HOW TO INTRODUCE A NEW DOG TO A RESIDENT DOG

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
MJ
Adolescent Bully

Re: HOW TO INTRODUCE A NEW DOG TO A RESIDENT DOG

Postby MJ » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:33 pm

I have a ?....I am trying to get my pb used to my friends american bulldog, my dog is a male and his dog is a female....we first introduced his dog with my dog in my house, at first they seem okay and then once and a while one or the other hairs on their back stand up....my dog will go to my friend and his dog would get jealous and then when his dog went to him my dog would get jealous, they don't bite each other or anything but it seems like they are going to fight, so we separate them...when they are outside they seem fine with each other, so inside the house I'm not sure how to stop them from being almost fighting each other....both dogs have been together with other dogs before and they are fine.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:36 am

MJ wrote:I have a ?....I am trying to get my pb used to my friends american bulldog, my dog is a male and his dog is a female....we first introduced his dog with my dog in my house, at first they seem okay and then once and a while one or the other hairs on their back stand up....my dog will go to my friend and his dog would get jealous and then when his dog went to him my dog would get jealous, they don't bite each other or anything but it seems like they are going to fight, so we separate them...when they are outside they seem fine with each other, so inside the house I'm not sure how to stop them from being almost fighting each other....both dogs have been together with other dogs before and they are fine.

You might actually want to start a new topic here in the Training and Behavior section, Often times people don't answer new questions in the stickies for some reason.

RoxieRules
Newborn Bully

Postby RoxieRules » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for posting this. I am seriously thinking about another dog. I'm sure Roxie gets lonely when I'm at work. But really didn't know how to go about doing this, the process. This is GREAT GREAT info!!!

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:51 pm

Maryellen wrote:INTRODUCING A NEW DOG TO A RESIDENT DOG

The following guidelines will help assist you in welcoming a new dog into your home. While we realize that you are anxious for everyone to get along and start functioning as a pack, you must remember to take things slowly over the course of at least 3 weeks. Rushing things now, will certainly destroy any chances you have of establishing a good relationship between the dogs.
Remember to take the time to bond with the new dog without the other’s interference. He/she needs to establish a relationship with you too, so they can learn to trust and obey commands.
Normal day to day routines of your resident dog and attention given, should be the kept same to avoid jealousy of the new dog.
You can have years of enjoyment with your resident dog and your new dog, if you don’t rush things and follow the advice given. Remember, you cannot backpeddle if you decide to rush things and put the dogs on guard with each other. By doing it right the first time, you will be rewarded in the years to come.
Please review our multiple dog guidelines to help in establishing yourself as the leader of the pack and avoiding potential fight inducers.

1. Introduce the dogs in a neutral location (at the shelter, at a park, down the street, etc). If you have more than one resident dog, introduce them one at a time.

2. When the dogs greet and sniff each other, talk to them in a happy, friendly tone of voice and offer each one treats (give the treat to the resident dog first).

3. Introduce the dogs only for brief amounts of time, but do it repeatedly.

4. If one dog acts submissive to the other (rolls over and shows belly) that’s great - reinforce this behavior (say “good boy/girl” and give treats) even if it is the resident dog.

5. Try to keep the leashes loose at all times. A tight leash transmits your anxiety about the situation to the dogs and increases their tension.

6. Watch for any body postures that tell you that the dogs are getting tense (raised hackles, baring teeth, growls, stiff-legged gait, prolonged stare). If you see these behaviors, interrupt them by calling the dogs away from each other and have them do something else like sit.

7. Watch for dominant body postures (one dog putting his chin or neck on the shoulders of the other dog, or placing a front foot over the others shoulders or back). If the other dog submits to these postures that’s fine, if not, interrupt them by calling them away from each other and having them sit.

8. DO NOT hold one dog while the other is loose.

9.Until the dogs are comfortable with one another, do not let them together in a small space like a car or hallway.

10. Until the dogs are comfortable with each other, do not let them alone unsupervised while you go get a drink or whatever.

11. Allow a natural dominance heirarchy to develop. Whenever the dogs approach each other, speak in a happy, encouraging voice. If they are behaving well together, give treats so they associate good things with each other’s presence.

12. GO SLOWLY - if they do not do well at first, separate them except during managed interactions. Make sure all interactions are positive using happy voices and treats.

13. DO NOT USE PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT if fighting breaks out. Just say “NO” loudly, then call the dogs back to you and make them sit.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything listed. I would add walking the dogs together to bond the pack behavior. It gets the dogs to work together in a neutral setting and allows them to be around each other without focusing on each other completely.

gerry
Newborn Bully

Postby gerry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 pm

A number of good ideas were posted in this thread, together with the important qualification that nothing is set in stone and the cases will vary. One other factor I don't think was mentioned was the person(s) involved. The more nervous or unfamiliar with dog introductions that you are, the slower you should go in smaller steps. Both because the dogs will sense this, and because this may prevent you from seeing all the detail in their interactions. As to which specific steps to use, the answer is simply to use those that work, finding out by trying and carefully observing.

But, remember, your experience may wildly vary. At the local shelter playgroup today we introduced four new pits, with the old group already having several other pits with them. While not the same as a household by any means, it does show that with randomly selected dogs (even pits) the introductions often can be much faster and calmer than some might think.

ChelseaB
Newborn Bully

Postby ChelseaB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Excellent post! Try also not to rush anything, no matter how good it seems to be going! Sometimes it's very tempting to fast-forward a few steps if the intro seems like a love connection from the beginning. Remember, 2 weeks of 10 minute, closely supervised playtime that ends on a positive note is a MUCH more effective meeting than an hour hour romp that gets carried away and ends in a fight! Mistakes are A LOT harder to undo in a doggies mind than to keep it slow and steady from the get go.

Sydnops
Newborn Bully

Postby Sydnops » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 am

How would you do the introductions with puppies? I don't know if I'm doing it right with my two now but it seems to be working out fine. My older girl, Pause, always had a problem with dogs (puppies in particular) that got in her face. She wouldn't hurt them but she would growl and show them they are in her space. With this new puppy, she started out like that on the first few days and now she plays with her and all I did was let things run their own course. I'm just curious as to how you would normally do it since with the puppy, she's only about 5 weeks so treats are a little hard for her to chew haha.

Return to “Training and Behavior”