Problems with the neighbors dog again, this time it was bad

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

Problems with the neighbors dog again, this time it was bad

Postby PittiMama03031 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:39 am

***To anyone who reads this, this happened because of my stupidity, the dogs, BOTH dogs are innocent victims in this. ***

Okay, so I wrote on here a while ago about my neighbors black lab. Moose had gotten itno a scrap with him. Well, now they have decided that they will jsut let him wander free around the neighborhood, while they are both at work, and there is no one to supervise him. In the past two weeks, he has trashed the side of my car, gotten into my car, and wouldn't get out, forced his way into my house and ran wild, and basically has been a menace. Moose and he got into it on my lawn, last week, and I ended up having to keep Moose in the house most of the day, (I couldn't even let him out to go to the bathroom) until I got out to buy him a muzzle. I didn't think Moose was DA, but I learned first hand that he is, at least with this dog. I have had him muzzled every time he goes out since,then yesterday disaster struck. I had let him out, (muzzle on) and then brought him back in to the house,and took all his equiptment off, including his collar. I know, I know, stupid, stupid, stupid, to not leave his collar on, I never have before, but believe me lesson learned. So there was no sign of the lab when I took him out, so I left him in the livingroom and went out to start up my car. I had been bringing him to the bedroom and shutting the door, so if the lab got into the house, Moose wasn't loose. Second stupid mistake. I got out of my car, and there is the lab, ready for my third stupid act? I thought I would have enough time to get into the door, and you can probably guess what happened next. Oh, did I mention it was snowing and raining at the time? Well, sure enough, because of MY stupidity, Moose got out the door, and latched right on to the lab. I have no stick, I have no collar, and Moose, is soaking wet. I grabbed him by the back of the neck, and tried to get him off, which of course didn't work, so I used the only thing I had, my hand. I wedged my fingers in between Moose's teeth and the labs skin, and luckily i got the worst of the damage. Moose finally decided to let go, thank god, and my damn storm door shut. So here I was, hanging onto a soaking wet dog, by the paws, his paws are slipping out of my grasp, and I know if he gets loose he's probably going to chase after the lab, who had run by that time. I had to let go of one of his paws to get the door open, and the whole time the one paw I have is slipping out of my grasp. Not to mention the dog that has never so much as growled at me, is biting every inch of me he can reach. I was hurting him, and I knew it but there was no way I was going to let go of his paws. Now let me stop here, because this makes my dog sound like he was doing something wrong, I don't feel that way. He wasn't thinking he was reacting. It is my fault this happened, not my dogs. I got lucky this time, the lab was unhurt, Moose had some scratches, and I was the only one who has deep wounds. I was afraid to post this, because i don't want it to be taken the wrong way, and I would never intentionally add to any negative view of the breed. I am hoping to help others avoid putting their dogs in the same situation i put mine. Feel free to blame me, jsut don't blame my dog. What I would like to get some opinions on is what do I do now? I have a nylon muzzle, now, but I don't know if I trust it. Does anyone know of a reliable muzzle they can recommend? I am going to get a some break sticks, and put Moose in the room everytime I open the front door, are there any other precautions I can take to make sure this doesn't happen again? Thanks in advance for any help.

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:47 am

#1 stop blaming yourself. I don't think anyone is at fault, but if I were to point fingers it'd be at the owners of the lab. Nothing gets under my skin more than people that have the ''perfect'' family with their golden retrievers and their labradors that they let wander the town because they're such nice dogs, and all they want to do is visit. Pit bull, basset hound, poodle, any dog that has slight DA will not see these retrievers as friendly visitors. I'd call the owners and give them hell.

Also, don't beat yourself up about taking the collar off, the dog probably enjoys having it off and if you're about to leave, you wouldn't want him to get his collar caught up on something while you're gone. I always take my dogs collars off before crating them because i'm paranoid.

to fix the problem i'd maybe go to a town counsel meeting and ask that they put higher priority on the leash laws...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 am

I'd get on the horn to Animal Control ASAP and get the lab picked up or whatever it takes to get it back under the owner's control or else if that fails, OUT of the area.

