Well, I did it-

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
JAG
Newborn Bully

Well, I did it-

Postby JAG » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:31 pm

I caved and ended up getting the puppy I mentioned in my Introductory post! Little No Name is officially on a trial run basis, as per my husbands request! First night home was last night and it was hard. I was up every hour on the hour; he was crying loudly in his crate. I understand first night away from Mom and littermates is hard and being alone he was probably just signaling for them to come find him; but I never even had a night like that with a newborn baby and I've had two.
Fast forward to this morning, he had to nap WITH me, because anytime I have to put him in his crate he SCREAMS. Should I let him 'cry it out', or is there anything else I can do? He's got his soft bed and blanky, stuff to chew on, and can see/hear me from his crate; I've sternly warned him 'no,' when he cries, which works; at first. Then it ups in pitch and intensity and how long and loud he cries. I then pet him, tell him he is fine but I have work to do, and have given him a small shake by the scruff when he continues, just like his Mom used to (hands though, not mouth ;) ). What am I doing wrong?

Bullseye

Re: Well, I did it-

Postby Bullseye » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Well the best way I crate train a pup.. or indeed an adult is to feed them in thier crate, by that I mean actual feeding time, leave the crate open sling the food in the crate & wait for him to enter it, while he's entering his crate, say "go get in your crate!" & eventually you can close the door, keep repeating this until he associates the crate with feeding time, I've got dogs that can run to their crates 50 yards or more using this method lol...

Let me know how you get on :)

~John~

patty

Postby patty » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Just being a puppy, a few days and all will probably be quiet. Maybe put a blanket or towel over the crate except for one side.

How is No Name doing?

JAG
Newborn Bully

Postby JAG » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:55 am

No Name is great and officially named "Bear" now. :) Thanks to both for the information, I'll definitely give it a try! Our pug boy knows to go into his crate at night because he knows once he's turned in he gets a treat, that's how I trained him; I'd say "crate!" and then (at first) place him in it and hand over a treat, so now his fat butt associates the word with a snack and is totally game at night. It sounds similar to the feeding method; and with Bear still being so young and not really into treats yet, I bet the feeding him in the crate method will work in a similar fashion. I don't need him crated 24/7 but I do like them in there at night time because they're both so young I don't want them having free reign with our old cat and possibly injuring her.

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:09 pm

I have yet to see a dog it doesn't work with, if done in the right way! :))

I will say that most of mine were born in my house, so going in a crate for the night is second nature, but it also worked with the ones that weren't born here, including my rescues :))

Hope you have many brilliant years with your new pup.... & Bear is such an awesome name!!!

What's the ETA on these photos of him? ;)

~John~

JAG
Newborn Bully

Postby JAG » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Bullseye wrote:I have yet to see a dog it doesn't work with, if done in the right way! :))

I will say that most of mine were born in my house, so going in a crate for the night is second nature, but it also worked with the ones that weren't born here, including my rescues :))

Hope you have many brilliant years with your new pup.... & Bear is such an awesome name!!!

What's the ETA on these photos of him? ;)

~John~

ETA should be sometime this weekend ;) If not then, probably Monday! He's such a gorgeous color I can't wait to show him off to everyone here! :D

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Look forward to it my friend :)

patty

Postby patty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Bear has such awesome owners!!

My girl is definitely food motivated and treats work for everything. Looking forward to pictures.

JAG
Newborn Bully

Postby JAG » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks, Patty!

Is that your girl in your profile picture? Whoever it is has such a beautiful, sweet face!

patty

Postby patty » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

My profile picture is my Huggybear, thank you for asking! He was the sweetest boy and earned his name. We miss him alot, he had a great pampered life with his brothers and sisters, traveling, eating and sleeping on the bed. I love that picture of him the lighting made him look angelic. I was lucky to get that shot, I'm a bad photographer and never seem to capture the right moment.

I will post pictures of my new girl BooBoo soon in the gallery section. She is a blue brindle hippo :wow

justasmalldogpack
Newborn Bully

Postby justasmalldogpack » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:45 am

Crate training was horrid with ours. Our male has anxiety and can't be left anywhere alone. He has to be with at least one other dog or a person at all times. If not he panics. We learned about it when we left him home locked in his crate in our bedroom. Came home to find he had broken through the crate. (That strength is crazy!!) AND chewed through a GLASS window of our door to downstairs. There was blood everywhere but luckily it wasn't anything too bad. Just a small cut on his lip and nose. Meanwhile our female is fine with it...now. She used to scream all night and even pooped in there a few times, I stopped crating her and ended up giving her a special part of the bedroom, but when she got older I had her crate out for her to lounge in and put her toys in. Once she figuredoesn't out it was hers she slept in it every night without noise. Honestly I wasn't expecting it. She always cried in her crate and I stopped putting her in there, and then a few months later I start closing her in at night and she didn't mind. Potty training wasn't hard at all with her though. The hard part was training myself to get up so early. (I work quite a bit any sleep is amazing.)

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:22 pm

You did not say how old your new puppy is, if he is very young, they are much like babies and will cry a lot when shut in and left alone.

I had not raised a young puppy in years and when I got a 7 wk old pup, I just let her sleep in bed with me for the first few weeks until she was better settled in and old enough to make an easier adjustment to the crate.

She slept on a towel in case of accidents in the night but she did not have any, and she was pretty easy to potty train as I took her out last thing at night and first thing in the morning. I am a light sleeper and it worked well.

Hope to see some photos of your new pup soon!

Return to “Training and Behavior”