Vinnie decided he didn't want to be caged anymore..

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
User avatar
ebbtide
Newborn Bully
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 am

Vinnie decided he didn't want to be caged anymore..

Postby ebbtide » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:16 am

Apparently, he no longer wants to be left in the cage while i'm gone.. He normally only spends a couple hours crated anymore, from when my roommate leaves for work and I get home.

(sorry for crappy camera phone pics)

Image
Image

I'd like to leave him out anyway, he's just over a year old. Problem is, he eats my couch, remotes, candles, whatever else he decides to blend up. He never swallows anything, just chews. He's getting better, but not quite there yet..

User avatar
Stormi
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5078
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Postby Stormi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:22 am

what do you give him in his crate while you are gone? how long are you gone per day?

User avatar
spammie
Moderator
Posts: 11104
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: Mid Missouri

Postby spammie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Looks like Vinnie was bored lol or maybe had separation anxiety. I give my two frozen kongs to work on while crated. I also use zip ties on my crates to prevent Houdini from escaping. They're cheap...1.50 for 50 ties.

FreedomDove
Newborn Bully
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Postby FreedomDove » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:30 pm

I had a 30 pound cattle dog completely destroy one of those crates in 6 hours. She bent all the bars, broke the welding, and flipped it upside down, and got out. She would rather be an outside dog, with a large kennel that was completly escape proof.

User avatar
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Athens, GA or Charleston, SC

Postby Roxers » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:38 pm

I hope this is not the beginnings of separation anxiety. You have to be careful with SA dogs and crates. We had a dog that had SA and would break out of crates. We made the mistake of getting a wire crate she couldn't get out of... but she still tried and cracked two of her canines :sad:

So you need to treat the source of the problem rather than just the immediate one of escaping the crate. I don't know tons about separation anxiety, but I'm sure there are others on here with more advice about diagnosing it. Also, you could talk to your vet about it.

I would definitely start by giving him very interesting stuff to work on when you leave him in the crate, and see if that helps.

User avatar
ebbtide
Newborn Bully
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 am

Postby ebbtide » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:30 pm

He's really only in the crate 2 or 3 hrs a day Mon and tues, and another 3 hrs wed and thrus (i'm in class). The roommate is home all day till 2:30 and I'm home by 5 or so unless there is an errand to run. He's spent far more time than that in the cage before, up to 8 hrs, but never longer. He's part mastiff, and mastiffs are known for SA.

I leave a bone or toys in there for him. As I said, I'd much rather not have to crate him at all. The chewing has started to come under control by removing remotes and spraying the couch cushions with that sour apple stuff. If that continues to work, I'll leave him out with his other toys and kongs to keep him busy.

User avatar
Stormi
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5078
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Postby Stormi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:30 pm

Without knowing more details from the OP, there's no evidence if its seperation anxiety or simple boredom. If there are other factors involved (self mutilation, vomiting, diarhea, excessive howling and vocalizing, anorexia), only then could we offically diagnose seperation anxiety. To the OP: if any of these symptoms sounds familiar, PM me immediately.

User avatar
ebbtide
Newborn Bully
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 am

Postby ebbtide » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Stormi wrote:Without knowing more details from the OP, there's no evidence if its seperation anxiety or simple boredom. If there are other factors involved (self mutilation, vomiting, diarhea, excessive howling and vocalizing, anorexia), only then could we offically diagnose seperation anxiety. To the OP: if any of these symptoms sounds familiar, PM me immediately.


He displays none of those symptoms. He eats very well. I only notice diarhea after certain kinds of rawhide bones (i switched type/brand and haven't noticed since). He only barks excessively when he knows i'm outside and can see me. He's quiet in the house when i'm gone ( i live in a duplex and the neighbor would hear).

I'd imagine it's boredom, but I will keep an eye on it.

User avatar
ebbtide
Newborn Bully
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 am

Postby ebbtide » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:35 pm

spammie wrote:Looks like Vinnie was bored lol or maybe had separation anxiety. I give my two frozen kongs to work on while crated. I also use zip ties on my crates to prevent Houdini from escaping. They're cheap...1.50 for 50 ties.


The edges were ziptie'd.. and I had a secondary latch of an aluminum caribeaner because he'd jiggle the handle loose. This isn't the first time he's worked his way out. It is the most destruction he's caused in his escape tho..

User avatar
Stormi
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5078
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Postby Stormi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 pm

ebbtide wrote:
Stormi wrote:Without knowing more details from the OP, there's no evidence if its seperation anxiety or simple boredom. If there are other factors involved (self mutilation, vomiting, diarhea, excessive howling and vocalizing, anorexia), only then could we offically diagnose seperation anxiety. To the OP: if any of these symptoms sounds familiar, PM me immediately.


He displays none of those symptoms. He eats very well. I only notice diarhea after certain kinds of rawhide bones (i switched type/brand and haven't noticed since). He only barks excessively when he knows i'm outside and can see me. He's quiet in the house when i'm gone ( i live in a duplex and the neighbor would hear).

I'd imagine it's boredom, but I will keep an eye on it.


In that case, I would suggest getting the lil bugger some work-to-eat puzzles (there's this wonderful invention called a tug-a-jug that if can find it works GREAT!) and other longer duration toys (bully sticks and other long lasting chew toys) to leave with him while you aren't home. Associate being in the great with great things that he doesn't get any other time. And, most importantly, make sure he gets some good heart-pumping exersize before you leave for the day.

User avatar
Stormi
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 5078
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Postby Stormi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Stormi wrote:being in the great


ahem... make that CRATE lol

User avatar
Wesley
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:00 am
Location: Fort Collins, Co.

Postby Wesley » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:55 am

How much exersize does he get? I have found that not giving enough can spark stuff like this. While it could be SA, it could also be that he has a lot of pent up energy and is taking it out on anything he can get his mouth around. I'm fortunate enough to live on a good bit of land so I take my dog out and send her 100 yds out for a tennis ball. She'll sprint all the way out and all the way back. We do this for sometimes an hour at a time 3-4 times a day. She wants to sleep by the end of the day. Try a bike ride for a couple miles and see if that helps.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:49 am

I like Vari Kennels, sure, they may destroy it too, if really determined, but it seems the wire ones are just an invitation to try to get out.
I second the puzzles and a kong stuffed and frozen.

User avatar
ebbtide
Newborn Bully
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 am

Postby ebbtide » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:28 am

The tug-a-jug looks like it'd distract him for some time. Petsmart doesn't seem to carry it though, so i'll order online.

Any other 'puzzle' type toys? He likes peanut butter in the Kong.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:44 am

We just take an empty water bottle and put their kibble for the day in it.
There's a puzzle toy too you can stick all their kibble in.
The water bottles are free after you are done drinking the water.
Just remove the paper and the plastic ring from the bottle.

Have you tried a hard plastic/solid sides crate?


Return to “Training and Behavior”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests