Leash training puppy

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
maitrees1990
Newborn Bully

Leash training puppy

Postby maitrees1990 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Shes 6 months and pulls on the leash as if shes the leader and knows exactly where she is going? Lol Whats easiest way to train her without looking to ridiculous? And is it normal shes still having accidents in the house?
Thanks

Amie

Re: Leash training puppy

Postby Amie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:29 am

At six months it's normal for her to still be having accidents occasionally.

The easiest way to leash train is to be very consistent! I teach this: you get awesome treats for walking right next to me. You get to keep walking and sniffing if you're appropriate. If you pull, you don't get to keep walking (that is, I'll stop, and even turn in the other direction if you still keep pulling)

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 pm

taurustendency
Newborn Bully

Postby taurustendency » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm having the same issue with my 4 month old Lego. He pulls a lot! When I stop, he stops and sits down next to me right away. But as soon as I start moving again, he starts pulling again. When I change directions, he gets even more excited as this just offers more things to sniff. If I hold the leash loose, he takes it all. If I hold it tight, he starts biting at it. I've tried treats too, it works well at getting him to come back to me, but as soon as he eats it and knows I'm done, he takes off again. I've also tried letting him know I have the treats and not giving them to him, hoping he would think he needs to stay close for it, but his attention only last a few seconds.

He does less sniffing when the other dogs are with us, but still pulls. Without the otheir dogs he's just nuts. I figure it's still just puppy excitement, and have no idea if anyone ever worked with him before or while in the shelter...but any pointers on anything I havent tried yet would be great!

phanesoul
Newborn Bully

Postby phanesoul » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 pm

When i got out of the military I came home to my parents house and to a 2yr old black lab named princess, She soon became my buddy and i would always take her on walks at night. At first she was very wild, my parents probably had never takin her on a walk and they didnt take any time to housebreak her, she was just a mess, but happy as could be to be around me, I had no clue about training at dog to walk at that time so i researched and what worked for us was this.

When i took her out, i stuck to the middle of the street at first, nothing to sniff besides asphalt. as sooon as we would leave she was already pulling when we got out the door. I would snap the leash several times, stop after about 5 times and then stopped and had her sit by my left foot until she calmed down a little, when she was calm enough i would just take off walking without letting her know & repeat if she didnt respond to my further requests to keep closer to me. Doing it this way took probably two or three months (maybe 3 walks a week)and she would stop pulling and walk at least with a little slack on the leash or i would make her sit & calm down and well, she didnt like that she wanted to walk lol. Every once in a while i would have her stop, esp if she just didnt wanna listen at all, and i would alpha roll her and give her a nice bite on the neck and hold her there for a few seconds. The first time i did this it was like a 180 when we started walking, she wouldnt neccessarily be right at my ankle walking, but she didnt wanna pass my "lead" and looked like she was watching more of what i was doing instead of whatever she wanted to. After about a month of this and i started letting her off the leash and walking. I would have her stop and take off the leash after she calmed down and would tell her to "go on", she would make a clover leaf pattern around me (i would randomly call her 2-3 timesand have her sit by me for just a few seconds and praise her and send her off again) and when that was done i would have her come to me and once she was sitting next to me then whenever I wanted I would just start walking and she wouldcooperate with following me. most of the time she would be about 15 feet in the grass to my right or left, but she wouldnt really pass my lead unless something caught her attention. As soon as I saw her stop and freeze up i would call her IMMEDIATELY and get her attention and have her sit next to me and calm downbecause if i let her look too long she would bolt. I would say talking to your dog helps too, even with my new puppy The General, i talk to her and have conversations with her. I think talking helps... just random convo. you might seem a bit outta your mind in public, but then again who cares. I also would take Princess out all the time and play fetch with her outside for 1-2 hour periods at least once a day.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:10 pm

There is so much wrong with the above, and I don't have time to explain it at the moment. Hopefully another Mod, like Amie will pop in. Anyway, please do NOT alpha roll, bite, slap/pop the leash on the dog, or disobey leash laws. There are better, more effective positive training and responsible ways to do things. The only time your dog should be off leash is if you have a proven recall and are in an area where it is legal to have them off leash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 am

Alpha roll, biting and growling at the dog, and similar methods have been proven time and time again to be outdated and mostly ineffective. In short, the dogs that will let you do it without fighting/biting/killing you don't "need" it, and the dogs that "need" it won't let you do it. The person who first came up with the whole dominance pack theory nonsense has since admitted he was way off base. It is simply dangerous to continue these methods, and truly irresponsible to ever recommend them to another, let alone someone you've never met.

The best way to teach the dog how to walk appropriately on leash is to look at what he's getting from pulling forward (usually that continued walk and the stimulation of sniffing and running that comes along with it) and figure out how to reward him more for walking appropriately than he is rewarded for pulling.

That is, if he pulls, he doesn't get to continue the walk. So you STOP walking. The longer he's practiced the pulling behavior, the longer it will take, but he WILL turn around and let up slack on the leash eventually. Wait him out. Seriously. It doesn't behoove either of you to give in.

Once he's let up on the leash a little, you can say "Yes!" and walk forward again, stopping again as soon as he pulls again. Continue this 100% of the time and you'll see pulling lessen.

You can sweeten your end of the bargain by carrying his favorite treat in your pocket and giving it to him every time he's by your side - every single step he's there, deliver the treat right along the seam of your pants.

This way he learns pulling takes the walk away, walking without pulling has the walk continue, and walking right by your side has the walk continue and awesome treats arrive.

phanesoul
Newborn Bully

Postby phanesoul » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm

After reading all this stuff on here ive realized what ive done wrong previously, mostly the alpha roll and I come from a poor family, so ive never had treats to sweeten the deal lol. I should've clairified what I meant by "snap the leash", when she was puling I would extend my arm out, drop the extra slack in the leash (I always keep about 2 feet of slack rolled in my hand) and snap it to make a wave in the leash as a distraction to get her to look at me then I spoke a command, if she didn't listen so many times we would stop the walk and I had her sit or lay to calm her then continued. I don't like abuse twords dogs and wouldn't cause harm to one..
So Amie,

Lets say im going on a walk, immediately as soon as I hit the street my dog has started pulling. So I stop. Get him in a position I want while im walking and continue. As soon as he pulls again I stop and repeat and/or turn around right? Then after pulling isn't a problem so much, you use treats to coax the dog to walk in a certain position.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Yes! In the beginning when you stop, you might wait a bit, and then the slack in the leash is only the slack when he turns to look to say "dude, why'd we stop?" If you've got treats by your side, he'll come back to get that treat. Really, how precisely he walks is up to you!

I really appreciate your willingness to learn. Many of us (myself included) have done things that make us go "really? that was wrong?" and it's the learning of the better way that makes us better people. We can't undo what we've done, but we can learn from it and not repeat it.

Return to “Training and Behavior”