Puppy behavior or disobediance?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ebbtide
Newborn Bully

Puppy behavior or disobediance?

Postby ebbtide » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 pm

Vinnie is just over one year old. At nearly 90lbs, he can be a load to handle. I have been to obedience classes with him, and he responds very well to training. He will come to me, sit, lay down, leave an item, will not take anything from my hands until I allow it, and behaves very well..

However, when I have people over to the house, his attention span drops. He's started realizing that he should not jump on people who enter (I have had to instruct everyone who comes over to ignore him until he sits and relaxes), but even that relapses. He won't sit or stay in one place, even when the people who come over are people he knows well (and are over pretty frequently). He won't leave other people alone when they're eating (he doesn't get table food from me, but will beg others).... Additionally, he only responds to my commands to sit or stay, and will only listen until something (someone) else grabs his attention, which isn't very long..

On one hand, I think it may just come from him being a active and hyper puppy. On the other hand, i'm not sure how long I should assume it would take for him to 'grow out' of it, or what other methods of training I should employ. We've always had people in the house, especially on weekends..

Any suggestions? I'm no where near whits end, and really he isn't bad when people are over, he just decides not to listen very well. And some people don't want to be intruded upon by 90lbs of puppy..

Suggestions?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Have you trained him to deal with distractions? It sounds like he can perform well in low-distraction enviroments, but once distraction is added, his performance goes down. Is that right?

ebbtide
Newborn Bully

Postby ebbtide » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:32 pm

that's about the long and the short of it. What's the best way to train like that? Turn the TV up?

Like I said, he isn't a menace or anything. He will not take food, but he will beg others. He won't force himself on you, but he will charge and stand in your way when you walk... And he won't listen to anyone but me (probably a good thing in a 'bully' breed, no?)

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 pm

I would start slloooowly increasing the distraction level while you are working in a training session. You can't expect him to relate "sit" in a crowded room with new and exciting people and smells to "sit" in a quiet room with just the two of you immediately. It takes slow steps to build him up to that level, especially a puppy!

If you do training routines at home, start adding distractions to the mix. A favorite toy, a familiar person.... whatever it is that distracts him on a very small level. Reward him for being good. What kind of bait are you using? It helps to have some really yummy and stinky stuff to make yourself more exciting than the distraction when initially training.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:49 pm

When we practice stays in class...my trainer has a bunch of wind up stuffed animals that sing and dance...she places them around the room in front of the dogs to add distractions; then sometimes she'll roll a ball past them...knock on the walls, open & close doors.

The stuffies are the funniest...you should see some of the dogs' eyes bug out of their heads. :twisted:

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Do you know when you're going to have people over?

If so, tire him out before hand, so that he can focus a little better...

Return to “Training and Behavior”