help w jumping

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Drudown66
Newborn Bully

help w jumping

Postby Drudown66 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:35 am

hey guys, was wondering if anyone had any tips for my situation. for the most part athena (my dog) is pretty chill, she plays with her toys and runs around doing the dog thing. i truly believe in her head she thinks she a lap dog lol she loves to lay and cuddle. its not a big issue but one I'm trying to correct anytime someone comes in the house weather I'm coming home from work or a stranger she's never met, for the next 20 minutes she goes into hyper mode. she will nonstop jump and jump and jump. even if you give her the attention i assumed she's looking for she still jumps all over the place. then after about 15-20 minutes she calms down and is back to normal. is this a issue that can be corrected? any tips would be great. thanks for any help

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Re: help w jumping

Postby Diamondlil » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:27 am

Have you watched any of the Kikopup training videos? There's a helpful one called 'Dog training: how to stop jumping up!' It gives several exercises that work well. For me I found marking the unwanted behaviour with a quiet 'no' helped my Bedlington Bertie understand that I wanted different behaviour, not ever more frenzied jumping. It literally took him 2 days to get the idea that all 4 paws on the floor got him praise or treats, although any praise with him has to be low-key or he gets all fizzy and excitable! The 'no' isn't a punishment in any way, it's simply a cue that the current behaviour isn't what I'm after and Bertie is plenty smart enough to have made the connection.

Drudown66
Newborn Bully

Postby Drudown66 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 pm

ill have to check those videos out thanks. she understand no for everything else, just seems to be this one situation it doesn't seem to work. maybe a different approach will do the trick thanks a lot

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Try telling her to do something other than jumping, like sit or down, and treat like crazy when she does. Sometimes no doesn't mean anything to the dog - you say no and she keeps jumping - no is no fun and jumping is. Sitting or doing a down and stay or go to mat or whatever you pick is still fun and rewarding even though she isn't jumping.

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Postby Diamondlil » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:24 am

chinchi_&_chupa wrote:Try telling her to do something other than jumping, like sit or down, and treat like crazy when she does. Sometimes no doesn't mean anything to the dog - you say no and she keeps jumping - no is no fun and jumping is. Sitting or doing a down and stay or go to mat or whatever you pick is still fun and rewarding even though she isn't jumping.

I totally get what you mean, but as I understand the Kikopup 'method' you mark behaviour offered before pairing it with a command? As in you mark a 'sit' with treats and/or praise then start to give the 'sit' command when the dog actually sits. I may have got it wrong but that interpretation seems to work for us. In Bertie's case working out what I wanted engaged him in using his brain instead of jumping around like a whirlwind!

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 am

Yes, totally! You'll add the command once they start offering and then you'll reward for doing it on command. The most important thing is to give them something you want them to do instead of just saying "no"...thanks to PBF for that, I learned that here :thumbsup: It makes such a difference and the mental exertion wears them out quicker than the physical :)

Drudown66
Newborn Bully

Postby Drudown66 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 pm

thanks for the advise guys

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Postby Diamondlil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 am

Drudown66 wrote:thanks for the advise guys

No worries, hopefully your pup will get the idea and it's so much more relaxing when they learn not to jump up!

Drudown66
Newborn Bully

Postby Drudown66 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:49 pm

ya been has been getting a lot better. she still gets pretty excited with new people but she is getting the ideal. thanks again guys

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Postby Diamondlil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:42 am

That's good to hear! :cheers:

Return to “Training and Behavior”