Puppy crate problems! help us!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
IssyCullen316
Newborn Bully

Puppy crate problems! help us!

Postby IssyCullen316 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi everyone! I hope you're all having a wonderful day.

Im Isabel & my puppy is Keira. Keira has been here at home with us for about a week and a half. She is a love bug and the best nap buddy ever. In fact as I write this shes curled up in a ball on my lap taking a puppy snooze. Although we LOVE her and she is our absolute baby we are having some serious crate issues. I am home all day while my husband heads off to base Monday - Friday. As such it's been wonderful and idea for potty training because I take her out ever 30 minutes to pee and stay extra long every 2 hours to poop. Keira is 2 months old now. In any case even though I work with her all day and make the BIGGEST deal of her going potty outside with love, happy voices, treats and all she will still have accidents inside- I don't yell at her unless I see her do it and even then I just make a loud "eh eh eh no maam! potty outside!" and take her out. If I don't catch it I just clean it up and take her out. WHAT am I doing wrong!? On top of all this she keeps peeing and pooping in her crate! it's small she only has room to stand turn and lay. she still poops in it- covers it with a blanket and lays in it. Ive had to give her 3 baths this week! I just do NOT comprehend! I take her out ALL day SO many times a day! why is she going potty in her crate!? HOW DO I STOP IT!? >.<

thanks yall! have a great day!!!

Enigma
Forum Junky

Re: Puppy crate problems! help us!

Postby Enigma » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:54 pm

It's a 2 month old puppy, you're expecting too much too soon. Here are a few useful tips:

http://pamsdogtraining.com/how-to-house-train-your-puppy-or-rescue-dog-kikopup-emily-larlham-video/

IssyCullen316
Newborn Bully

Postby IssyCullen316 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:13 pm

Enigma wrote:It's a 2 month old puppy, you're expecting too much too soon. Here are a few useful tips:

http://pamsdogtraining.com/how-to-house-train-your-puppy-or-rescue-dog-kikopup-emily-larlham-video/

what a great video! Thank you! :) Im going to get baby gates and confine her to the rooms I am in when I am in them that way she isn't in the kitchen while I am in the livingroom and I can stop her if I see shes sniffing too much or can stop her mid go and take her out. So not allowing her to go potty inside at all is key- alright noted!!! Thank you again. any tips on stopping her from pooping in her crate while we are gone though? we were told she can be left alone on hour for every month old she is up til 6 months. is that true? if so then why is she going after just 30 minutes of bein gone to run errands?

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 pm

I know this may sound weird at first, but after a week or so you will most likely notice a pattern...

Start a journal. Write down the time that your pup does everything. What time she ate. The time she piddled. What time she poops. What time she starts and stops play. What time you give her treats. Etc.

You would be surprised how scheduled your puppy's actions are. Even if some things aren't at the same time every day, you may notice she goes poo 3 hours after eating anything. She has to pee 15 minutes after playing, but 2 minutes after waking up from a nap.

At her age, she is going to poop in her crate from time to time. Don't worry about it, she will out grow this in time. If it is excessive, smelly, discolored, or loose, have your vet do a fecal test. Parasites can cause issues with a dog's ability to "hold it".

IssyCullen316
Newborn Bully

Postby IssyCullen316 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 am

Mooresmajestic wrote:I know this may sound weird at first, but after a week or so you will most likely notice a pattern...

Start a journal. Write down the time that your pup does everything. What time she ate. The time she piddled. What time she poops. What time she starts and stops play. What time you give her treats. Etc.

You would be surprised how scheduled your puppy's actions are. Even if some things aren't at the same time every day, you may notice she goes poo 3 hours after eating anything. She has to pee 15 minutes after playing, but 2 minutes after waking up from a nap.

At her age, she is going to poop in her crate from time to time. Don't worry about it, she will out grow this in time. If it is excessive, smelly, discolored, or loose, have your vet do a fecal test. Parasites can cause issues with a dog's ability to "hold it".

Thank you so much!!! I kept a journal for a day an my husband said I was obsessive so I stopped! Good to know other people think this is a good idea. I am going to start again tomorrow. I know she had to be dewormed and the medicine cause runny stools and she was extra hyper but maybe it didn't get all of it out? I am calling her vet first thing tomorrow. Thank you again I appreciate it so much!!!!!! :nana:

Return to “Training and Behavior”