Jumping Puppy, Please Help!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
phantomjiujitsu
Newborn Bully

Jumping Puppy, Please Help!

Postby phantomjiujitsu » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 pm

My 15 week old pit keeps jumping on people of all ages, but she's just now getting big enough to hurt the little kids when she acts this way. She isnt trying to hurt or nip at anyone, she just wants attention. It seems like the smaller a person is, the more excited she gets.
Maybe the problem isnt so much jumping as it is overexcitedness, and the jumping is just a byproduct of her spazzing? She picks up on commands easily, and is (for the most part) very well behaved otherwise. Maybe I just have no idea how to effectively change this behavior.

Any information, links, videos or articles on this topic would help me greatly. Thanks in advance.

Amie

Re: Jumping Puppy, Please Help!

Postby Amie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:55 pm

1. Drop a treat at the foot of every person she meets. She'll be face down for the treat and not jumping up to faces. That's a quick temporary fix while you get to step 2 which is

2. work on getting her a really solid SIT and no one touches her until she is sitting. No talking to her, no eye contact, nothing. She approaches someone, BEFORE she starts to jump up ask her to sit. If she's thinking of jumping up, you're asking too late. That means you may have to ask her to sit while she's still ten feet away so that her butt can be down by the time she reaches you. But before long she'll learn that the way to get attention from people is to approach them and sit.

Return to “Training and Behavior”