I love animals, I love all dogs but when they put my own dog's health and well-being at risk, not to mention my own, I draw the line.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:25 am

2x calling AC, each and every time you see there dog loose, I guarentee after it get picked up a few times they will get the hint. You should not have to worry about strange dogs running into your house and vehicle. For the time being, always have a collar on your dog and leashed when outside. If your dog bites a stray you are not at fault, especially on your own property. I would also carry a breakstick during outside time and an extra leash, can you grab the loose dog and bring him in yourself?

PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

Postby PittiMama03031 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 am

Hi, thank for the relplies guys. I always have Moose on leash when he is outside, and I guess I will have to call animal control. They are trying to get rid of him, but no one wants him because he has no training, and was basically brought home, and left to his own devices. They have a electric fence, which worked at first, but now he usually doesn't even have the collar on. I didn't want to get on anyones bad side, but I guess it will be worse if Moose gets at him again. I brought the lab back home one day last week, because they left him outside in the pouring rain, and he was at my door whining to be let in. They have a kennel for him, but there was no way to latch the door, and they have no shelter for him inside. I spent an hour outside trying to put up a plastic tarp so he could get out of the rain. I feel so bad for that dog. I am having to keep Moose in right now,because once again they've left him out to wander around. I am too afraid to even let him out to go to the bathroom, even with the muzzle on.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:12 pm

that's ridiculous you have to be terrorized by your neighbor's dog! it's not the dog's fault, but i would put the dog in my car, drive him to the pound, and tell them you keep finding him on your property and trying to get into your house.

he's probably better off taking his chances in a shelter, where he might get a better home, than living with a family that doesn't care what happens to him one way or the other. poor dog.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:14 pm

you have to call animal control now.
He isn't loved, wanted or cared for, he is going to get hurt or killed by Moose, hit by a car, and on and on, so going to the shelter is his best chance of getting another home.
It is hard to do, but his life is on short term the way he is livng now.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Yes, call AC. As much as necessary.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:19 pm

I second what Babyreba said - put him in the car and drive him there.
That's just heartbreaking :(

The Teflon Don
Addicted to PBF

Postby The Teflon Don » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm

msvette2u wrote:I second what Babyreba said - put him in the car and drive him there.
That's just heartbreaking :(

Agreed :sad:

M.Anderson
Super Bully

Postby M.Anderson » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:09 pm

put some thought into your door situation. how does the lab get into your house? dont beat yourself up over it, learn from it and move on. it sounds like it was the "perfect storm" of accidents that happened simultaneously.

kaliya5
Super Bully

Postby kaliya5 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Call AC x100

That is in no way your fault. You went above and beyond to keep your dog safe and your neighbors seem to be doing everything possible NOT to do the same with theirs.

This lab sounds like he does not have a loving home at all, and may be wanting to live with you if he keeps showing up in your yard, your car, getting into your house, etc.

Unfortunately he does sound very DA and needs a home that can handle him. Don't be mad at yourself, be mad at your a--hole neighbors.

PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

Postby PittiMama03031 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 am

To Kaliya5 Are you saying I should rehome Moose? I have never had any problems with him and any other dogs. It's just this one dog. I have had small dogs charge him, growling and snapping, and all Moose does is lay down. That was the way he was trained to greet smaller dogs.

To M.Anderson I don't know how mcuh more i can do to try to keep this dog out of my house, I already usually scout the area before even opening my front door, that day I just thought I had enough time to get in. I have already had to wait an hour before to get in, because the dog wouldn't get away from my front door. Even me telling him to go away, go home, even gentle nudges didn't work, he just jumps all over me.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:20 am

PittiMama03031 wrote:To Kaliya5 Are you saying I should rehome Moose? I have never had any problems with him and any other dogs. It's just this one dog. I have had small dogs charge him, growling and snapping, and all Moose does is lay down. That was the way he was trained to greet smaller dogs.

I think she got confused between which dog is DA, I think she thinks you were saying the lab is DA...not your dog, Moose.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:23 am

kaliya5 wrote:Unfortunately he does sound very DA and needs a home that can handle him. Don't be mad at yourself, be mad at your a--hole neighbors.

The lab isn't DA, it's just always there...it's her pit bull Moose that is attempting to fight with it...

Still not at all her fault in any way, it doesn't matter which dog is the aggressor...the lab shouldn't be in her yard/at her doorstep/barging into her house/etc.

Return to “Training and Behavior”