Cesar Millan

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
LizIs
Newborn Bully

Re: Cesar Millan

Postby LizIs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 pm

I love the point he made that dogs are not wolves. You can't study wolf behaviors and blindly apply it to dogs. They descended from wolves but are no longer the same species. We descended from primates but I wouldn't go to Jane Goodall for therapy.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:04 am

LizIs wrote:I love the point he made that dogs are not wolves. You can't study wolf behaviors and blindly apply it to dogs. They descended from wolves but are no longer the same species. We descended from primates but I wouldn't go to Jane Goodall for therapy.

Excellent point.

Not only that but the man who is infamous for coining the terms "alpha" and "dominance" based on his extremely flawed research study has come out on public record admitting his terms are misused and his study was bogus.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:30 pm

http://www.examiner.com/article/celebrity-dog-trainer-s-techniques-end-a-young-dog-s-life?fb_comment_id=fbc_358781997544066_68445911_361319640623635#f3a3d0c46acf7f4

"Please note: Some of the names of the people in this article have been changed as per their request.

Bart was a small three year old dog who paid with his life the dangers of reenacting something learned from a so-called dog trainer television star, namely Cesar Milan.

Bart's guardian Jason and his wife Maria, adopted Bart from the Santa Cruz County Animal Shelter (SCCAS) in January, 2012. The young couple grew up with and loved dogs, and wanted to bring a dog into their new household.

Jason says, "It was important to us to adopt from a shelter because you hear everyday about the shelters getting flooded with animals so we felt it was our moral obligation to adopt rather than going to a breeder."

When the couple spotted Bart, he climbed right into Maria's lap. As for Jason, he says of Bart, "He liked me okay, but men in general he seemed to have a hard time acclimating to."
Kamali with her dog Buddy.
Video: Dog behaviorist gives advice on food aggression

Jason and his wife were soon in love with Bart. Jason says, "We taught him how to sit and roll over within only a few months (treats are quite a motivator). Walks were his favorite thing in the world. Whenever we reached for his walking harness, he would make the funniest little moaning sound in excitement."

Although Bart loved belly rubs and naps in laps, Jason and Maria realized he had a darker side that he exhibited with growls and sometimes displays of teeth. "Bart was well mannered and happy, but he showed some signs of aggression around strangers, growling and snapping."

But it was food that appeared to be Bart's key area of protectiveness. While eating, Jason noticed how he would "hunch down low like he was guarding his food."

Jason and Maria took precautions with Bart especially when friends came into their home. They warned people to give Bart space and to not go near him whenever he was eating a meal.

Then one weekend, a very close friend of Jason's came to stay a few nights so they could all attend a wedding together. Jason urged Russ to be cautions around Bart especially if the dog was eating. Jason says, "When I first told Russ about Bart's food aggression he told me he was going to try to "whisper" him."

The night of the wedding, they returned home late. Jason fed Bart and turned to head upstairs. Russ began telling him about seeing Cesar Milan training a food guarding dog using dominance until the dog finally submitted.

Jason watched as Russ began mimicking what he had seen Cesar Milan do. He stood over Bart (who was at his food bowl), and began to assert himself, leaning closer and closer to Bart's face. Bart was frozen, growling at him. Russ moved closer to Bart, never touching him, but challenging him with his face and eye contact.

Jason was about to intervene when he watched in horror as Bart leaped at Russ. Jason says, "Bart jumped right up and grabbed (Russ) on the inside of his cheek." The damage was severe enough that Russ needed ten stitches.

Afterwards, Jason says that Russ was defensive and slightly remorseful. But he was especially angry at Cesar Milan and conceded that what he had seen on TV clearly was not the correct way to train a dog.

Jason and Maria, who wanted to have children soon, knew that Bart could no longer be a part of their family. Jason brought Bart back to the Santa Cruz County Animal Shelter where a few days later he was euthanized.

Melanie Sobel, General Manager of SCCAS says, "If a dog bites someone in the face, that's pretty bad. We need to ensure that we are placing dogs in the community that are behaviorally sound." She went onto say that what happened to Bart was a tragedy.

Jason has advice for anyone who watches shows such as The Dog Whisperer and TV personalities like Cesar Milan. "Don't believe anything you see online unless it is from a trusted source. These shows are produced purely for ratings and entertainment, not for education."

LizIs
Newborn Bully

Postby LizIs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:01 pm

"When I first told Russ about Bart's food aggression he told me he was going to try to "whisper" him."

8l WTF is wrong with people?!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:38 pm

LizIs wrote:
"When I first told Russ about Bart's food aggression he told me he was going to try to "whisper" him."

When you find that answer please let me know but, for now.....super cute dog in your avatar.

LizIs
Newborn Bully

Postby LizIs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Red wrote:
LizIs wrote:

When you find that answer please let me know but, for now.....super cute dog in your avatar.

Thank you :) Likewise.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go whisper to some fence aggressive labs in the neighboring yard. Pretty sure if I just hop the privacy fence and stare them down my natural alpha skills will win out.

kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby kornygerm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm

LizIs wrote:

More like, what part of, "Do not try this at home" they did not understand..Poor dog....Just let the dog finish his meal and be done with it..

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:06 am

Breaks my heart that they let their family member die despite it having been set up to fail by THEM. Obviously dog bites are horrible signs but man, the dog communicated loud and clear and the human kept pushing anyway, not the dogs fault. Reminds me how important it is to be advocates for our dogs, they are family, can't just give up on them because we fail as owners. Very sad for that poor dog. With proper positive training, resource guarding is fixable, behaviorists deal with it daily. He could have had a super happy life, poor pup.

creiter
Newborn Bully

Postby creiter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 am

And it says that incident happened late at night after the wedding, lets be honest the guy was probably drunk and acting like a big a-hole. I would have bit him too :P Drunk is not the proper state to be in to train a dog, but I suppose it is a good state to be in if you have to watch the dog whisperer...

Return to “Training and Behavior”