HOW TO INTRODUCE A NEW DOG TO A RESIDENT DOG

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Steve Armes
Newborn Bully

Postby Steve Armes » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 pm

GREAT post. Maryellen, I am glad you elaborated on your first post, since you added some things that I have learned to be helpful. For example, your comments about walking the dogs together was very much on point. I actually prefer to jog with them together, as that causes them to focus on migration and not each other. Travelling together is a great way for dogs to bond. I would question only one thing out of all of your other GREAT advice. If a fight breaks out, I am not sure that voice commands are the best way to break it up. Cesar says that sound can actually exacerbate things. What I have read about breaking up fights is that it takes 2 handlers, each of which should pick up a dog by its hind legs and wheel them away in a circular fashiom, like a wheel barrow.
I struggle with the idea that some dogs simply will not be social with other dogs. I know that renouned trainer Jason Mann might suggest the same thing, but I want to believe that any dog that is not genetically deficient due to bad breeding can learn to submit to the wishes of its handler. However, most people do not have the time or resources to quarantine and work their dogs to make this happen. It can be a full time job! I have 3 rescue dogs, one of which is an APBT, and I run them 4 miles every day with heavy back packs. I feed them with their bowls 1 foot apart and they do what I want, period. Owning dogs is not like having potted plants. It must become your hobby and avocation. Thanks for a great post.

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:34 pm

If the resident dog is 1 year and 5 months.. And it's 12 week puppy I need to introduce... Does is it have to be neutral location?

Steve Armes
Newborn Bully

Postby Steve Armes » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:01 pm

It depends. What breed are the dogs? Many bully breeds that may have dormant aggressive tendencies may not show it until 2 to 3 years of age. In my view, based on the advice of our trainer, I would bring the dogs together with no face to face meeting and walk or run them for a long period so they can bond as a pack and accept your leadership. Then I would put them in the yard off leash because leashed dogs can sense the stress of the handler. Just be prepared to intervene. Most trainers would tell you not to leave them unattended until you are certain a fight won't break out.

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:28 am

They are all pitbulls. 1. ROOKIE 6months 2. LEGEND 1year 5months 3rd new member "TRUTH

He's showed aggressive to my big one LEGEND. And legend just wiggles and curious.

Every time TRUTH (new member) Shows any signs like growl... I tap him with the CESAR technique and it works.. He just need time.

I already the introduction and the whole parallel walk thing .

But what i did this morning: I put TRUTH in a crate and HAVE Legend on a down position close to the crate. Very calm. but when Legend sniffs a little closer.... TRUTH get a little edgy thats why I have to stick my hand inside the crate and tap hip out of it. And he'll behave and try to interact.

This is only 2nd day.

Are they ready to walk together. TRUTH is only 12 weeks

here is TRUTH

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 am

it depends on the dogs.. if the 12 week old pup is being a snot some adult dogs can put them in their place no problem. some adult dogs hate pups as they are too bouncy.

you have to do what works for you.

however, to put an adult pitbull off leash with a puppy in a neutral area off leash is asking for trouble if the adult pit bull decides he /she hates the pup, you will have no control over the situation.

in my house i bring pups in to the house, and while holding the pup let the 2 older dogs smell the pup. then i put the older dog away and keep the younger dog out, and take him and the pup out on the deck. pup is leashed. let pup down (as i know my young dog LOVES pups so no worries there) and let them interact for a while. once that is done, young dog goes in, and i bring out the sea hag. she is harder to accept any dog or pup, so with her its a gradual 2 week thing with new pups in my house..

some dogs wont correct pups with bad behavior, some will. my rottx never corrected any pups i had, while my gsd would start out overcorrecting then regular correcting, my younger dog pitx he corrects just right.. you might have to step in to correct the snotty pup if the older dogs wont.

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:48 am

So FAR SO good .. I did the same way I thought it would be. He knows he can die with Legend Lol But with the young one ROokie.. He tolerates it but not for too long cause ROOKIE always .. I mean ALWAYS wants to play...

