2 Dogs and a Baby - advice needed

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
erinago06
Newborn Bully

2 Dogs and a Baby - advice needed

Postby erinago06 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 am

Hello,

I have two dogs, 1 female pittie 3 years old and a male 4 years old, both very friendly. I also have a niece who is 10 months. I baby sit usually 1 day per week and am having a hard time with my female. She is very focused on the baby, will lick her constantly and crowd her if I try to put her down. She looks at her like a toy, and I can tell she cant figure the baby out. Up until now I have had help, but today and again this week will be alone with the baby and the dogs. I have them behind a gate now, but I do not want to do anything that will have her associate the baby with bad. At this point, she is not safe to be around the baby and I would like to have a starting point until I can get a trainer here on a day with baby is here too. She does have a crate, but im worried she will think she is "punished" whenever the baby is here. She doesn't use her crate often, and I only recently took it out to begin using it again. She is a very attentive and affectionate dog. My male is great, but it is hard to manage both. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Amie

Re: 2 Dogs and a Baby - advice needed

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:00 am

Crate or at the very least gate her away from the baby, but give her a stuffed kong, bully stick or something else high value that will take her time to get through.

erinago06
Newborn Bully

Postby erinago06 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:50 am

Thank you. I crated her and gave her a bone that kept her busy for a few hours. She is back crying behind the gate now. I worry about her getting a bad association with babys because I am either telling her to back away, or keeping her separate from the rest of the family.

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Teaching her to "leave it" when it comes to anything doesn't have to be bad association. Get some super yummy treats and when you tell her to leave it and she backs away, tell her yes or good and treat. Sit and stay is another good one - tell her what you want her to do instead of just telling her no. It might make more sense to start with just the baby carrier instead of the baby, but if you do this right, "leaving" the baby will be fun and rewarding and she'll learn boundaries. There is no reason to feel bad about putting her in her crate if she is exercised and has something to keep her occupied. :thumbsup:

Return to “Training and Behavior”