Crating and Schutzhund Question...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Crating and Schutzhund Question...

Postby pjrocco » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:22 am

As of lately their has been a lot of crime in our area. Seven homes in my subdivision alone have been broken into, a BP and Burger King have been robbed at gun point and two months ago the police raided a whore/drug house. The neighborhood used to be nice but with the crappy apartments and the townhouse that neighbor us, have brought a lot of scum into the area. I'm glad I'm a gun owner, but I'm not home 24/7.

Now to my questions...

We currently have two pitties that we crate when we are not home or when they are not supervised. We are thinking about rescuing a 9 month old GSD and put him into schutzhund and having him for companionship/protection. He would be able to roam the house while we are not home or away. Will this cause an issue with my two current dogs being crated and the new dog roaming the house? As for schutzhund, what is the training regimen like? I usually have a house full of kids running, jump, playing and being loud; anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:31 am

schutzhund is a sport, not really something that'll necessarily apply to protecting house and property. it's very formal and stylized.

i would imagine you want something like personal protection or guarding work, which is going to require somewhat different training.

austin.
Newborn Bully

Postby austin. » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:37 am

sounds like its tough in the streets. glad to see you have a firearm to protect your castle.

do your two dogs make some noise when somebody comes in the front door? if they do, then i would suggest that is enough to deter the average burglar.

i can completely understand your desire to secure the fortress, however have you ever considered moving? i only bring this up because of the presence of children. i don't mean to pass judgment at all, but maybe relocating would be more effective in the long run than a schutzhund.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:51 am

As babyreba said Sch isnt really going to be applicable in your situation. You seem to be looking for a guardian/sentry.

if you want to protect the house get an alarm, in most cases they are more consistent, cheaper and more effective. Less risk too.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:13 pm

As Baby Reba said personal protection would be the way to go. Also you would have to consider the training, this wouldn't be done overnight and will take at least a couple of years of training and what happens if the dog you rescue isn't the right dog for the job?

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32 pm

MikeZev wrote:if you want to protect the house get an alarm, in most cases they are more consistent, cheaper and more effective. Less risk too.

x2

And your dog wouldn't be able to call police or fire department should the need arise.
And it cannot be killed (disarmed sure, but not killed) :)

I'm assuming if someone were wanting to come into your house you already have vocal watch dogs, and frankly most of these robbery folk are amateurs and take the easy 'gigs' not the ones with difficulties like dogs, and alarm systems.

My vote is for alarm system, all the way. (And insurance frequently gives rebates if you have a system too!)

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:57 pm

If the people who want to break into your house, bring guns - then your dogs aren't going to be effective. Bullets win over guard dogs. :(

Guard dogs only are really effective if you are at home. They will alert you that something is going on so that you can be prepared.

That's only IF they don't kill the dogs before they notice the burglers.

Return to “Training and Behavior”