Aggression VERY IMPORTANT

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:34 pm

was gator fine with your dogs/kids BEFORE the roommate came into the picture? or was gator acting up with your child when the roommate was there? or did Gator act up AFTER the roommate moved in? it seems odd to me that Gator was fine in the beginning, and all of a sudden has these issues, and is showing submissive behavior around the roommate. is it remotely possible the roommate has done things to gator when you are not around to cause gator to act submissive to him the way he is?

And that since Gator is shying away from the roomate when I am around that he is kind of looking at me as his "bitch" and not as the leader of

i am the alpha in my house, my husband is a wimp when it comes to dogs and shows ZERO authority and lets them get away with murder. none of my dogs nor any foster dog i have had in the house has cowered at me or my husband the way that trainer/person is stating gator is doing...

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:03 am

LoveBullies, are you asking to have a behavior consultant to come to your home? With some situations it is important to see the dog in the environment where the problems seem to happen. The living situation of a dog (including who is in the home and how they interact with the animal) has plenty to do with behaviors and to see it is definitely a huge help in the assessment.I would assume that Angelica suggested it, if you already talked to her.Some behavior consultants are contacted only trough phone calls and while you can get useful information and advice I really think it'd be best to work in the home environment.

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:25 am

Red wrote:LoveBullies, are you asking to have a behavior consultant to come to your home? With some situations it is important to see the dog in the environment where the problems seem to happen. The living situation of a dog (including who is in the home and how they interact with the animal) has plenty to do with behaviors and to see it is definitely a huge help in the assessment.I would assume that Angelica suggested it, if you already talked to her.Some behavior consultants are contacted only trough phone calls and while you can get useful information and advice I really think it'd be best to work in the home environment.

Angelica, helped me locate a another trainer closer to my area, since I would need to see Angelica on a regular basis and her the same here.... So she suggested a closer trainer, I am waiting to here back from her (the one in my area) Angelica and I have been talking back and forth and copying the other on all e-mails. We have been looking into Gator's personal life quite some bit, and even my own.

Gator was fine before the roommate moved in, and slighty after. Then the change happened. I've had a lot of changes in my home, and Gator seems to be the only one taking it oddly. After talking to MANY people I've tried to pay more attention to what's happened and what's happening now. I've noticed more now, that my own dogs are not showing him any attention, when they used to play a lot. Which this could be due to Abbey is constantly playing with Blue now, when she used to always play with Gator. Gator used to also play a lot with the roommates Pom, but stopped. He keeps to himself. Angelica is wondering if there may be a medical side of this. Considering where they were rescued from, which if I had not mentioned in this forum I mentioned when I first got him... Him, his littermates and mother were confiscated out of drug bust/dog fighting ring, Gator was not yet born at this time, but was born in the kill shelter in North Florida, he was then transported with his other siblings to the resuce I volunteered for. After talking to Angelica about this, she asked how the other puppies were doing, after calling the director of the rescue and some of the owners, I am now finding out, I am not the ony one dealing with aggression issues or fear issues. There is only one puppy out of 6 that is not accounted for, the owner hasn't called back yet, but I'm fearful of what she'll have to say. Considering they all spoke of types of aggression, one in which was the same aggression and fear issues Gator is having, the only difference is, the have a 6 year old daughter and I have a 2 year old son............ So there is a lot being discussed, I am also looking into a Vet Behaviorist that Angelica referred, I am awaiting a phone call back from the office to set up a appointment.

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:30 pm

UPDATE:

Gator is going to be seeing a Vet Behaviorist is Tampa, that Angelica referred to me. The trainer that is closer to me, has asked I have him seen first for any medical issues, because of his life history. Once that is completed she will evaluate him. I am waiting on an e-mail of a 38 page packet that I have to fill out, then they will schedule his appointment; ASAP. One step at a time, but we're doing it. I will let everyone know the outcome of the vet visit. Thanks to all who understand and have shared their knowledge.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Gator is going to be seeing a Vet Behaviorist is Tampa, that Angelica referred to me. The trainer that is closer to me, has asked I have him seen first for any medical issues, because of his life history. Once that is completed she will evaluate him.

Excellent.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:24 pm

too many dogs, too many people, too less one on one time, too much expected to "be polite" (dogs arent polite really by nature), sees kid as yet another annoyance, room mates,
shuffling, finding reasons to pin "unstable" on the dog.
REally it sounds like your home is really just too much for this dog, and truthfully any dog.

I have too many dogs too, but I sepearate and give on on one attention to them, its just too much to expect them to all work it out and get along.

Behavioursists are nice, but they sometimes evaulate the DOG and not the situation its living in and us.

I found a trainer that slapped ME up and told me pretty bluntly,
its NOT THE DOGS....

And again, alot is going on in your home.. I know you are doing your upmost (sp?) best.

I wish I had more help to offer you.. good luck with the behaviourist, it will be interesting on what they say...

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Blue got adopted tonight... :thumbsup: The family was absolutely awesome, their boxer and Blue got a long so well..... Gator has already starting to go back to being "normal" in which I mean he is starting to be more social again, DO NOT WORRY, we are still being careful and keeping him seperated from my son. But I did want to update that Blue did get a home, so I am hoping I got a "stresser" out of Gator's life. I will NOT be fostering for a long time, until I know exsactly what is going on with my Gator Bait.

Return to “Training and Behavior”