:thumbsup: But soo far We feel like :nana:

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:23 pm

We have three adult females, Storm and Chino are seven and two and absolutely love the puppy, no worries there, However three year old Loki gives me some worry and we have yet to try and introduce Dr. Mambo our 12 week old new kid to her, Loki has some DA issues mainly with other females but she has had issues with some males, The reason i'm so worried about introducing the two is because of the experience we had with Tank meeting Chino, Tank was our first "real" bully and when he met Chino everything was fine for about three mins, then he grabbed her by the back of the neck and tried to kill her, Thankfully for her there was a busted chunk of board in the yard i could use as a break stick. So here we are again with a pup to introduce to an adult and i've got the heebeejeebees about it, I want Mambo and Loki to be friends but i don't want their relationship to be strained like Tank and Chino's was after she met him a second time at 6 mos and i certainly don't want him hurt. I would think she would be more accepting of him now at a young age and i really don't want to have to wait until he's bigger to intro them unless that's the only way it can be done without risk to him. Honestly intro to her would almost be easier with an adult male but when the male is adult there's no two ways about it either she likes him or she doesn't. I would think that intro to a young boy would be better so he can learn how to interact with her as he grows. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much welcomed. THX

DharmaGirl
Newborn Bully

Postby DharmaGirl » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:02 pm

So as was explained in my introduction http://pbf2.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1462845#1462845 I'm just bringing a 10-12 week old pit puppy into my home with my 1 year old american bulldog cross. Bodhi has no problems with the little one, he gets a bit too rough when they're playing, but she lets him know. What I'm wondering is having never brought a puppy into a home with another dog, is there a methodology to maintaining the pack dynamic that i've worked hard to set up? I've heard that if you don't give enough guidance to the pup it'll look to the older dog as the alpha and that could be trouble as we raise her.

Also, how young is too young to be going to a social place like a dog beach or dog park (obviously understanding the responsibility to always keep a bully under leashed control)?

I've tried searching but had trouble finding this exact info. Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to the support as we raise our family and contribute to beating the stereotypes!

Pitbull-Mastiff
Newborn Bully

Postby Pitbull-Mastiff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:49 pm

I have been having trouble with my Mastiff and 9 week old APBT pup. Caine (my mastiff) is esentially terrified of the pup. Lola is very interested in him and seems to want to play non stop. Caine never wants to be around her, he sees her and runs. She trys to lay on his pillow and stuff but i try not to let her. I want her to know Caine is the house dog so she wont be agressive toward him in the future. Its only been two weeks and he has slowly gotten better but he is still avoiding her. He is only 4 and loves older dogs. Is it that he is just scared because shes so small or is this just not going to work at all? Is there any tips or tricks to revert this behavior and is there anything else i need to do to make sure the pup will grow up and see him as family?

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:56 am

I can't believe three of us have posted questions here and not gotten a single reply!

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:04 am

If you really want people to answer, probably best to start a new thread. I know I tend to ignore new posts in the stickies, or just overlook them as I'm scrolling down to see what new posts there are.

MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Postby MissVicky » Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 pm

much appreciation for this post!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat May 02, 2009 12:04 pm

this post was for general dog breeds, NOT pitbulls.. it is a great starter that has to be tweeked per breed, but some of the stuff is general and good for any dog. you have to take what you can use and tweek the rest.. voice commands might not work on all dogs, some stuff will, some wont.. its a GENERAL suggestion for introducing dogs, and again, NOT set in stone.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:52 pm

Since you said that you do things differently with puppies, I have tried to show equal attention to my resident dog and my new puppy. Helena seems to want to play but she does do the paw on the back and my puppy submits, he has gotten excited about her play antics and will occasionally put his paw up to her or bounce at her or spin around in a circle. I thought Helena might be jealous so earlier I crated the pup and gave her some one on one tug play and she seemed more at ease around the puppy after wards. I have been correcting her for putting her paw on his back because he is still very small and I don't want her to hurt him.

freakfingers12
Adolescent Bully

Re: HOW TO INTRODUCE A NEW DOG TO A RESIDENT DOG

Postby freakfingers12 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 am

Cool. thanks for the info. I wanted to adopt this rottweiler pup but am afraid my pit bull wouldn't agree. roflmao

Return to “Training and Behavior”