a strange dog and the supervised separation.

He will sometimes snark at unfamiliar dogs. Generally he does okay on leash as long as the other dog does not try to get in his personal space or stare him down. Any training tips to have him be on his best behavior?

For the supervised separation I am worried that he will whine and talk too much to pass. Typically when we go to the vet, training class, etc. he whines and talks. What is a good a way to train him to be quiet?

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Re: CGC ?s

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm

When I took the CGC test, I was allowed to sit my dog before greeting the person during the dog-dog test. The dog is supposed to stay at your side for the most part, as long as they don't cross in front of you to greet the other dog.

As for the leaving bit. Do you have a friend who'd be willing to take the leash and give him goodies as you walk away? That way rather than worrying about you, he looks to the new leash-holder expectantly for goodies?

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 pm

If his issues are with supervised separation I would work on just that. Go out of sight for 1-2 seconds at first and have the person with him feed him goodies while you are out of sight so he builds a strong positive association with getting cheese etc only when he can't see you. Start slow and work up at the dog's pace. If he does start to whine make sure you don't teach him that it makes you come right back. Wait until he stops for a second before you come back. He should learn it's ok when you're out of sight, good things happen, and whining makes you turn around and walk away while quiet makes you come back. :)
Lars' and my issue with this part of the test was getting him to not molest the person he was left with haha. It's fun to train for though.

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:18 pm

The problem is that I do not have a "stranger" to help me train for the separation portion of the test. He will not try to leave or pull on the leash, but he will whine and talk. He does not do the Stafford song, so it could be worse. I can put him in a sit stay at home and leave out of sight and he has done really well with that. Do you think taking him to some unfamiliar environments where he might start talking would help so that I could reward him being silent would help?

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Update: Semper has his CGC!

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm

HOORRRRAAAAYYYY!!!!

How did he do on the separation thing?

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Congratulations! How awesome! :)

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

He talked a little during the separation, but not enough to fail that portion. Taking a 4 week class at the testing site helped; it was not a completely new place and we had practiced portions of the test and he got used to waiting (he also talks and whines when he is bored).

Gxkon
Newborn Bully

Postby Gxkon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 pm

What is the purpose of cgc. I want to do my dog kilo, but the meet another dog would be a complete fail. Some places for rent around here wont let you have a pit bull unless they have their cgc

Google that ish!!!!!!!!!!

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Congrats!! :yipee:

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:11 pm

CGC is the Canine Good Citizen test through the AKC. Basically is tests to see if your dog would be controlled in every day public situations. For the meet the other dog, both dogs are leashed and on their handler's left side. If your dog can walk down a sidewalk and be under control around the presence of other dogs, they should be able to pass the meet another dog portion. The dog does not have to like other dogs; just tolerate them in a controlled manner. The dog used in that portion of the test is a well trained dog that will ignore another leashed dog.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:20 pm

CONGRATS!

Return to “Training and Behavior”