pit bull chasing cat

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
morganmariah
Newborn Bully

pit bull chasing cat

Postby morganmariah » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Don't let the subject confuse you, my cat is chasing my pit bull. I think Kitty is jealous of Luna, but that doesn't mean I'll tolerate this kind of aggression. I want them so badly to get along. Luna tries to play (lying in front of Kitty and chomping the air), but Kitty swats at her, hisses, growls, then swats again. If he didn't use his claws, I wouldn't mind, but he does and they're sharp. he's cut her snout multipel times (she hasn't learned her lesson yet). When Luna gives up and gets tired of being swatted, she sits up and then scampers away as Kitty continues to assault her. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get a dog and a cat to get along?

if it helps, Kitty is 2 years old, while Luna is 8 months.

Curly_07

Re: pit bull chasing cat

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm

lol I have no advice. My old cat terrorized my dogs daily until he passed. He was pure evil to them. They'd try to sleep next to him or play occasionally, but he always ended up chasing them around the house. His favorite was swatting them thru the crate rails while the girls would be crated and asleep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:35 pm

You can clip the cat's claws. It might just be in my head, but one of the 4 shop cats at my job has his claws and attacks one of the others. I call clipping his nails an attitude adjustment :)

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:55 am

Train your dog to leave the cat alone. The cat does not think your dog is playing.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:50 am

buckaroo wrote:Train your dog to leave the cat alone. The cat does not think your dog is playing.

:goodpost:

BOTH animals can only be in the room together if they are calm. Otherwise, they are separate. When Rob moved in with me he had two cats that would attack either of my pit bulls. The first time they met was actually at Rob's house, and Liberty was scared to go inside, and she loves Rob and loves cats. Both of my dogs are terrific with cats and extremely appropriate, bordering on the inappropriately tolerant when being attacked, but I won't ask them to put up with that.

It takes TIME. It took us maybe six months to get to a point where the cats could be truly calm in the same room with the dogs. And that's only because the dogs weren't acting up in anyway, and were very calm in all their dealings with the cats. Had they been energetic and in-your-face at all it would have taken much longer.

morganmariah
Newborn Bully

Postby morganmariah » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm

they're both pretty calm about it. earlier, Kitty was sleeping under the chair and Luna walked passed to get some water. When she came back by, he swatted at her 3 times (seems to be the number cats like most for swats) and then went back to sleep. he's pretty much a jerk. I got the cats a new litter box with a privacy cover and he traps the other cats in it by swatting them when thu try to get out... /sigh

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Just remember that if your cat keeps bullying the other cats and causing pain/frustration to your dog, the odds of a real fight happening, increase.

Your dog may end up gutting the cat, or you end up with two cats at the vet because of a cat fight.

The dog playing with the cat is bad(because its not mutual), but the cat's behavior is unacceptable too. Problem animals shouldn't be allowed to run free and bother the others.

Animals do get anger and resentment toward each other and DO get to a point where they hate each other.

Just something to watch out for.

morganmariah
Newborn Bully

Postby morganmariah » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:Just remember that if your cat keeps bullying the other cats and causing pain/frustration to your dog, the odds of a real fight happening, increase.

Your dog may end up gutting the cat, or you end up with two cats at the vet because of a cat fight.

The dog playing with the cat is bad(because its not mutual), but the cat's behavior is unacceptable too. Problem animals shouldn't be allowed to run free and bother the others.

Animals do get anger and resentment toward each other and DO get to a point where they hate each other.

Just something to watch out for.

Luna doesn't try playing that much. she just stays in the "play bow" position while Kitty squints at her. They're never left alone together, either. if i'm not in the apartment, Luna and Nala are both in their kennels. there's too much for them to destroy otherwise cause there's not a lot of storage space here.

every now and then, Luna will be asleep, and Kitty will end up near her without being a jerk, or vice versa, but she usually goes to her kennel to sleep.

i think they're getting more used to each other. Kitty spent the first 3 months of his life being chased by dogs and then the next year and a half in a dog free world.. so i understand him not trusting her, especially when he watches her play with Nala, and they get kinda rough. The last few days they haven't really seemed at odds, but i've been trying to keep Luna distracted from him more, so that might be it..

Return to “Training and Behavior”