Barking while playing/frustrated

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
TurbodreamZ
Newborn Bully

Barking while playing/frustrated

Postby TurbodreamZ » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:00 am

My dog has been pretty bad with her barking. She doesn't bark too much when we have people over but she'll bark at random times while she's playing or when she wants attention at night. She doesn't seem to bark at people walking by. I don't reward her or give her attention while she barks but there are times where I have no choice but to go outside and tell her to hush. Her barking is very loud and I don't want trouble with the neighbors. I'll list the things I've done to try to curb the behavior

Totally ignore her
Reward her when she's quiet with treats and say "good hush"
Taught her to "speak" and "hush" she's really good at these when I ask for it randomly

These did absolutely nothing to stop or reduce the behavior. When she's barking I'll tell her to hush and she does but she'll start back up later on in the night

I went so far as to get a e collar. The vibration alone is usually enough to stop the barking but there are times where it isn't and that's when I have to give her the shock. It works without a doubt but she's a smart dog and once you take it off she'll know it's okay to bark again

It's not lack of exercise either. Every night she's either walked or ran along side my bike. She'll do 2+ miles straight at 8-10 mph no problem 2-4 times a week just before dark and she won't even be tired.

I'm running out of options and patience.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Barking while playing/frustrated

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:00 am

My dog is the same except I know exactly why he does it-- sometimes we reward him, and we aren't consistent in our methods to try and get him to stop. It sounds like you're in the same boat. Negative attention is still attention so opening the door and telling her to "shush" IS a reward.

TurbodreamZ
Newborn Bully

Postby TurbodreamZ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

I absolutely agree but like I said there are those rare circumstances when i almost don't have a choice as i live in a quiet neighborhood and risk getting hit with a hefty fine for a barking dog. I think i will just leave the collar on her at night for a while till she gets the idea. I'll report back in a month or so.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

Why not bring her inside before she's barking?

TurbodreamZ
Newborn Bully

Postby TurbodreamZ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 am

I probably would if it was my house but i live with my cousin who doesn't want her inside. All the furniture is brand new and leather and the floors are wood. Even at their shortest length her nails are very long. She'd rip everything up just by touching it. I used to keep her in her crate in the garage on winter nights and that only made her barking worse because she wanted to be inside. Now that winter is over she needs to get used to sleeping outside again.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 pm

I'd bark too.

TurbodreamZ
Newborn Bully

Postby TurbodreamZ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:17 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I'd bark too.

hahaha

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 am

TurbodreamZ wrote:I probably would if it was my house but i live with my cousin who doesn't want her inside. All the furniture is brand new and leather and the floors are wood. Even at their shortest length her nails are very long. She'd rip everything up just by touching it. I used to keep her in her crate in the garage on winter nights and that only made her barking worse because she wanted to be inside. Now that winter is over she needs to get used to sleeping outside again.

Can she wear shoes in the house? They make dog booties that will protect your cousin's floors. You just take them off when she goes outside so they will stay clean. You can teach her to stay off furniture very easily and just crate her when you are gone.

It is just as annoying for your neighbors to hear a dog bark, and then hear a person yell at the dog to quit barking as it would be if she just kept on barking.

If she wants to be inside than she belongs inside.

pitmomma1225
Newborn Bully

Postby pitmomma1225 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:10 am

Ok. I hate to be the one to say this but I agree w pp. I'd bark too. Pitbulls are NOT outside dogs. They're high maintenance when it comes to attention. They want to be WITH YOU! Your dog is barking bc she obviously is miserable being left outside alone. Walking or running her is not enough. Pits need love, affection, attention. That's just how they are. There are many breeds content on being outside all the time but these are not those dogs. My dogs follow me EVERYWHERE. They go out to potty and thats it unless I'm out there with them. Otherwise they're chasing me around all over. If you're not in the position to give her what she needs maybe you shouldn't have her.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

TurbodreamZ
Newborn Bully

Postby TurbodreamZ » Sat May 04, 2013 11:44 pm

I'd agree but I don't leave my dog outside all the time. I'm not one of those owners. If i'm not at school, I'm outside playing with the dog or taking her with me to different places. I'm willing to bet she gets more attention that 95% of dogs. The only time where there's a long period of separation is at night and like I said, there's not much I can do about that except move which I will once I wrap school up. If anything, (and I'm sure this will upset some people), the attention I give her is what's making her bark when she's alone at night. I don't think I should give up my dog because of this.

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Postby Diamondlil » Thu May 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Dogs need to be with their owners, not tied up or shut outside. You are putting your pet in solitary confinement. I do understand that right now you live somewhere where you can't set the rules, but in that case, why have a pet you can't provide a good environment for. This may well sound harsh, but no-one has an innate right to own a dog.
A run or walk once an evening isn't enough exercise and stimulation for a high-energy dog that needs to be with its owner to be content. You may well feel you are better than some owners, but is that good enough?
Ok, some people beat their dogs, starve them, leave them tethered with collars growing into their skin. You don't. But some people take their dogs out 4 times a day, spend an evening with their happy pet curled up at their feet, spend time stimulating their dog with training in agility or obedience. You don't.
Why should your dog have to spend its life being shut away from you in a yard with a collar delivering shocks to it when it vents its frustration by barking? How is that being a good owner?

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Fri May 24, 2013 12:54 am

Solitary confinement? Do you people have jobs outside of the home that take you away for 8 hours a day? Because that's just CRUEL! How dare you expect your dog to be alone for such a long time!

Seriously people. What's worse? A dog has a loving home that gives her what they can until the situation improves or a dog sits in a shelter waiting to be stuck with a needle because they are overrun with pit bulls? Do you suggest the OP contact local rescues and tell them 'I want to give up my dog because people on the internet said I'm cruel for keeping her outside'?

If I were in this situation I'd beg my cousin to let me have my dog indoors as long as she wore booties at all times and was kept on a leash when she's out of her kennel to prevent ANY kind of accident. If he won't then it's a matter of making the best of the situation. If the barking is a serious problem and there's a lot of school left to wrap up I'd look for my own place.

Diamondlil
Newborn Bully

Postby Diamondlil » Mon May 27, 2013 5:47 am

I'm sorry, but I disagree. In which part of being a caring owner is it ok to use an electric collar to stop a dog from barking?

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Mon May 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Diamondlil wrote:I'm sorry, but I disagree. In which part of being a caring owner is it ok to use an electric collar to stop a dog from barking?

The idea of pushing your views onto everyone else and expecting them to go along with them to the point of bullying others and accusing them of abuse and neglect isn't the adult thing to do.

Plenty of people are 'caring owners' and don't see a problem with using e-collars and bark collars on their dogs. You are not better than they are. You just share different views on dog training/owning.

Return to “Training and Behavior”