How to get in contact with Diane Jessup?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PittiMama03031
Newborn Bully

How to get in contact with Diane Jessup?

Postby PittiMama03031 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:50 am

Hi all, I just read throught the thread "leash training lesson" and I really wpuld like to ask her some questions. I don't know why loose leash walking Moose is so dificult for me. I jsut can't seem to get my head around it. I know it's supposed to be simple, but I guess I'm dumb. I have tried all the things suggested on here, and no I havn't always been consistent, which is probably the reason why it isn't working. I know this, but i am still trying to get him to be able to focus on me when there are other things going on. Treats will work at times, but not if there are other people, and definitly not when there are other dogs around. Moos is still dog reactive, because i undersocialized him when he was younger. I am going to be taking him back to training, which is a good thing but I hate spending the $150 for him to freak out for an hour a week. I am going to do it though. The only thing I have found that works for keeping his attention is a laser pointer. If he sees that come out of my pocket, he will do just about anything for it. The only problem is, he can't see the beam outside, so he doesn't get rewarded by it, and gives up trying to do what is asked. That's if I can get his attention at all. I have tried sounds, food, jsut about everything I can think of to get his attention when he is distracted, and I just can't seem to find the right thing. This is one of the only things I have to work with him on, and I need some suggestions on ways to accomplish it. Any help would be great, and I would love to herar from Mrs Jessup. Thanks.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:30 am

Jessup has a website with a contact information page --
http://www.workingpitbull.com/Contactme.html
She does say "I hate to say it, but I am kinda hard to get a hold of. I'll give you some ways to try below. Please be patient." So, good luck. :thumbsup:

You might consider the services of another trainer, perhaps one more geographically close to you. Most likely, Red (a member here) can recommend someone qualified, if you ask her. And for that matter, she is often generous with useful advice for training.

And yes, pretty much every trainer will tell you that consistency on your part does help Moose understand what you want him to do. In general, you should start in a place with no distractions, and slowly -- s l o w l y -- build from there.

Return to “Training and Behavior”